Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: EL84 users - Public Service Announcement

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 pm

langmurf wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 am
I had a matched pair of EB's in my TTHW. Fully concur that they are stellar sounding tubes. About to order a pair for my R15 combo.

Enjoy!
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!!!

It's difficult to compare them with the worn out sovtek in my Black Pearl 30, but in my AD15 the difference is pretty big. The louder you turn it up, the bigger the difference too!!!!

How did they last in your TTHW?
A regular EL84 is meant to last around 500h, a regular 6P14P EV 5000 to 10000h. I can't verify that at the moment, as I've just dropped them in my 2 amps. But they really sound stellar!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Shuguang make a really good EL84, I had some in my AC30, nice and crunchy!
Thunderverb 50

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Wed May 23, 2018 2:15 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 pm

It's difficult to compare them with the worn out sovtek in my Black Pearl 30, but in my AD15 the difference is pretty big. The louder you turn it up, the bigger the difference too!!!!

A regular EL84 is meant to last around 500h, a regular 6P14P EV 5000 to 10000h. I can't verify that at the moment, as I've just dropped them in my 2 amps. But they really sound stellar!!!!
Hey, sorry for the seriously late reply...

I didn't have them for very long... sold the TTHW and let the tubes go with it. Big mistake, b/c the buyer was clueless, I think. Right up to the moment he might've swapped them out for another set of EL-84's. ;-)

I had a problem with the TTHW. I live near Orange USA so took it in for them to fix. Turned out to be a bad PI tube and they gave me a brand new set up JJ EL-84's. Then I got the 6p14EB's and they were so much better than the JJ's. And not in a "are they or aren't they" kinda way. In a 'holy crap, these tubes are unbelievable!!!' kinda way.

When I get a pair for my Rocker 15 combo, I have no doubt that they will outlive my time playing the amp. And not because I plan on selling the R15. I don't. Great amp, great tubes.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

langmurf wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:15 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 pm

Hey, sorry for the seriously late reply...

I didn't have them for very long... sold the TTHW and let the tubes go with it. Big mistake, b/c the buyer was clueless, I think. Right up to the moment he might've swapped them out for another set of EL-84's. ;-)

I had a problem with the TTHW. I live near Orange USA so took it in for them to fix. Turned out to be a bad PI tube and they gave me a brand new set up JJ EL-84's. Then I got the 6p14EB's and they were so much better than the JJ's. And not in a "are they or aren't they" kinda way. In a 'holy crap, these tubes are unbelievable!!!' kinda way.

When I get a pair for my Rocker 15 combo, I have no doubt that they will outlive my time playing the amp. And not because I plan on selling the R15. I don't. Great amp, great tubes.
The sound quality is surely undeniable.
I'm so impressed with them!

What I can't couch for yet is the reliability myself, but reading people's comments about them, just like for the tone, I shouldn't be disappointed I hope.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 am

Whoo whooo! Looky what just arrived.

Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 am

Ade wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 am
Whoo whooo! Looky what just arrived.

Oooooh!!!!!
I love those boxes!!!!!
I hope you'll be as pleased with them as I am!!!!

Don't they look super sturdy? They feel really solid, and their construction looks superior to the JJ / Harma/ Sovtek valves I've had in hand.
Ant

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am

Very impressive valves. I concur that in handling them they feel heavier and sturdier than my EHXs and JJs.

Sound wise they don’t disappoint. I’m not the best at describing tones, but doing a swap between my EHXs and these, to my ear in my AD15 these sound fuller, with more midrange and with a nice top end, taming some of the harshness in the high frequencies I hear with the EHXs (and I’m not complaining about the EHXs - for a while they’ve been my preferred EL84s in my AD15 and I like them quite a bit).

I bought four so I’ve got two in my AD15, another two for when these die, and my EHXs relegated to a further set of spares. I think I’m set for a while!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Ade wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am
Very impressive valves. I concur that in handling them they feel heavier and sturdier than my EHXs and JJs.

Sound wise they don’t disappoint. I’m not the best at describing tones, but doing a swap between my EHXs and these, to my ear in my AD15 these sound fuller, with more midrange and with a nice top end, taming some of the harshness in the high frequencies I hear with the EHXs (and I’m not complaining about the EHXs - for a while they’ve been my preferred EL84s in my AD15 and I like them quite a bit).

I bought four so I’ve got two in my AD15, another two for when these die, and my EHXs relegated to a further set of spares. I think I’m set for a while!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Ade

Glad you like them too!!!

I'm similarly extremely impressed with them, they just seem to offer a hit more of everything. Sweeter highs, fuller rounder low end, but not at the detriment of the midrange, which sounds very full.

Like you, I've got 6 fitted in my 2 amps, and 6 spares.
Ant