New Poster looking for advice on OR15 and OR50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

oban14

New Poster looking for advice on OR15 and OR50

Post by oban14 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Hello,

I am the owner of an OR15 since 2012 and love the little bugger but have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with. Presently have an OR15 and PPC112. Running with a LP standard faded with classic 57's looking at a T style now as well. I have just turned 50 and am well am looking at an OR50 because well... a man who is 50 should have an OR50 preferably with El34's...lol.

Music preferences... free, peter green, zepplin, thin lizzy, rory gallagher, pink floyd, early rainbow.

Ok so much for the intro. My questions.

1. When i fire up my amp i get a slight crackling when i plug in, like frying bacon, sometimes it goes away sometimes it does not? Is it a tube?
2. How much will another PPC 112 open up the sound of the OR15? Would a 2x12 OB for 70's rock tones be better?
3. Can I get decent sounds on the OR50 on lower volumes. I doubt i would ever get it past noon on the MV?
4. does the OR50 have the option to run at 30W class A like the CS50? How do they differ? I prefer more vintage gain tones.
5. Will an OR50 sound like crap with just a 112?
6. Rented a 2017 Fender Tele professional... just wow that bridge pickup with an orange.. recommendations on a tele neck pickup that works well with orange?
7. Anyone try a G&L tele with an orange and how did it sound?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and any advice provided

Cheers

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Re: New Poster looking for advice on OR15 and OR50

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm

OK, here goes nothin'....

1) Bad cable or bad jack. I cannot think of a way that would be a bad tube... what you are describing is a bad connection/solder.
2) a little, I much prefer CB to OB cabs, but YMMV. I do prefer the OR15 through a 212, but again, it's really all to taste. the BIGGEST improvement I found with the OR15 came with the 2-stroke boost in front of it. was able to get a much fatter sound, even using a 112.
3) probably not without an external attenuator... well, OK, maybe. if you can get the MV to noon, you'll start to get the character of the amp, but anything short of 10-o'clock won't deliver what is on offer... but that's pretty standard for any tube amp.
4) I think it does, HOWEVER... my AD50 has this feature, and it is far LESS controlable in class-A @30w than A/B @ 50w.... it's like a runaway train in Class-A... (and I soooooooooooo adore it for that!)
5) no, but it'll sound better through a 412 :mrgreen:
6) I suggest the heaviest Les Paul you can find and 57 Classics... :P
7) see #6 :P :P
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

oban14

Post by oban14 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I realized after i posted that there was a somewhat unreasonable amount of questions for anyone to attempt to answer. So thank you for being patient enough to do so.

I promise shorter questions in the future lol.

Oddly enough I do have a two stroke and like how it opens up the sound? Any luck with it in the loop?

Could not agree more on the LP and classic 57's. That's my go to. I was impressed by the tele bridge though.

Thanks Again.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 pm

oban14 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:15 pm
Hello,

I am the owner of an OR15 since 2012 and love the little bugger but have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with. Presently have an OR15 and PPC112. Running with a LP standard faded with classic 57's looking at a T style now as well. I have just turned 50 and am well am looking at an OR50 because well... a man who is 50 should have an OR50 preferably with El34's...lol.

Music preferences... free, peter green, zepplin, thin lizzy, rory gallagher, pink floyd, early rainbow.

Ok so much for the intro. My questions.

1. When i fire up my amp i get a slight crackling when i plug in, like frying bacon, sometimes it goes away sometimes it does not? Is it a tube?
2. How much will another PPC 112 open up the sound of the OR15? Would a 2x12 OB for 70's rock tones be better?
3. Can I get decent sounds on the OR50 on lower volumes. I doubt i would ever get it past noon on the MV?
4. does the OR50 have the option to run at 30W class A like the CS50? How do they differ? I prefer more vintage gain tones.
6. Rented a 2017 Fender Tele professional... just wow that bridge pickup with an orange.. recommendations on a tele neck pickup that works well with orange?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and any advice provided

Cheers

Most likely. But not necessarily. Does the frying happen again when you turn the volume up or down?

OB212. That's an easy one.

Yes, but they get a lot better when run high. An attenuator like the jet city jettuanator can be helpful at home.

Pass.

No.

Most ?
In my experience, most good pick ups sound good through an Orange amp. Season to taste.

I've got a G&L ASAT Special Tribute and love it. It sounds great. The jumbo MFD pick ups are simply great sounding, but not quite a classic tele. I believe the ASAT classic and bluesboy are classic Tele though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm
OK, here goes nothin'....

1) Bad cable or bad jack. I cannot think of a way that would be a bad tube... what you are describing is a bad connection/solder.
A shorting preamp valve could do that. S
A failing capacitor too.... and other things.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't particularly like the sound of 1X12's so I'm going to say it's not going to sound as good as either a 2X12 or 4X12.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 pm

PPC112 is boxy in comparison

Jmb1984

Post by Jmb1984 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 am

Both the OR50 and the CS50 are vintage sounding amps in general. The OR50 does not have the option to run at 30W Class A though.

The CS50 in the 30W Class A mode is actually louder at lower volumes than the 50W Class A/B mode. Class A mode also gets distorted more quickly and has a little more chime. Either mode sounds vintage though. They are just different “flavors” of vintage.

Strictly comparing the CS50 in Class A/B mode to the OR50, all the controls have a more noticeable change with the CS50 because of the hand wired aspect. The HF drive has a more usable range with the CS50 and minor changes to the EQ are more noticable. The CS50 EQ lift through the front panel pedal input is also more practical than the OR50 Volume lift through the front panel pedal input.

The OR50 gets a little more gain and Orange fuzz over the CS50 when completely maxed out. However the CS50 gain starts a little sooner with a more gradual increase with the gain control. With the CS50 you can use the EQ lift for a little extra push. Both amps get great clean and edge of breakup tones with the volume cranked and the gain control kept at lower settings.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:08 am

Hi, there's no point me repeating what everyone else has said except welcome to the forum!

Oh not sure where you are but if you are after a new (shop floor) Or50 there is a dealer near me who may still have one, look at Steve James guitars on notheastguitars.co.uk
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

oban14

Post by oban14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome and to all of you for your advice and help.

As for the OR50 there is one left in a shop here in my province (Alberta, Canada) but I also noticed that they dropped the price of a CS50 so it is now is only $500 more than the OR50 and is hand wired. From what i hear though the OR50 may have more of a gain range I prefer. Sadly I cannot test either as neither is physically located in my city. I may just get a 2x12 for my OR15 to open it up if i can fix the crackling. Part of me is holding out for an OR30 as part of this years celebration. That would be my perfect amp. But merely a dream as this point.

As for my OR15 crackling i did some more testing last night. Used four guitars, initially there was crackling with amp dialed in as clean as i could, gain on 7:30 pm slot MV at 2 pm,15 W channel, when i first hooked up the MIM strat. It went away after 5 mins and never came back on the strat. Switched to Tele Pro and there was no crackling. Switched to LP and there was the occasional crackling with it being more prominent on the bridge pickup. Went to a PRS SE and crackling disappeared. Went back to LP and it reappeared and also increased as I upped the gain. Played each guitar for about 20 mins before switching out. No pedals were used.

I think it may be the jack in my Les Paul or bridge pickup however there was still that period when i first fired it up with the strat. Thoughts?

Thanks Again.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:35 pm

oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:23 pm
Thanks for the welcome and to all of you for your advice and help.

As for the OR50 there is one left in a shop here in my province (Alberta, Canada) but I also noticed that they dropped the price of a CS50 so it is now is only $500 more than the OR50 and is hand wired. From what i hear though the OR50 may have more of a gain range I prefer. Sadly I cannot test either as neither is physically located in my city. I may just get a 2x12 for my OR15 to open it up if i can fix the crackling. Part of me is holding out for an OR30 as part of this years celebration. That would be my perfect amp. But merely a dream as this point.

As for my OR15 crackling i did some more testing last night. Used four guitars, initially there was crackling with amp dialed in as clean as i could, gain on 7:30 pm slot MV at 2 pm,15 W channel, when i first hooked up the MIM strat. It went away after 5 mins and never came back on the strat. Switched to Tele Pro and there was no crackling. Switched to LP and there was the occasional crackling with it being more prominent on the bridge pickup. Went to a PRS SE and crackling disappeared. Went back to LP and it reappeared and also increased as I upped the gain. Played each guitar for about 20 mins before switching out. No pedals were used.

I think it may be the jack in my Les Paul or bridge pickup however there was still that period when i first fired it up with the strat. Thoughts?

Thanks Again.
did you try a different cable? capacitor pop from higher/lower voltages from different pickups?

I'd focus on the cable first... it's cheapest to fix!
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

oban14

Post by oban14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Sorry forgot to add I have three cables. Used them all same results. One is brand new.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm

oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm
Sorry forgot to add I have three cables. Used them all same results. One is brand new.
Multiple guitars or one guitar?

If its just one guitar does it have a nitrocellulose finish? How new is the guitar?

Could be a internal soldering problem in the guitar electronics near the jack if its just one guitar having the issue.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

oban14

Post by oban14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 pm

D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm
oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm
Multiple guitars or one guitar?

If its just one guitar does it have a nitrocellulose finish? How new is the guitar?

Could be a internal soldering problem in the guitar electronics near the jack if its just one guitar having the issue.
Les Paul Standard Faded 2016. Less than a year old. Bought new and believe it is satin finish on neck and body. Here is the link. I have had it back for work due to electrical issues with the bridge pickup at one point it just stopped working. Here is a link

https://www.long-mcquade.com/71173/Guit ... st_Ltd.htm

Thanks for asking.

I think i will take it in this weekend before warranty ends and let them have another peek.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:49 pm

oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 pm

I think i will take it in this weekend before warranty ends and let them have another peek.
If you've already had issues with that guitar, I would also start there.

and earlier you asked if I had ever run the 2-stroke in the EL on the OR15.... no, never, and not really inclined to, honestly, I want to push the pre-amp and shape the tone that way, and I also use it into the AD50, which has no loop, so its the last thing in the chain before the AB split. (ok, technically its an ABCD, but it's all currently packed up anyway, and all I have out is the TV50).
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE