Orange TH100 will not take pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL

Orange TH100 will not take pedals

Post by GHOSTSHIPRITUAL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:46 pm

Hey Guys,

Just got an Orange TH100 and while the amp itself sounds gorgeous, I cannot for the life of me get it to take my fuzz pedals on the clean channel. They sound absolutely horrid. Just to make sure i plugged my board back into my other head and they worked fine. Also, the reverb sounds like crap in front of the amp as well. Is there a way around this or an easy fix? Changing tubes, etc? Anyone else run into this issue. I was pretty distraught because i was so excited with this purchase but literally cant use any of my pedals with it.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Orange TH100 will not take pedals

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 pm

IME Oranges do not take gain/drive/fuzz pedals well. It take a while to find one that cooperates. I had okay luck with a Gen 1 Pharoah fuzz in the past but haven't used a dirt pedal in ages now. Perhaps try it in the effects loop, as it would bypass the preamp and might work better.

Also which fuzz are you using, and what do you mean reverb sounds like crap? Too muddy?

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL

Post by GHOSTSHIPRITUAL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Yeah I'm running a fuzz face and an Acapulco Gold. Neither of them sound in any way usable at all. My Reverb just sounds way too shrill and way too much Reverb in the front end of the amp. That might work better the effects loop I don't know. Was hoping someone knew of a phix like changing a capacitor value or different tubes. My 808 also sounds like garbage in front of the amp

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Do fuzz face pedals not sound terrible unless you are pushing an amp on the edge of breakup? Try it on the dirty side set like this.

Totally put the verb in the EL lots of folks around here don't like their effects in front. As I said before fuzz in the loop might work too.

Good luck!

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 pm
IME Oranges do not take gain/drive/fuzz pedals well. It take a while to find one that cooperates. I had okay luck with a Gen 1 Pharoah fuzz in the past but haven't used a dirt pedal in ages now. Perhaps try it in the effects loop, as it would bypass the preamp and might work better.

Also which fuzz are you using, and what do you mean reverb sounds like crap? Too muddy?
I second that. The only pedal which works fine with both channels on my Rockerverb MK1 head is Maxon OD9. Other distortions / fuzzes I've tried sounded like c**p.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am

Boy_Narf wrote:

I use a Big Muff and a Blues Driver on my AD30 (channel one, clean) and they sound fantastic. The only thing it doesn't like is trying to mix outboard gain with amp gain.

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 pm

That's how Oranges are. The amp overpowers all pedal dirt sounds. Rarely is fuzz good in a clean amp. If you're using the clean channel at least crank it till you get some power tube break up. Give the dirty channel a go with some gain. If I'm using fuzzes with Orange I like to think of it as giving the amps distortion a little flavor.

Speaking of; I recently uploaded a video snippet to IG for testing: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeTH6Mkhvjc ... by=tiscaig
It's an OR100 on dirty channel with RAT for flavor.
Orange OR100
White LW100

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL

Post by GHOSTSHIPRITUAL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks guys! Im going to try and re tube it and mess around to see if i cant get anything usable with my fuzzes. Just sucks because I play doom/stoner stuff and we rely heavily on very saturated fuzz. Anyone know of any mods out there for the TH100?

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks guys! Im going to try and re tube it and mess around to see if i cant get anything usable with my fuzzes. Just sucks because I play doom/stoner stuff and we rely heavily on very saturated fuzz. Anyone know of any mods out there for the TH100?
I doubt tube swap will do much for what you want. Try loser strings, you probably downtune anyway. Actually does a lot for the doom sound.
Orange OR100
White LW100

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 am

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL wrote:
I'm surprized you can't get enough saturation from a TH100? Maybe try hotter 12AX7, but this wont radically change the amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 am

GHOSTSHIPRITUAL wrote:

To be honest, you might just have the wrong amp.
Have you tried the OR100??
That does fuzz. Beautifully!!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:50 am

Gray wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am
Boy_Narf wrote:

I use a Big Muff and a Blues Driver on my AD30 (channel one, clean) and they sound fantastic. The only thing it doesn't like is trying to mix outboard gain with amp gain.
Indeed. You may have to set the gain on the pedals differently than you do with other amps. It also helps if your pedals have a good eq. ODs and fuzzes can add a lot of bass, and Oranges tend to be sort of bottom endy all on their own and things can get out of hand fast.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:41 pm

mici88 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:25 am
Boy_Narf wrote:

I second that. The only pedal which works fine with both channels on my Rockerverb MK1 head is Maxon OD9. Other distortions / fuzzes I've tried sounded like c**p.
Same. Pharaoh slays on modern and vintage Orange Amps.

Frankie_G

Post by Frankie_G » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I use a Carl Martin PlexiTone pedal in front of my AD30TC and it sounds great.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:55 pm

Gray wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am
Boy_Narf wrote:

Ive never used a TH100 but of the Oranges I've owned the AD30HTC is the only one that sounds good with OD pedals and if you keep the gain low if also likes reverbs and modulation, the RV was terrible with OD pedals,
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30