Which flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dflipp

Which flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Post by dflipp » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 pm

So... It's pretty simple. Which flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Occasional flight travel and being throw around between gigs and rehearsals...

Preferably European-made as it would be cheaper to send to my address.

Also, which options and features would you look for?

Ah! And this would be the "last flightcase I would ever need", as I have no plans to upgrade or replace it. I want something that will last and be "permanent" for the next dozen (?!) years... Focused on quality and not getting "low-cost".

Any and all thoughts welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Last edited by dflipp on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: WhWich flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:39 am

Hmm... depends. What kind of amp do you need a roadcase for? Combo? Head? 4X12?

If you're going for a combo, I would suggest getting a case with a top compartment for things you might need. Mine fits pedalboard size stuff. Pictured is my roadcase for my Marshall combo, but I have a similar one for my Orange AD30TC combo.

Oh... and the handle on the bottom is key.

dflipp

Re: WhWich flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Post by dflipp » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:48 pm

bclaire wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:39 am
Hmm... depends. What kind of amp do you need a roadcase for? Combo? Head? 4X12?

If you're going for a combo, I would suggest getting a case with a top compartment for things you might need. Mine fits pedalboard size stuff. Pictured is my roadcase for my Marshall combo, but I have a similar one for my Orange AD30TC combo.

Oh... and the handle on the bottom is key.

Thanks for your reply bclaire!

Yes, I guess I should have gotten a bit more specific. For now, I need a flightcase to fly my Thunderverb head as "special checked-luggage" over to where I'm currently living. Also for the "gigging and moving around" that will hopefully ensue in the near future...

As for my 212, for now, it will have to travel by road on a "souped up/reinforced" cardboard box... My ideia is that it can "take the beating". I ratter not take any chances with and put the amp head through similar abuse...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Wich flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:59 pm

To be honest, just check eBay. Lots of people on there selling road cases for Orange heads. Look closely at the descriptions, and you'll find something.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:41 pm

For the cabinet, it might be simpler to sell yours and buy another in your new location?

Where are you moving from and to?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue May 01, 2018 1:13 am

Thon.

SIXTENCONNECTOR

Re: Which flightcase would you trust your amp to travel with?

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Tue May 01, 2018 3:46 pm

I have safecase (1/2") http://www.safecases.com/ for my Rockerverb head. They are out of Texas though so shipping will probably kill you. My head fell off my 4x12 cab (while in case) on to the street. Loading in before show. I was sure I was F@#%^. Not even a single tube shifted. Like it never happened. I honestly want a 4x12 hard case but even being in the US the shipping for such a thing is a substantial .

Scott
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 02, 2018 8:45 am

Jessica77 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:40 am
Over the course of dozens of flights (mostly international, but also some within the U.S.) over the past several years, I've been able to carry on my electric guitar or acoustic guitar except for a very few times (when it was gate-checked and came out - thankfully - fine on the other side).

For both the acoustic and electric guitar, I travel with them in Mono gig bags. I do have a frequent-flyer status, though, and so I'm usually able to be one of the first on the plane after first/business class board. Most planes that I've flown in have enough room in the overhead bins, although when that wasn't possible I have been helped out by some very kind flight attendants who placed my guitar in the coat closet.

I used to gig more as a bassist than a guitarist, and was never able to bring my bass on board. Back then I used an SKB case (I believe it's called a "bass safe") that held the bass in a gig bag inside the case. I would send that as checked luggage and had (mostly) good experiences. I'd be okay with checking my electric guitar in that SKB case if airlines stopped allowing guitars onboard, but it's size makes it rather cumbersome to fit in vehicles and haul around once I'm on the ground.

Hello!!!

Lovely SPAM in that signature of yours.
bclaire wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:59 pm
To be honest, just check eBay. Lots of people on there selling road cases for Orange heads. Look closely at the descriptions, and you'll find something.
That's got to some of the most creative spam I've seen to date too. With legit answer.... :shock:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am

Banned and deleted her A$$...