Looking for Tiny Terror Head Shell / Enclosue

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TheWelder

Looking for Tiny Terror Head Shell / Enclosue

Post by TheWelder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Hello All,

I'm new to the Orange Amps Forums - hello! I know I'm a little late to the game with this but I figured I'd give it a shot...

I have a Hard Wired Tiny Terror and I would love to put it in a nice shell /enclosure. I've seen photos of Tiny Terrors in shells and they look great. Does anyone here make them? I'm interested in buying one. I've been perusing eBay and Reverb with no luck.

Thanks!

caldurham
Rocker

Re: Looking for Tiny Terror Head Shell / Enclosue

Post by caldurham » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm

dunno if you have any woodworking experience but if you do you could make one fairly easy. the hardest part of it would be putting the tolex on it. you can find a lot of good youtube videos that show you how to put tolex on a shell.

TheWelder

Post by TheWelder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm

caldurham wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm
dunno if you have any woodworking experience but if you do you could make one fairly easy. the hardest part of it would be putting the tolex on it. you can find a lot of good youtube videos that show you how to put tolex on a shell.
Thanks for the reply. I've considered making one and I'd be willing to give it a try. Ideally I'd like to be as close to an actual Orange enclosure as possible. With that said, does anyone have any suggestion for materials, bevel angels, etc?

Thanks

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 pm

TheWelder wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm
caldurham wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm
Thanks for the reply. I've considered making one and I'd be willing to give it a try. Ideally I'd like to be as close to an actual Orange enclosure as possible. With that said, does anyone have any suggestion for materials, bevel angels, etc?

Thanks
i dunno about the angles but most shells are made from baltic birch plywood, usually 11ply or better. you could also use pine if you wanted. it will be softer than baltic birch but just as good really. baltic birch may be hard to find depending on where you are at. most local lumber stores won't carry it on hand but can order it for you. if that is the case you could also just use regular plywood. the main difference between regular ply and baltic birch ply is that baltic birch will generally be void free and have little to no patches in the facing. but as long as you're covering it with tolex it shouldn't matter.

i've actually thought about making a shell for my micro terror and micro dark. a single shell that holds both of them. i've got too many projects as is!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Photos of a Bass Terror shell I made for someone a while ago. Has extra venting as required for the Terror Bass.

Also the walnut/orange stained shell I made for my Rocker. Feel free to take any ideas or if you have any questions. I’d offer my services, but it’s not a great time of year for me for available time.

TheWelder

Post by TheWelder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Caldurham - thank you for the wood suggestions. I will look into baltic birch if I decide to go that route.

Jondog - beautiful work! I don't know if I have the skills or proper tools to build a shell as nice as those. Please excuse me for asking a dumb question...how does a terror series amp fasten into one of these shells? Is there some kind of mechanism or bracing that holds it securely in place? I've always been a combo amp guy and the TTHW is the first head / cab amp I've ever owned so I'm sort of clueless on these types of things.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:28 pm

TheWelder wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm
Caldurham - thank you for the wood suggestions. I will look into baltic birch if I decide to go that route.

Jondog - beautiful work! I don't know if I have the skills or proper tools to build a shell as nice as those. Please excuse me for asking a dumb question...how does a terror series amp fasten into one of these shells? Is there some kind of mechanism or bracing that holds it securely in place? I've always been a combo amp guy and the TTHW is the first head / cab amp I've ever owned so I'm sort of clueless on these types of things.
For that Bass terror shell, I made a new bottom plate with captive/cage nuts installed. and the rubber feet on the bottom of the shell bolted through the wood into to the new plate. I sold my Tiny Terror several months back and was working on a new design for securing it in that would be easier and still maintain the proportional dimensions with only the top handle needing to be removed. Had to halt that because I no longer have a unit to measure from :( . Seen a few that just don’t look like an Orange cab due to trying to fit it in securely.
It’s never really cheap for me to build one for people outside my area either after ordering supplies. I’m in Canada, so things like tolex and piping I have to order from the US and get dinged with duties plus shipping that I have to factor in to the cost. Them theres shippingbthe completed shell out which isn’t cheap. Any I’ve built for people have been sold at pretty much cost, probably $5 for myself. :lol: