Suggestions wanted - Rockerverb?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dropped stitch

Re: Suggestions wanted - Rockerverb?

Post by Dropped stitch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Can't believe I forgot to say - thanks so much for the offer to try yours out. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near the Midlands (never thought I'd say that :twisted: ).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Dropped stitch wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:04 pm
Hi again all. Apologies for not being around!

What I've done is bought a used AD30. I tried both an OR100 and an RV50 mkii in a shop, and didn't like either of them. I just found there was something in the midrange of both that was quite unpleasant. The RV50 had a slightly more scooped Fenderish tone, and the clean channel was lovely. The cleans on the OR100 weren't as nice to my ears.
So I bought an AD30 combo.
What I've now found is that I'm not hugely keen on the AD30 either. However it occurred to me that the common denominator between all these amps is that they were using V30 speakers. So I tried the AD30 through a cab I have with an eminence cannabis rex, and it came to life. It isn't the perfect speaker for the amp, but it sounded smooth and rich, with beautiful crunchy highs and none of the honky horribleness from the V30s. I'm sure the RV50 and the OR100 would have sounded great with different speakers too.

The problem with the AD30 is that it has almost no low end. It's very Vox-like in that regard. As a result I don't think the cleans are that great - both channels are definitely OD channels.
So now I'm back where I started... thinking of a Fender twin + pedals. Or maybe a RV again...

If you say it has next to no low end, I can tell you that whoever sold you that amp either sold it to save changing the power valves knowingly, or didn't realise the power valves are well worn and need to be replaced.

It probably hasn't got much spank and sparkle either.

That's my guess anyway. Ive just ordered some NOS EL84 type valve, and played around with my AD15 last week, the NOS Russian type EL84 sounded amazing, full well rounded low end, the current JJ EL84 were pretty good but not as good and the well used but still serviceable Harma valve really lacked low end, sparkle and life.

Your question now is..... do you want to spend £45/50 to find out if that's your issue or not?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:06 pm

I will reiterate. Your power valves are mostly on their way out.

I bought that quartet of russian type EL84 as I recently bought a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 and thought that despite sounding great, it lacked the sparkle I could remember. Since those Russian NOS valves were a bit of a gamble, it tried them pair by pair in my AD15 last week.

After writing my previous post, I put that quartet in my Black Pearl. I did a before/after test, and beside the beautiful glassy sparkly cleans I got back with the new valves, the bass now is full and rounded..... and there's so much more of it too!!!!!

I suspect your preamp valve should be fine as they usually last a long time (typically 4 times as long as power valves), but those AD amps, like my Black Pearl, run those EL84 pretty hot and they will wear out.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dropped stitch

Post by Dropped stitch » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Yeah that's interesting, never considered the effect old valves could have.

Would you say an AD30 should have as much bottom as a normal clean channel, or a gain channel?

Valves aren't too expensive. I'm also contemplating getting a new speaker for my Mesa LSS, so there's no real harm done if I try it out in the AD30 as well.

Cheers

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:31 pm

The AD30 isn't a bass monster, but it should have enough, well present and well defined low end.

It's an amp that sits well in the midrange, but it should have beautiful sparkly treble and well defined low end.

That said, it's a 30 water, it isn't a twin or other 100w amp. My RV50 would have more low end, but the AD30 shouldn't be missing in that department for sure.
Ant

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Dropped stitch wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:24 pm
Yeah that's interesting, never considered the effect old valves could have.

Would you say an AD30 should have as much bottom as a normal clean channel, or a gain channel?

Valves aren't too expensive. I'm also contemplating getting a new speaker for my Mesa LSS, so there's no real harm done if I try it out in the AD30 as well.

Cheers
What about an OR15 and a reverb pedal out front. Vintage tone, lots of low end, dial in clean or dirty, I think you'd like it.
Thunderverb 50