EHX Crayon OD anyone?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

SIXTENCONNECTOR

EHX Crayon OD anyone?

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Hey Gents,

Anyone try one of these? My bass player got one in a trade and I used last night at practice. Classic boost setting (Vol-3:00, Gain-off). I was using it with my Rockerverb mk2 (Gain-2:00 Vol-12:00). I was very surprised how good it sounded. Having the bass and treble knobs really helped. I find with my Maxon 0d808 (any any other tube screamer type pedal) that the low end gets cut way too much. With the bass-2:00 and treble-12:00 i found it just added some brightness to my sound. Really brought it out in the mix without being tinny or annoying. Was quiet as well, compared to my 0d808. Have to try it a few more times to see if it stays with me or not. Anyone try one before?

Scott
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Re: EHX Crayon OD anyone?

Post by D|C|M|E » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Never tried the Crayon but the Soul Food has been piquing my interest a lot lately. Sounds like it has a super sweet and rich upper mid boost which is where I love my drive sounds to sit. Don't even care that its supposed to be an affordable Klon clone. It sounds amazing from the demos I've seen. The Crayon seems cool but may be a bit too lacking in mids. Usually when you're given just bass and treble on a drive pedal, achieving good mid response requires attenuating bass and treble a bit too much for my taste. I will end up trying the Crayon as well to see if I can wrangle a usable tone out of it though.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

SIXTENCONNECTOR

Post by SIXTENCONNECTOR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Yeah,

Im still in the honeymoon stage as well. And I was a bit under the influence that night as well LOL. Time will tell.
https://soundcloud.com/sixtenconnector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nnector-ep

D|C|M|E
Tiny Terror

Post by D|C|M|E » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:30 pm

SIXTENCONNECTOR wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm
Yeah,

Im still in the honeymoon stage as well. And I was a bit under the influence that night as well LOL. Time will tell.
I find that I like the sound of most components of my guitar rig more the more intoxicated I am. Its probably just that the substance turns up my sensitivity to enjoyment of things I already like. So you probably do like the pedal. I don't think the "beer goggles" concept translates over to sound but maybe it does.

I actually just got an old 12ax7 driven EHX Hot Tubes box in the mail today and can't wait to try it out. Will report how it is here after I do.

Seeing this demo sold me on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrroEP7nA0

I'm hoping its as awesome as that on my rig.
Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII [2017]
Orange PPC412-A [2017]
Orange PPC412 [2017]
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst [2007]
Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry [2016]
More than a dozen drive/Fuzz boxes.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:31 pm

SIXTENCONNECTOR wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:15 pm
Hey Gents,

Anyone try one of these? My bass player got one in a trade and I used last night at practice. Classic boost setting (Vol-3:00, Gain-off). I was using it with my Rockerverb mk2 (Gain-2:00 Vol-12:00). I was very surprised how good it sounded. Having the bass and treble knobs really helped. I find with my Maxon 0d808 (any any other tube screamer type pedal) that the low end gets cut way too much. With the bass-2:00 and treble-12:00 i found it just added some brightness to my sound. Really brought it out in the mix without being tinny or annoying. Was quiet as well, compared to my 0d808. Have to try it a few more times to see if it stays with me or not. Anyone try one before?

Scott

It sounds very much like my (don't laugh!!! :) ) Digitech Hardwire CM-2 tube overdrive. A tube screamer with flat EQ and independent bass and treble controls.

I really like my Digitech variant. The EQ controls make it very easy to use witj any set up- also one of the few pedals that work equally as well with the clean and dirty channel of my RV50.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute