Anyone gigging a dual terror?? Thinking of buying one.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Anyone gigging a dual terror?? Thinking of buying one.

Post by pattyzero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:39 am

I'm gonna downsize from my 100 watt jcm800 stack and get something more portable and practical.
I need something around 30-50 watts with a lead channel and thats simple ot use.

I had a tiny terror hardwired for years and absolutely loved it. I'm wondering if the dual terror might fit the bill.

Is anyone gigging one??? What type of sounds/music are you using it for??

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone gigging a dual terror?? Thinking of buying one.

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am

You should consider the old Rocker 30 too.
A lot of people compare it to a JCM 800 on steroids, and can be found in combo too.

That would make for a super portable rig.
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 am
You should do side the old Rocker 30 too.
A lot of people compare it to a JCM 800 on steroids, and can be found in combo too.

That would make for a super portable rig.
I'll keep my eye out for one!!
Although I think i'd struggle to get a lead boost out of one by the sounds of it.

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror

Post by Dexter211275 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 pm

pattyzero wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:01 pm
I'll keep my eye out for one!!
Although I think i'd struggle to get a lead boost out of one by the sounds of it.
You should have an easier time getting a lead boost out of an amp with EL34s than EL84s. A good boost pedal in front of it should do just fine.

lowerorder2017

Post by lowerorder2017 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Yeah I've gigged mine often.

I'm always very happy with how it sounds, fat and punchy but with top end clarity. I've found keeping the volume at about half on the 30w setting and keeping the gain at half gives a bit of extra room for solo boosts; I've been using an MXR Custom Badass Overdrive and it works very well.
I own more amps than I need but less than I want.

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Very similar setup to mine!!
I'm surprised theres enough headroom for a solo boost, I'd assumed you'd need the 2nd channel for that.

lowerorder2017

Post by lowerorder2017 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Excellent choice of setup :D well as long as you don't crank the volume there's enough to get by; I basically have the output of my OD pedal cranked and very little to no gain on it. It's not a massive jump in volume as the amp is compressing a bit by that stage but it's enough to thicken up the sound and emphasise solos and heavier riffs.
I own more amps than I need but less than I want.

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello there! I gig a Dual Terror. The various bands in which I take part have a few different styles. My main band for years was a punk-ish/rock band. Descendents, Weezer and the like. Loud guitars and loud drums. I never used any pedals. Just cranked the amp. It was perfect. It was glorious.

The band I've started, now, is more of an Oasis/Ryan Adams type. The Orange Dual Terror has SHINED in this capacity. I've owned a Vox AC30, in the past, and the DT does that "edge of breakup" tone so much better (in my opinion). With this band I've been using a Klon KTR and EQD Dispatch Master in front.

As for volume, I usually don't take it off the 7 watt mode for gigs. We are mic'd 100% of the time, so it's not an issue. For practice, I'll just flip up to the 15 watt mode and I've never had an issue being heard, or hearing myself in the mix.

Hope this information helps!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

Paulholland

Post by Paulholland » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 am

I gig with the dual terror in one band and rocker 30 in another. Can't go wrong with either. I saw a video of Ade talking about his thoughts on the dual terror. Basically whole point was to set it up to use one channel as a lead boost.

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Are the r30 and dt30 similar in sounds and feel??
Is it possible to get a decent solo boost out of the rocker 30 ??

Paulholland

Post by Paulholland » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 pm

pattyzero wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:06 pm
Are the r30 and dt30 similar in sounds and feel??
Is it possible to get a decent solo boost out of the rocker 30 ??
both amps are pure rock machines. I think the dual terror has just a little bit more gain but it's minimal. I think the rocker sounds "more raw/fatter" than the DT. I think it has to do with the differences in power tubes. I like both very much so I use both in 2 different bands. They're so close I switch amps between bands all the time. Kinda just depends on my mood. The clean sounds are very different though. The DT will never be "clean clean". I use the fat channel for clean and TT for dirt. I just like the cleans on the fat channel better. I used to do it the other way around. The fat channel dirt probably sounds closer to the rockers dirt than the TT Channel. The rocker will stay clean longer than DT. I usually keep my rocker natural channel at noon and it's really clean. Depending on your tubes the power tubes start breaking up around 3pm. The pure power tube overdrive sound is awesome. (No pre amp gain at all) however it's freaking loud, too loud for the bands I'm in. The other guys I play with have 15watt heads.

I only use a mxr reverb on both amps. I play rhythm. I don't see why in the world you wouldn't be able to boost the rocker 30 with an overdrive/boost.

I saw a video where ade from orange said the reason they discontinued the rocker 30 was because they weren't making any money from it. Quality vs price point was a wash. Now the reissue rocker 15/32 is made with the el84 tubes in the Chinese factory. So it won't sound like the original. I'm thinking the new rocker sounds even closer to the DT.
Last edited by Paulholland on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.