Zvex Distortron or BoR

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ade
Orange Hero

Zvex Distortron or BoR

Post by Ade » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:00 am

Anyone having any luck using either of these with their Oranges?

I just picked up a Distortron and to be honest, I’m pretty underwhelmed. I’m playing a P90 Special into either my AD15 or AD50. It seems okay at low gain levels (below 10:00) but beyond that just doesn’t work for me. Sounds harsh and unmusical. I’m running a bit of gain on both amps so that’s probably not helping.

It also seems to have a spikey (some I think describe it as glassy) top end that I can’t dial out. Not surprisingly the last time I remember having that problem was with Zvex SHO. It also hisses like nobody’s business, particularly on the high gain setting rendering it useless.

Maybe I’m spoilt, but my old English V1 Guv’nor works so much better with my Oranges and, to my ears, is far superior. I actually got the Distortron as I was looking for a more robust substitute for the Guv’nor. Likewise my old OD-1 and WFRI RAT pair better with the Oranges.

I don’t think it’ll be staying long. Anyone had better luck?

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Zvex Distortron or BoR

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm

I really like my SHO, but it's a clone I built myself. I don't use it maxed out, just to push the gain on my AD15, and I really like what it does.

I haven't tried the box of rock, but believe 1/2 of it is the sho?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:34 pm

I think so Ant. I think the boost side of the BOR is a SHO and the other side is essentially the Distortron. I didn’t mind the SHO I had and used it exactly as you say with both my AD15 and AD50 but I ultimately sold it as I had other boosts I preferred.

I’ve been playing around with the Distortron and with my rig it really excels at low gain settings - but as I said, I’ve got that covered. It’s just not working for me at moderate let alone higher gain settings. I’ll hold onto it a little longer, try it in a band setting before making a final decision...

It’s funny, in posting this I went back a read some of my old posts. I’d forgotten I’d already bought and sold a Catilanbread DLS, a Rothwell Hellbender (currently on lone to my brother) and of am currently really loving my old Guv’nor.

Should I just buy a Marshall?! 🤭

Ade

Ade
Orange Hero

Post by Ade » Sat May 05, 2018 3:44 am

I feel obliged to post an update on this. I rarely think I’ve done such a 180 aboutface on a pedal before, but that’s essentially what’s happened with my Distortron :oops: .

A couple of days ago I got it out again and decided to spend some serious time with it, mainly into my AD15. While I still find it a bit overwhelming at higher gain settings, in both gain modes I can get some really great overdrive and distortion tones with a bit of tweaking. The subs switch seems pretty important too to dial in a good sound. Today I had band practice with it and it sounded incredible. Really sits well in the mix.

I recently also acquired an old T Rex Mudhoney (a RAT variant by all reports) and I’ve really been enjoy it as well. It has great low gain overdrive tones and has a boost function that gives a great almost fuzztone at higher gain settings. But with the Mudhoney running into the Distortron I’ve discovered a great stacked fuzztone. :D

As tempted as I was to offload the Distortron pretty quickly, I’m so glad now I held onto it a bit longer.

Ade

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 am

I find distortions quite different beasts than overdrives. I get great distortion pedal sounds on my Rockers dirty channel, but the amp gain has to be set near clean. I click the pedal on and dial the amp gain back until it sounds good. It’s almost like a blanket comes off at a certain point.