Micro Dark to Dark Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

orangeadam

Micro Dark to Dark Terror

Post by orangeadam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 am

I was wondering if any of y'all think it is worth it to upgrade from the Micro Dark to the Dark Terror. I really love the sound of the Micro Dark. I run it with a boost/od in front and TC HoF in the loop and then I have a Torpedo Captor using the -20db attenuation. I get a great Marshall-Classic Rock sound with Gain at Noon, Volume at 11 o clock and the shape at noon. I really like this because it cleans up well with a roll back of the volume knob on my LP and then when I want to get that Sabbath sound I just hit the boost and it gives it that little extra. So all that being said, is upgrading the the Dark Terror worth it? Will I notice a lot extra or will it just be an ok upgrade?
Thank you

orangeadam

Re: Micro Dark to Dark Terror

Post by orangeadam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:54 am

or another question would be what other Orange's could I upgrade to for a similar experience, I don't really need ultra high gain, highest I usually do is Metallica and that is rare. Mainly Sabbath and classic kinds of sounds

rock4blaqkhearts

Post by rock4blaqkhearts » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 am

orangeadam wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 am
I was wondering if any of y'all think it is worth it to upgrade from the Micro Dark to the Dark Terror. I really love the sound of the Micro Dark. I run it with a boost/od in front and TC HoF in the loop and then I have a Torpedo Captor using the -20db attenuation. I get a great Marshall-Classic Rock sound with Gain at Noon, Volume at 11 o clock and the shape at noon. I really like this because it cleans up well with a roll back of the volume knob on my LP and then when I want to get that Sabbath sound I just hit the boost and it gives it that little extra. So all that being said, is upgrading the the Dark Terror worth it? Will I notice a lot extra or will it just be an ok upgrade?
Thank you
You have to try the DT and see if you like it better than the MD. Personally, I think that the DT sounds much better but that's just my opinion. If you like the DT, you can keep the MD as a backup amp.
Here's a good comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPVRXAV-aTg

One thing that doesn't translate well over YouTube is how the amp sounds and feels in the room.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Even though the two are supposed to be related, I find zero resemblance in tone. I love the dark terror and was excited to try the MD but i found the MD to be pretty mushy and muddy. I played it through my ppc412 and a Marshall 1960.

If you like the MD, I am going to assume that the DT has too much presence and clarity for you.

The OR15 might be a little better suited to you but if you find a decent sized orange dealer, they typically have most of the lunchbox heads.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm

I own both amps. I bought the Micro Dark first and liked it so well, that I also got the Dark Terror. They are not really the same sound because the MD is a hybrid that can resemble tube amp tone. The Dark Terror is all tube and you can hear the difference. The speaker cab you choose will also determine to a large degree; what type of tone you'll get. I agree, for your question, you might want to sample an OR15. Most owners like them and their only question involves whether they will have enough wattage to play gigs,or not.

adkguy07

rock4blaqkhearts

Post by rock4blaqkhearts » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 am

I can also backup with the guys above are saying. The OR15 is great for classic metal tones like Sabbath and AC/DC right out of the box, no pedals. The amp does take compressors and boost/OD pedals well. I found that using a compressor and OD in front helps to tighten the sound for a more modern metal tone.

The Dark terror is also great but has more of a modern voicing.

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm

orangeadam wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:39 am
Thank you
I've never tried either so take this for what it's worth. But if (1) you love the sound of the Micro Dark, and (2) you have to attenuate such a small amp, what is the appeal of the Dark Terror, or any other amp for that matter? I really love my Micro Terror, so even though I've thought about the Tiny Terror, there really is no reason.