Orange Amps and Big Muffs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Paulholland

Re: Orange Amps and Big Muffs

Post by Paulholland » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:46 am

thejay wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:38 am
I just got one of the op amp big muffs and I dig it. I used it with a Rockerverb at the end of the video...
https://youtu.be/0QUzF7BW12g
How does it sound through the rocker 30? Can you get that smashing pumpkins wall of sound tone at a loud volume?

SexingtonVonHercules

Post by SexingtonVonHercules » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm

With heavy distortion and fuzz, it's crucial to turn down the gain level as your master volume increases. Saturation that sounds good at bedroom levels, quickly turns to mush when the power tubes start to break up

I use a Big Muff(ish) fuzz with my AD30HTC every day. It's all about settings. In fact, I personally prefer fuzz with a more mid focused amp/speaker combo such as a British flavoured amp into v30's rather than a scooped tone. The special thing about BM's is that you can crank the gain, play an E major chord and hear every string ring out, whereas if you try that with other fuzzes such as a fuzz face, it's slop.

As for the Pumpkins wall of fuzz sound; it's been well documented for years that the Siamese Dream sound was created in the studio by layering multiple tracks and EQing it to take up a lot of space in the audio spectrum which is why the album seems so guitar heavy... Similar to Metallica's "And Justice For All" If you listen to their live stuff, they sound like two regular guitar players with Big Muff's.

Well, this post is a lot longer than I intended, especially for a first post, but the important thing to remember is don't believe the hype. I think a Big Muff into an Orange is one of the most glorious sounds ever..(in my basement.)

SexingtonVonHercules

Post by SexingtonVonHercules » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:33 pm

Forgot to mention, I'm referring to playing into a clean amp. I've never been one for stacking fuzz pedals or playing fuzz into an amp with preamp gain.

Paulholland

Post by Paulholland » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm

SexingtonVonHercules wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm
With heavy distortion and fuzz, it's crucial to turn down the gain level as your master volume increases. Saturation that sounds good at bedroom levels, quickly turns to mush when the power tubes start to break up

I use a Big Muff(ish) fuzz with my AD30HTC every day. It's all about settings. In fact, I personally prefer fuzz with a more mid focused amp/speaker combo such as a British flavoured amp into v30's rather than a scooped tone. The special thing about BM's is that you can crank the gain, play an E major chord and hear every string ring out, whereas if you try that with other fuzzes such as a fuzz face, it's slop.

As for the Pumpkins wall of fuzz sound; it's been well documented for years that the Siamese Dream sound was created in the studio by layering multiple tracks and EQing it to take up a lot of space in the audio spectrum which is why the album seems so guitar heavy... Similar to Metallica's "And Justice For All" If you listen to their live stuff, they sound like two regular guitar players with Big Muff's.

Well, this post is a lot longer than I intended, especially for a first post, but the important thing to remember is don't believe the hype. I think a Big Muff into an Orange is one of the most glorious sounds ever..(in my basement.)
Thanks for the reply

cheerios

Post by cheerios » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:00 am

I brought my big muff to the shops when I was shopping for amps because it was important that it sounded good.

I was blown away by the big muff into the clean on the Rocker 15. It was growling at me. I have a Rocker 15 now.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:35 pm

I don't know about the Big Muff, but I have a FuzzFace that I never use because it's just too noisy and doesn't cut through the mix at all when playing with the band. I just use the onboard dirty channel of my CR120H and I'm good to go.