I'm turning 30 on 26th may and I want a telecaster...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mici88
Tiny Terror

I'm turning 30 on 26th may and I want a telecaster...

Post by mici88 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:08 am

...as a birthday gift. Budget around 1000$, maybe a little more. I'm leaning towards Mexican Made and then upgrading in with decent locking tuners, better bridge and pickups (Hot Rails). Good Idea? Or is it better to buy a straightforward American / Japanese made and keep it totally stock?

Share your tele-point-of-view :)

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: I'm turning 30 on 26th may and I want a telecaster...

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 am

I would say go American and keep it stock (should have better re-sale value too if you ever decided to part ways). IME I have found the American made guitars usually feel better to play, and have nicer feeling frets. They don't always sound better though. In the end it's best to go to the store and play a bunch back to back. It's the only way you will ever know.

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:48 am

Going for a Tele is always a good idea.
US vs. MIM? I bought a Mexican, a set of Fender CS 51 Nocaster Pickups, and Orange Drop cap and a dirt inexpensive Wilkinson bridge with compensated saddles. Every time I'm in a shop or try some buddy's US Tele I only notice a small difference in neck shape and fret height in some cases. Nothing that justifies the US price, at least for my taste. Oh and mine does not look like someone beat it up on purpose. I even got me a Fender tweed case for it and it didn't surpass the 1000 € mark.
I am lucky enough to own two Gibson Les Paul's and another MIM Strat and this thing is definitely my #1.
Here a pic of it:
https://i.imgur.com/uLd2dYe.jpg
I'm on my phone....don't know why I can't post the forum link from imgur.
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 pm

I own a 2012 USA standard telecaster and I think it's superb plays easily with a excellent action and sounds great...I bought it new from my local dealer, tried a few and chose the one I have.

If you looking for a new tele, I'd go and try a few out and see which feelsbest there's no substitute for that.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:43 pm

G&L are worth conaidering too.

I'm not saying they're better, just part of the options.

Specifications within the Telecaster range vary wildly, especially with regards to necks.

Be sure of what sort of radius you like, as the difference between the vintage accurate 7"25 or modern 12" radius is pretty huge. Most current non reissue are around 9"5 inch.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm

I guess I need to get with the times here. When I got my AM STD Tele brand new with a hard case (7-8 years ago) it was $999 of the shelf. Now they are quite a bit more. Not sure I would spend that kind of money on something that wasn't very special or unique. I'm still waiting for them to release an American Pro Esquire with a modern bridge. Yes I will over pay for that, but it will be the last piece of my collection :)

TBH, I would probably go the used route. Lots of good quality/condition American/Japanese stuff out there for a fraction of the price.

Also yea G&L is worth looking into as stated above. I had an overseas ASAT Tribute ages ago with a hotrail in the bridge. It's the only guitar I regret selling. Awesome instrument, and one of the best tones I've heard.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Fri May 04, 2018 2:03 pm

I have an American Tele, very nice guitar feels great and plays great, I don't like the stock bridge pickup very much though and haven't figured out what I will switch it out for, was considering Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 43 for a P90 tone.
Thunderverb 50