NGD! but with some questions...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: NGD! but with some questions...

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 01, 2018 9:50 pm

I'm drawing a similar conclusion as well :) Was going to say I'm sticking with the big F, but at exactly the same time I was going through the SG drama, I discovered an issue with the bridge pickup in my Tele (needs to be replaced). I do own two guitars from Godin and neither have a single issue, plus they are priced as to not screw over the customer. If I can't cure the new guitar itch pretty soon here, there will be a Godin with P90's in my near future :)

Been eyeballing the Richmond Empire P90 for about a year now. Godin has some of the best playing necks in the biz, IMO of course.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue May 01, 2018 11:59 pm

this morning gibson has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy, restructuring. it looks like the CEO will be forced out but remain as a consultant for at least a year with some kind of financial package for him. they are dropping all their extra baggage companies, like philips, and getting back to the core business of making guitars. and it looks like they are also dropping the 'music lifestyle company' branding and culture, which even the CEO admits was an irrational move on his part.

in the end this could be a good thing for gibson. with focus strictly put on guitar building they might by able to rebound and get their prestige back. i am sure that a lot of employees at gibson are glad that the CEO is finally being ousted. and at the same time i am sure they are scared for their future as well. you can be sure the creditors and investment firms aren't making the employees that actually build the guitars their priority when it comes to making decisions concerning this bankruptcy. also there is some speculation about gibson letting epiphone go (which i think would be a good thing), though i will believe that when i see it happen.

but there is also danger anytime investment firms and creditors are swimming in the shark tank after a chapter 11 so time will tell.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue May 08, 2018 2:14 pm

My 2005 SG was pristine when it arrived, love that guitar so much. I ordered a 57 RI goldtop LP in 2007 expecting the same quality, it arrived looking terrible with many flaws, I contemplated sending it back but being a lefty I knew it would be hard to get another and it played and felt so nice so I kept it. The flaws still bug me but I've learned to live with them. Love my Gibsons but at their price point and bad quality of today I could never justify buying another.
Thunderverb 50