LOOKING FOR A BACKUP HEAD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

streettriple95

LOOKING FOR A BACKUP HEAD

Post by streettriple95 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi !

So disaster struck at a gig, amp went down. Luckily it was local so was able to pop home and grab my blackstar ID CORE 260 (I USE THIS FOR PRACTICE AND HOME PLAYING ONLY)

As we play mostly around the UK if this happened far away there would have been no back up at all!!
So, instead of carrying a hefty weighted blackstar id core around (also it doesn't sound the greatest) I was thinking of getting a backup head something like the tiny terror or something, but worried that it wont sound loud enough. I currently play through a TH30H with a 2x12 and various pedals, the issue with the th30 was one of the valves went, I know most of you are going to say carry a spare set of valves around, but there is simply no time (as i finish work then turn up to the gigs) and I dont want to have to faff around trying to find the culprit.

Hope you guys have some suggestions!!

:)

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror

Re: LOOKING FOR A BACKUP HEAD

Post by Dexter211275 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:32 pm

I use a Crush Pro 120 to back up my R30, don’t have to worry about an extra set of tubes for another tube amp. Its also my rehearsal amp, love it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I agree it's not practicable to start opening up an amp mid set, you need a quick change around and be ready in a couple of minutes.

Spoilt for choice really ....you don't mention cost but I'm guessing your looking at something fairly cheap and portable.

I use as a backup either a Rocker 30 ..the R30 can be picked very cheap in the UK or Hard wired TT , the tiny Terror is my first choice, it's easily loud enough for gigs and extremely portable , also sounds fantastic if you like dirty classic crunch, it will easily get you through a gig, I've used it a couple of times as the main amp at some gigs where a clean sound wasn't required, definitely recommend.

Not used the Cr120 but it's cheap as chips and had great reviews...that's got to be another good option.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 pm

I'd say try to score and R30 or and AD30 2nd hand. They can be had pretty cheap if you wait for the right opportunity.

What would be great about those amps...... is that, if you like them enough, they might take over number 1 spot. Not dissing the TH30, ita a great amp in its own right for sure, but at least, you'd get a back up providing competition cor the top spot.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 pm
I'd say try to score and R30 or and AD30 2nd hand. They can be had pretty cheap if you wait for the right opportunity.

What would be great about those amps...... is that, if you like them enough, they might take over number 1 spot. Not dissing the TH30, it's a great amp in its own right for sure, but at least, you'd get a back up providing competition for the top spot.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 pm

What would be great about those amps...... is that, if you like them enough, they might take over number 1 spot. Not dissing the TH30, ita a great amp in its own right for sure, but at least, you'd get a back up providing competition cor the top spot.
Yes! I was thinking down the lines of AD30 (2nd hand) but cant seem to find one second hand (in the UK)
But saying this Orange have just released these 15-30 watt new terrors and rocker 15s etc so has confused me even more! thanks for your help though, I will keep an eye out for those AD30's

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 am

In a perfect world you have a backup of the exact amp you use.

However, that's not always practical so my feeling is, if you need something to make it through a gig, the Orange Micro Terror that is 20 watts could suffice in a pinch AND fit in the glovebox of your car. Not totally ideal but in a pinch would get you out of a bad situation....

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:18 pm

I gig with a Rocker 30 through a PPC 212 OB and so far it has never let me down, however a Peavey Deuce did back in the day and that was a disaster.
Sooo....I carry a Micro Terror to every gig just in case. Sound is not anywhere near R30 territory but through the PPC212 those 20 watts carry a fair old punch and would get me through a gig. The MT is tiny, very portable (fits in my leads bag), and only for emergency use, however if you want something a bit more serious, then the Tiny Terror or Dual Terror is your man. My bruv uses both and they are terrific little amps.
Worth carrying some spare tubes though............ :wink:
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm

If you want to keep it 30 watts, I'd recommend the Dual Terror. No effects loop, but you'd still have two channels to switch between. I've had mine a few years now and it's never let me down!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 pm

I have the EH 44 magnum. It's 44W, and the size of a pedal (but also has a power supply). It has a volume knob and a bright switch. If you have any pedals with their own gain, this is a backup amp that fits in your cable box. It's very loud if you try to distort it naturally, but works great as a power amp for pedals.

I keep it on top of my amp, and it's ready to go very quickly if my amp ever goes down. I just swap the speaker cable and the instrument cable from my pedals. I don't even have to move my amp out of the way. 30 seconds...back up and running. It will get me through the rest of the show.

'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI