OT: Donner Pedals = Mooer Pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

caldurham
Rocker

OT: Donner Pedals = Mooer Pedals

Post by caldurham » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

So I have been buying some Donner pedals. They are inexpensive, they sound good and they are well made. I've read in a few forums that Donner Pedals are rebranded Mooer Pedals. I have an extra Donner Tutti Love Chorus pedal and an extra Donner Yellow Fall delay pedal. I decided to confirm if the rumors are true so I took the chorus pedal apart.

Guess what? It IS a Mooer pedal. The PCB board clearly says Ensemble King where the rev of the board is etched into it. Ensemble King is the Mooer Chorus pedal.

So onto the Yellow Fall delay ..................

And the Yellow Fall PCB has Echolize DB / LEF 614 Etched onto it. The Mooer is the Echolizer and the LEF 614 is the Rowin clone of the same Mooer pedal. Looks like Mooer, Donner and Rowin are just rebranded versions of the same pedals.

That's funny because the Mooer pedals are usually about twice the price of the Donner or Rowin pedals.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: Donner Pedals = Mooer Pedals

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm

A lot of those “cheap” pedals are re-brands.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Funnily, Moore usually are cheaper copies of boutique / well known effects.

They might have decided thay someone might still do it cheaper than themselves.... and decided to take that chunk of the market too?????

There might be the odd different component and perhaps some lesser quality parts too, though on the main... most basic components are still pretty cheap.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 am

Jondog wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:05 pm
A lot of those “cheap” pedals are re-brands.
Just want to clarify that by “cheap” I don’t mean bad. Some of the Mooer stuff is pretty good.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:03 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 am
Just want to clarify that by “cheap” I don’t mean bad. Some of the Mooer stuff is pretty good.
yeah lol. cheap doesn't always mean bad at all. after watching Brian Wampler and some others on youtube talk about building pedals and such it's opened my eyes quite a bit. A lot of people would be surprised at how much the components actually cost to build some of these high dollar boutique pedals. And Mr. Wampler has loads of youtube videos going into all kinds of things about pedal building or mods and such, really interesting channel he has.

the funny thing to me about the Donner = Mooer thing is reading peoples comments on forums or youtube where they are bashing the donner pedals and telling people they'd be better off paying for the Mooer pedals. They are the same pedals! :lol: :lol:

btw any of you into building your own pedals by chance?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:47 am

caldurham wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:03 am
btw any of you into building your own pedals by chance?
From time to time when I have time.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:12 am

I've built a few clones too, some I've modded to my taste, or improved after I build them.

That's why I'm saying..... they may look the same, or have the same PCB, it a few components value changes an make them very different, or more or less noisy.

The components costs (resistors, capacitors, transistors, IC chips) are pretty uncompressible. Where you can reduce costs a touch, is with the box, the in / out jacks, footswitch and power supply, and packaging.

But as you said, they very probably are broadly the same.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute