CR120 or AD30/OR50?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mvsr990

CR120 or AD30/OR50?

Post by mvsr990 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:48 am

I've had an itch for something different from my Deluxe Reverb and Roland JC40, good clean sound, pedal friendly but with the low-end to get stoner/doom sounds. It will go into an Avatar 2x12 w/ the Warehouse version of 60W V30s for now. (Mostly play around in the classic punk to indie/college-rock range but I've gotten really into stoner riffing lately.)

The CR120 has been the number one, I could only play one locally at a Guitar Center and couldn't think straight with all the people djenting but it was quite nice.

My budget is up to a used AD30 or OR50, though. I have a house to myself so I'm not worried about bedroom quiet but I would rather be able to play without physical pain or needing to turn it up to where my neighbors can hear.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: CR120 or AD30/OR50?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:48 am

Can you play at loud at TV volume?

The Ad30 tc is a great amp , it's my number one, but it doesn't sound too good at low volume , if you can play at loud TV volume (where the neighbours can hear you) then you can probably get away with it . Channel one can be set to have a lovely sounding clean channel and works very well with pedals when set clean but it's a pure classic rock amp....yes you can do punk / indie but it's not a stoner amp imo.

I use mine at home but I can play fairly loud and use an EP booster to get a better tone at lower volume though usually I think it better to use my TTHW at 7 watts.

The Or50 is also superb and can be set to be very pedal friendly and can be used a very good stoner rock tone but again you have the problem of how loud you can play...valve amps can sound choked when played at too low volume.

Have you looked at one of the new Rocker 15 amps with a bedroom mode?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 pm

If good stoner sound is what you're after, I'd recommend either the OR50 or the Rocker 30.

The Rocker 30 is fantastic for that.
I haven't owned an OR50.

The AD30 is a great old school modern amp. Great cleans, great mid gain sounds. Perfect for rock, Indy, blues..... you'd still have fun playing stoner on it, but the R30 will do that miles better.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:33 pm

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them, though the AD30 is not really voiced for hard rock or stoner rock unless you’re running pedals.

FWIW, I play hard rock/stoner rock (like Clutch) in a band and use a CR120H through a CRPRO412. I love it and see no reason to spend another $500+ on a tube amp just because it has tubes.