Anyone gigging with a tiny terror ???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Anyone gigging with a tiny terror ???

Post by pattyzero » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 pm

It’s been a few years since I sold my tiny terror (for financial reasons rather than anything else ) and I miss it .

I was thinking of either buying another tiny terror hardwired or maybe trying the rocker 15 as I could possibly use the fx loop for a solo boost.

I play in 2 bands , both are 2 guitar bands and both need a crunchy rock sound , one veering more towards metal than the other .

Will a Terror and a decent cab cut it ?!!

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror

Re: Anyone gigging with a tiny terror ???

Post by Dexter211275 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 am

You're going to want a lot more than a 15 watt amp for any kind of metal. Its not about the volume, its about the punch and low end that you just can't get from a 15 watt amp. As much as I love Orange amps, if I was playing in a metal band and wanted a smaller and less expensive amp, Id get the EVH 5150 LBX or the Peavey 6505MH. I played the 6505MH a few days ago thru my Orange 2x12 and with the lows cranked up and the resonance around noon, it sounded absolutely massive. I would have no concerns gigging with that as long as I had my cab mic'd. For more of a classic rock crunch, the TT should do but again, its not going to have the same punch a 50 watt amp with bigger tubes has.

sanchito

Post by sanchito » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:32 am

I own a dual terror but I usually run it at 15 watts at smaller venues so a TT should be just fine in that setting. I recently purchased a Rocker 15 combo amp and I'm in love. I play shoegaze and dream pop, so you may have a different experience.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:50 am

I have done ....with a TTHW and a 212 cab with V30s .
If your after a good classic rock/ hard rock crunch then that is what it was made for, sounds superb for this.

Is it loud enough? Probably.....but if you need a solo boost this is where you may have problems as it's a typical Orange amp and difficult to get a boost when played overdriven at loud volume.

This is the main reason why I mainly use my Ad30htc....it's just much more versatile, with 2 channels and easier to get that boost.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Maybe try the Brent Hinds Terror? It could work for your needs?
My band The Start Up
Spotify

langmurf
Rocker

Post by langmurf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Not a tech SME... but I've read that the 15w rating for Orange amps is conservative and that the TT was clocked at 28w in one article.

I had a TTHW and, sadly, had to sell it fund a non-music related device. Missed it so much, I got a Rocker 15 combo. It's a great amp. And the speaker is rated at 101db, so it can def put out in a live setting. I also have an Orange Two Stroke pedal that works great in the loop and def works as a boost if you need to kick it up a notch for solos or whatever.

The main advantage of the R15 combo, over the new head, is portability. If you want a true 'grab and go' amp, hard to beat the R15 combo.
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

TheWelder

Post by TheWelder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Newbie here, but I saw this topic and thought I'd chime in. I have a TTHW and I gig it with no problems at all. My band plays blues/rock/fusion jam style music and we have a Hammond player and a drummer that can hit pretty hard at times and the TT keeps up well. It usually requires micing and putting a little guitar signal in the monitors for my bandmates but that isn't typically an issue. It isn't clean at gig volumes of course, but that really isn't the point of the TT anyway! For reference, I use a custom built closed back cab with a 12' Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I've gigged with a Tiny Terror, then later a Dark Terror. Never had any problems with volume, and regarding the 'punch and low end' comments, the Dark Terror didn't have as much punch as my Rockerverb, but it still sounded great.

I used to put them through a pair of PPC112s, and in 15W mode I very rarely had the volume past about 11 o'clock.
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough