AMP Settings explained and examples

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ViktorTh

AMP Settings explained and examples

Post by ViktorTh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello, so like a month ago I bought my first electric guitar (an Epiphone SG special vintage red) and obviously my first amp ( an orange crush 20 combo amp) and tried to play a bit and get used to it (mainly AC/DC and from time to time some other things like Eric Clapton, Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd..) but it doesn't sound anything like it is supposed to. I think I managed to understand what the buttons do, but I still can't figure out how to set them to get the desired sound. For example, on the Orange website, there are 4 samples of different music kinds played with the Crush 20 (link: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-B ... Combo/168I) and I was wondering how do they get such a clean (and by clean I mean without buzzes and noises, not without gain) tones and how do they set it to get those tones? (also, and I know that this might influence it, but I don't know in which extent, I play it with phone headphones as I don't have any other headphones with jack, do they make such a great difference?)

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: AMP Settings explained and examples

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm

If I understand correctly, I'll try to answer.

Your first electric but you must of played acoustic before?

I've never played an orange crush but I imagine is easy to set upeverything at 12 o'clock then tweak from there ....but everything else sounds like mainly it's a technique issue and lack of playing ability and experience , your hands should not only be picking and fretting but muting strings as well, so best suggestion is to get some lessons it takes years to play the guitar..... Plus you'll need to learn how to bend string, do vibrato etc all this is important in getting the tone ....and your guitar probably could do with a set up...... a better pair of headphones will help but only get you so far.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

ViktorTh

Post by ViktorTh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:19 pm

yes, I have an acoustic guitar and I have played it for a bit. So set everything to 12 o'clock and go from there for any song?

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:43 pm

It sounds like tired advice but it sounds like it is 100% your hands. The cleanliness of fretting, the cleanliness of picking, etc will all play into how an amp sounds and how clean it is. Every amp has its own flavor but at the end of the day, it is mostly just making your guitar louder.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

ViktorTh

Post by ViktorTh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 pm

Alright, thank you for your advice, do you recommend any particular tutorial or lessons for electric guitar or should I just try to play songs and get better at them like I did up until now?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm

Buzzing could be due to many things.

Perhaps the guitar isn't well set, and you get a lot of fret buzz. Epiphone SG Special don't get much attention when leaving the factory, it may need to have it's neck relief adjusted, the action adjusted and the intonation adjusted. You can do that yourself, lots of tutorials on internet.

It could be playing technic.

It could be the headphone you use isn't great.

It could be the amp settings.

It could be that the amp is defective.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Go get some guitar lessons, and bring the amp with you. The teacher will sort it out and you will be fine.