2011 AM STD Tele Bridge Pickup De-Magnetized?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

2011 AM STD Tele Bridge Pickup De-Magnetized?

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I was jamming on my amazing 2011 AM STD tele the other day and realized the low E was very quiet compared to the rest of the strings. I took it to my tech and he confirmed that the pole piece on the low E has about half the output of the rest of them (screwdriver tap confirmed). I really love how this guitar sounds, and I don't think I can get the same pickup anymore. Anyone ever experience this before? Is it possible to re-magnetize a single pole piece? All of the demos I've seen show folks doing the entire pickup.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: 2011 AM STD Tele Bridge Pickup De-Magnetized?

Post by bclaire » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Weird. I'd send an email to Lindy Fralin to ask this one....

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

That's a good idea, just send the pickup to Lindy Fralin to fix. I sent him some pickups before to fix and he did a great job at a reasonable price.
Thunderverb 50

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 am

Emailed Fender support. They have one parts supplier that still has the pickups in stock. Just ordered a new one for $30, and had my tech put it in. Probably cheaper than mailing it away and getting it repaired. It's backup and running, though I think the new pickup, although the exact same model, has made my tele sound like a strat. Also, it doesn't seem to cleanup as well as the old one did. Odd. Guess it's impossible to make two pickups sound the same. I'm sure I'll get used to it.