Have you ever dimed a 100 watt amp?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Have you ever dimed a 100 watt amp?

Post by Wendigo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm

I cranked my Marhshall YJM100 once without the attenuator, and played and ACDC style G power chord. It was eye-opening to say the least. I had an uneasy sort of panicky feeling in my chest for about 30 minutes afterward. It scared the crap out of me to be honest.
Last edited by Wendigo on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Wendigo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:32 pm
I cranked my Marhsall YJM100 once without the attenuator, and played and ACDC style G power chord. It was eye-opening to say the least. I had an uneasy sort of panicky feeling in my chest for about 30 minutes afterward. It scared the crap out of me to be honest.
:lol: sorry, maybe not funny...but it kind of is

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Dexter211275 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 am
I have several times with different amps and wasn't a fan. Every amp I can think of has a "sweet spot" thats well below dimed and turning it past that point doesn't make it all that much louder, just more harsh and unpleasant sounding IMO.
This is very true. An amp cranked in the right room for a studio recording sounds great on tape, but live you're ears just don't wanna hear it at that volume. Amps do have a sweet spot right around between 4-6 on the master depending on the amp.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm
Wendigo wrote:
I cranked my Marhsall YJM100 once without the attenuator, and played and ACDC style G power chord. It was eye-opening to say the least. I had an uneasy sort of panicky feeling in my chest for about 30 minutes afterward. It scared the crap out of me to be honest.
hehe no it is funny...but to be fair, I was right in front of it...like 2 feet.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 am

Wendigo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm
Jondog wrote:
Wendigo wrote:
I know what was wrong - wrong chord. It should have been an "A."

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:33 am
Wendigo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 pm
Jondog wrote:

I know what was wrong - wrong chord. It should have been an "A."
Well it was this one:

--------x-----------------
--------3-----------------
--------0-----------------
--------0-----------------
--------x-----------------
--------3-----------------

Did the trick...that trick being convincing me to never do it again. :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm

ha ha ha

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:28 am

100% home player. I had a 1973 Marshall Superlead and ran it with every pot dimed once. I usually ran it through an Aracom attenuator into a Mesa 4x12 with Celestion 70th Anny drivers. (Man, that was a LOUD cab too!)

Anyway... my neighbor had dogs that he would leave outside all day long. One was a Dalmatian, known to be incessant barkers, and the two dogs would bark all freakin' day long. Sucks when you work from home...

So one day I decided it was time to make some of my own noise. I opened all the windows in the house facing my neighbor's house. I put in earplugs. I dimed all the pots. I fired her up and let loose with 3 minutes of 'Wild Thing.' At the end of my 'performance,' I let the strings loose and the feedback was ungodly. I let that go on for 10 seconds or so, literally laughing out loud with giddiness at the sounds emanating from the amp.

I turned the pots down, I shut down the amp. Took out the earplugs. Went and looked at my neighbor's house... and the dogs were inside. And they weren't left outside all day long EVER after that. To this day. And that was 4 or 5 years ago.

The last thing I'll mention is: stuff fell off the shelves in same room. It was the most glorious physical audio event I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

But unlike others, I couldn't do it w/o earplugs. Nope. My tinnitus is bad enough already.

And that's my "100w Amp Dimed" story. Every word true.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:00 am

langmurf wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:28 am
100% home player. I had a 1973 Marshall Superlead and ran it with every pot dimed once. I usually ran it through an Aracom attenuator into a Mesa 4x12 with Celestion 70th Anny drivers. (Man, that was a LOUD cab too!)

Anyway... my neighbor had dogs that he would leave outside all day long. One was a Dalmatian, known to be incessant barkers, and the two dogs would bark all freakin' day long. Sucks when you work from home...

So one day I decided it was time to make some of my own noise. I opened all the windows in the house facing my neighbor's house. I put in earplugs. I dimed all the pots. I fired her up and let loose with 3 minutes of 'Wild Thing.' At the end of my 'performance,' I let the strings loose and the feedback was ungodly. I let that go on for 10 seconds or so, literally laughing out loud with giddiness at the sounds emanating from the amp.

I turned the pots down, I shut down the amp. Took out the earplugs. Went and looked at my neighbor's house... and the dogs were inside. And they weren't left outside all day long EVER after that. To this day. And that was 4 or 5 years ago.

The last thing I'll mention is: stuff fell off the shelves in same room. It was the most glorious physical audio event I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

But unlike others, I couldn't do it w/o earplugs. Nope. My tinnitus is bad enough already.

And that's my "100w Amp Dimed" story. Every word true.
Biblical.