Re: New Poster looking for advice on OR15 and OR50

Post by D|C|M|E » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:19 pm

oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 pm
D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm
oban14 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm
Sorry forgot to add I have three cables. Used them all same results. One is brand new.
Multiple guitars or one guitar?

If its just one guitar does it have a nitrocellulose finish? How new is the guitar?

Could be a internal soldering problem in the guitar electronics near the jack if its just one guitar having the issue.
Les Paul Standard Faded 2016. Less than a year old. Bought new and believe it is satin finish on neck and body. Here is the link. I have had it back for work due to electrical issues with the bridge pickup at one point it just stopped working. Here is a link

https://www.long-mcquade.com/71173/Guit ... st_Ltd.htm

Thanks for asking.

I think i will take it in this weekend before warranty ends and let them have another peek.
I have a 2016 SG Standard bought in '17 and I was getting crazy amounts of crackling sometimes when I plugged it in. I still get some actually. I called the dealer about it and it turns out that the nitrocellulose lacquer on the top (pretty sure yours has it as basically all Gibsons do) traps static electricity and that often gets expressed through the output jack due to the electrical current traveling through pickup and volume and tone electronics.

Plug your guitar in and rub your finger lightly between and around the volume and tone knobs and see if you get intensified crackling as your finger rubs the surface of the guitar. If that's what is happening its likely just a bunch of static electricity trapped by the nitro near the electronics. Should go away as the guitar ages or if you have a way of de-staticizing the finish.

However, if you have had electronics problems with the guitar already, there could be something actually serious going on.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

oban14

Post by oban14 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 pm

D|C|M|E wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:19 pm
oban14 wrote:
D|C|M|E wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Multiple guitars or one guitar?

If its just one guitar does it have a nitrocellulose finish? How new is the guitar?

Could be a internal soldering problem in the guitar electronics near the jack if its just one guitar having the issue.
Les Paul Standard Faded 2016. Less than a year old. Bought new and believe it is satin finish on neck and body. Here is the link. I have had it back for work due to electrical issues with the bridge pickup at one point it just stopped working. Here is a link

Thanks for asking.

I think i will take it in this weekend before warranty ends and let them have another peek.
I have a 2016 SG Standard bought in '17 and I was getting crazy amounts of crackling sometimes when I plugged it in. I still get some actually. I called the dealer about it and it turns out that the nitrocellulose lacquer on the top (pretty sure yours has it as basically all Gibsons do) traps static electricity and that often gets expressed through the output jack due to the electrical current traveling through pickup and volume and tone electronics.

Plug your guitar in and rub your finger lightly between and around the volume and tone knobs and see if you get intensified crackling as your finger rubs the surface of the guitar. If that's what is happening its likely just a bunch of static electricity trapped by the nitro near the electronics. Should go away as the guitar ages or if you have a way of de-staticizing the finish.

However, if you have had electronics problems with the guitar already, there could be something actually serious going on.
wow that is exactly what is happening, the more i poke around the knobs and pickups the more i can hear the crackle. Thanks a bunch for the info. I am still going to take it in just in case but what you describe is exactly what is happening.

The reason i asked about the 2 stroke in the loop is because i had it in front of my Hudson Broadcast and they were not playing well together with the TS causing the HB to almost whistle in high gain mode so I removed the TS because i love the HB followed by my Mjolnir. I am using the HB as a clean boost providing and open sparkle on low gain, and high gain has a treble boost impact using heavy low cut on both sides with the LP. Great pedal. Low cut allows it to work with all types of guitars.

You have been very helpful.

Cheers again.

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:43 pm

oban14 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 pm
D|C|M|E wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:19 pm
oban14 wrote:

Thanks for asking.

wow that is exactly what is happening, the more i poke around the knobs and pickups the more i can hear the crackle. Thanks a bunch for the info. I am still going to take it in just in case but what you describe is exactly what is happening.

The reason i asked about the 2 stroke in the loop is because i had it in front of my Hudson Broadcast and they were not playing well together with the TS causing the HB to almost whistle in high gain mode so I removed the TS because i love the HB followed by my Mjolnir. I am using the HB as a clean boost providing and open sparkle on low gain, and high gain has a treble boost impact using heavy low cut on both sides with the LP. Great pedal. Low cut allows it to work with all types of guitars.

You have been very helpful.

Cheers again.
Cool. Glad I could help. At least its something that's just stupid and annoying as opposed to serious and costly. Couldn't hurt to have it all looked at anyway. Ask the guy you take it to if he's familiar with the static nitro phenomenon. I had two other Gibsons before that one and they were both 2007 models and I never had anything of the like with those. Safe to say that in about 10 years, the problem should definitely have resolved itself. :roll:

I don't polish my Gibsons as much as I probably should but I have a feeling some regular elbow grease with some Gibson pump polish might help calm that static.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.