Dark Terror & Good Delay Pedal

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Dark Terror & Good Delay Pedal

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:47 pm

I'm enjoy my Dark Terror and have found a couple of favorite gain tones this week. It took me awhile since I purchased this amp in late summer last year. I think I've been slightly afraid of turning this amp up to see where the real gain sounds are hiding. I use only one pedal; that being a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb. I think I'd also add a good delay, but I want some suggestions about which pedal won't interfere significantly with these stellar gain tones that I've recently found. Any ideas from Orange users are appreciated.

adkguy07

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: Dark Terror & Good Delay Pedal

Post by mici88 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:47 pm
I'm enjoy my Dark Terror and have found a couple of favorite gain tones this week. It took me awhile since I purchased this amp in late summer last year. I think I've been slightly afraid of turning this amp up to see where the real gain sounds are hiding. I use only one pedal; that being a TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb. I think I'd also add a good delay, but I want some suggestions about which pedal won't interfere significantly with these stellar gain tones that I've recently found. Any ideas from Orange users are appreciated.

adkguy07
In general, you have two types of delay: digital and analog.

Digital delays are clear, pristine and sometimes even too sterile. They stand out from your tone and are very "present".
Analog delays are quite opposite - dark, deep and have a lot character of its own. They blend with tone, sit rather in background giving a lot of feel and space.

With that being said it all comes to your personal preferences. If you want just typical 80s lead delay (let's say 350 ms with 3-5 repeats) then I would choose something digital - Boss DD-3 is a good starting point. For other things like slap or short delay times analog might be better - perhaps MXR Carbon Copy? However if are not sure what you want you should consider something like TC Electronic Flashback (regular or X4 version) - you have tons of presets to mess with.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:33 pm

My recommendation is always the same..... Vox Time Machine.

Great little delay, has tap tempo too, which is a must IMO. Sounds brilliant too, and can be set vintage (sound degradation like bucket brigade chips) or modern (cleaner repeats). You can add a touch of modulation too.

All in all..... a great delay, and they are extremely good value 2nd hand. I heavily recommend it.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Can’t go wrong with Boss

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:25 am

Just picked up an Ibanez ADmini. Awesome sounding pedal, and quite affordable.