Hello and question for my TH30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Post Reply
SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi fellas,

I'm new to the forum :), I've read a little and it's a great source of information and seems to be pretty chill :) . I have a question: can I hook up my TH30 to a PPC212OB to another PPC212OB and a PPC112?. I hope I will be contributing to this great community. Thanks from Köln!
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6807
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:47 pm

That's one cab too many.

You can only connect 2 16ohms cabs at once, using the 8ohms taps.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks! So how do bands with several cabs on stage do it?, is it just for show?
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6807
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 pm

SpaceCadet666 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm
Thanks! So how do bands with several cabs on stage do it?, is it just for show?
It very often is just for show (with empty dummy cabs), or their cabs have different speakers and connections that allows for more than 2 cabs to be hooked up.

In the 60s/70s, there were no PAs, and all the volume for concerts had to come from the stage. Then, having 2 or 4 PPC412 and 100 or 200w amp (+slave power amps!!!!) made sense.

Now if you need to be that loud, you just Mic the cab up and out it through a massive PA.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks a lot. So should I stick to my current setup?, I like it, but I liked the idea of running 3 cabs :).
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6807
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm

What cabs are in your current set up?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm
What cabs are in your current set up?
I´m using a PPC212OB and a PPC112, which is very good, but wondering if the addition of another PPC212OB would be significant to my sound. I play mostly Stoner/Post Metal stuff in drop C and drop B... I use a Xotic EP booster and a EHX Soul Food in front of the amp to fatten the sound. Then, a MXR Micro Amp in the loop for solos... Also various delay/reverb/leslie type effect in the loop. Thanks!
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6807
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 am

For what you play, I'd rather recommend a PPC212.

Playing with the PPC212 at the bottom would give you a thicker, tighter bottom end, whilst still enjoying the great sound dispersion of the OB212 sitting on top.

That would be the best in my opinion, and I would probably only use the PPC112 for practice or when I can't be bothered to lug the 2 monstrous cabs.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5


Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 am
For what you play, I'd rather recommend a PPC212.

Playing with the PPC212 at the bottom would give you a thicker, tighter bottom end, whilst still enjoying the great sound dispersion of the OB212 sitting on top.

That would be the best in my opinion, and I would probably only use the PPC112 for practice or when I can't be bothered to lug the 2 monstrous cabs.
Thanks, I will get another PPC212OB to sit on top of the existing one. There's a really nice deal here locally for one so I will snag it. Appreciate the help!
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Rlw59
Rocker
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:31 pm
Location: DFW, Texas, USA

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am

"So how do bands with several cabs on stage do it?"

It's the total impedance connected to the amp that matters, not the total number of cabs or speakers.

Many/most Marshalls have a 4 ohm output tap. You can easily daisy-chain four 4x12 16ohm cabs to the 4ohm output. And if you add series junction boxes you could drive 8 cabs, 16 cabs, 32 cabs, whatever.

Another possibility is to use multiple amps, each driving a couple of cabs. You'd plug your guitar into one amp, and the use the line out/fx send to drive the other amps. Or use an a/b/y box to let you switch between or combine the various amps.

When you see a band with a whole wall of cabs behind them, that's usually just for show. But if you see someone using 3, 4, 5, 6 cabs, that can be real.

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:17 am
"So how do bands with several cabs on stage do it?"

It's the total impedance connected to the amp that matters, not the total number of cabs or speakers.

Many/most Marshalls have a 4 ohm output tap. You can easily daisy-chain four 4x12 16ohm cabs to the 4ohm output. And if you add series junction boxes you could drive 8 cabs, 16 cabs, 32 cabs, whatever.

Another possibility is to use multiple amps, each driving a couple of cabs. You'd plug your guitar into one amp, and the use the line out/fx send to drive the other amps. Or use an a/b/y box to let you switch between or combine the various amps.

When you see a band with a whole wall of cabs behind them, that's usually just for show. But if you see someone using 3, 4, 5, 6 cabs, that can be real.
Thanks a lot for the info :D . I have decided i will get another PPC212OB, but it´ll have to wait as i just bought a new guitar and a couple pedals... :twisted: .
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Mystic38
Orange Expert
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 am
Location: Mystic, CT

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm

another vote for PPC212CB on the bottom, with PPC212OB on top. the bass extension and power of the PPC212CB would be a great benefit to your style of music, and the OB cab on top gives you great dispersion ..despite both having the same speakers, they sound quite different.
SpaceCadet666 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm
What cabs are in your current set up?
I´m using a PPC212OB and a PPC112, which is very good, but wondering if the addition of another PPC212OB would be significant to my sound. I play mostly Stoner/Post Metal stuff in drop C and drop B... I use a Xotic EP booster and a EHX Soul Food in front of the amp to fatten the sound. Then, a MXR Micro Amp in the loop for solos... Also various delay/reverb/leslie type effect in the loop. Thanks!
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm

Mystic38 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm
another vote for PPC212CB on the bottom, with PPC212OB on top. the bass extension and power of the PPC212CB would be a great benefit to your style of music, and the OB cab on top gives you great dispersion ..despite both having the same speakers, they sound quite different.
SpaceCadet666 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:37 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm
What cabs are in your current set up?
I´m using a PPC212OB and a PPC112, which is very good, but wondering if the addition of another PPC212OB would be significant to my sound. I play mostly Stoner/Post Metal stuff in drop C and drop B... I use a Xotic EP booster and a EHX Soul Food in front of the amp to fatten the sound. Then, a MXR Micro Amp in the loop for solos... Also various delay/reverb/leslie type effect in the loop. Thanks!
Thanks for the input, when funds are available I will look in the second hand market for a closed back :). For now I have to deal with my new explorer and the new toys (pedals). I guess in 3-4 months I'll get the cab..
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm

In the end I'm selling my ppc112 and I'm getting a really good deal on a ppc212ob :D . So now with two ppc212obs, would you recommend to change spearkers in one of them to get a different flavor?, any recommendations?. Thanks!
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

SpaceCadet666
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Hello and question for my TH30

Post by SpaceCadet666 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm

I finally sold the PPC112 and got another PPC212OB, i´m very happy with the result. I haven´t been able to play in a band setting yet, but soon, i´m really looking forward to it! :D .
Amps: TH30, PPC212OB, PPC112. x2 Yamaha THR5. Blackstar HT5 + 112 cab.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R7 (goldtop) 2006. Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 (HC). Yamaha SA503 Black (Troy Van Leewen signature). Gibson SG Raw Power 2010 (gold).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 54 guests