Finally settling in on a good stereo rig

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

Finally settling in on a good stereo rig

Post by afjungemann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm

I have been on the search for that good pairing of amps with some sort of straight forward way of controlling them. I am starting another band with a couple friends and we are going for a more straight forward approach. No real fancy effects, just good old rock.

When doing some tracking on my own, I decided that since it is a three piece, I would want to approach the stereo rig again for tone stacking. I began tracking with my TH30 and a Fender Princeton out of an AB box and it sounded fantastic. Then I remembered the advice others have given of running a delay all the way wet in front of one amp to offset them a little. So I pulled out my trusty Strymon Dig pedal which is a dual delay. I put that after the AB so it is actually in front of both amps but I can have delay 1 for the left amp and delay 2 for the right. Even better is there is modulation on it as well so it put in some light modulation and put the princeton to all the way wet delay with the least amount of delay I can and it sounds huge.

Then I dialed in a favorite that i can call up for solos and it has a slight pingpong slap back delay between the two amps. It is incredible.

Just a basic field report. Thanks for listening! :)
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Finally settling in on a good stereo rig

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 pm

Indeed! You have ruined yourself however. It may be near impossible to go back to a single amp rig :)

I settled on a dual mono amp rig and quite enjoy the flexibility of it. I would love to run stereo dirty amps, and a mono clean, but that is a bit out of hand :)

Next I suggest getting a stereo looper and looping out of your clean amp, while jamming out of the dirty one (or the opposite).

Have fun!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:06 pm
Indeed! You have ruined yourself however. It may be near impossible to go back to a single amp rig :)

I settled on a dual mono amp rig and quite enjoy the flexibility of it. I would love to run stereo dirty amps, and a mono clean, but that is a bit out of hand :)

Next I suggest getting a stereo looper and looping out of your clean amp, while jamming out of the dirty one (or the opposite).

Have fun!

I'd love to hear your quest one that one!!!!
:lol:

Kidding aside, your dedication to the dual rig set up has been very interesting to follow. 8)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:41 pm

haha. It would have to be lunchbox, single channel, no EL, no verb, 3 band EQ, american tone. That said my R30 through 612's is plenty at the time being :)

At this point in my life if I was going to go through the trouble of >2 amps, i would just get an AxeFX and have it all built into the one unit. Still considering it TBH. It would be super simple to have everything programmed. Oh and unlimited clean headroom would be nice too :)

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm
I have been on the search for that good pairing of amps with some sort of straight forward way of controlling them. I am starting another band with a couple friends and we are going for a more straight forward approach. No real fancy effects, just good old rock.

When doing some tracking on my own, I decided that since it is a three piece, I would want to approach the stereo rig again for tone stacking. I began tracking with my TH30 and a Fender Princeton out of an AB box and it sounded fantastic. Then I remembered the advice others have given of running a delay all the way wet in front of one amp to offset them a little. So I pulled out my trusty Strymon Dig pedal which is a dual delay. I put that after the AB so it is actually in front of both amps but I can have delay 1 for the left amp and delay 2 for the right. Even better is there is modulation on it as well so it put in some light modulation and put the princeton to all the way wet delay with the least amount of delay I can and it sounds huge.

Then I dialed in a favorite that i can call up for solos and it has a slight pingpong slap back delay between the two amps. It is incredible.

Just a basic field report. Thanks for listening! :)
Wow sounds great!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30