Alternative cab/speaker options? GIMME THEM OPINIONS!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Fars

Alternative cab/speaker options? GIMME THEM OPINIONS!

Post by Fars » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 am

Hey there.

Acquired a RV50 MKII a while back and finally got the chance to crank that mother and HOLY. I feel like leaving house and going nine rounds with a god damned MOUNTAIN. THE POWEEEER!

Ahem. Anywhoo.

I'm currently running it through a PPC412 and a Palmer 2x12 loaded with a V30/G12H-30 combo which i thought sounded just fine up until this point, but now that the 3/4-stack has placed the Palmer a bit closer to my ears i now realise just how much treble both the V30 and G12H-30 are pushing, and just how bassy the PPC412 can be. Makes for a slightly unbalanced sound, i feel. Sounds fine with a good set of earplugs, but even at reasonable volumes it all gets a bit too fizzy and rumbly for my tastes.

So -- to the matter at hand.

Do any of you out there have any experience with other cab/speaker combinations? Eminence, WGS? Thoughts and preferences? Likes/dislikes? Favourite dishes? Cats or dogs?

It'd be interesting to see what kind of combinations exist outside of the V30-zone.
Cheers!
Loud is my favourite volume level.

MKII RV50 | '09 Deluxe V-neck Strat
PPC412 | Tokai Firebird
Palmer 2x12 | 1981 SG Firebrand
+ an unspecified amount of pedals, amps and cheap guitars.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: Alternative cab/speaker options? GIMME THEM OPINIONS!

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am

I have my 4X12 loaded with eminence speakers 2X Governor, 2X Wizard. I know it's a question of taste, and I won't say it's better than this or this. I just can say I love this combination, clears are big and resonant, dirty sounds stay tight and musical.

I have another 2X12 cab loaded with 2 Eminence wizard, and it works very well too.

I've tried V30, but like the eminence better. They are cheaper and very reliable.

Once again all this is a pesonal opinion, nothing peremptory.

Fars

Post by Fars » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am

Interesting. How would you say the Eminences compare to the V30s sonically? They're both fairly scooped, no?

Been researching the WGS Invader 50 as it seems to have a nice treble roll-off.

PPC412 | Tokai Firebird

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm

If we compare a V30 with a Governor, the sound of the V30 has more scoped mids, the governor is more tight and powerfull on bass, and accept more volume. Well that's my view.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I just like V30s.

My PPC212 is well broken in, I love it.

How does your 3/4 stack sound in band context?
What you perceive as a bit shrill on your own, once in the middle of a room with a full band might well sound just fine and balanced.
Does it sound better simply through the PPC412?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Fars

Post by Fars » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

The stack does just fine in a band context, could be it's the sheer volume (always... loud) but the v30's definitely cut through, that's for sure.
It's just that i feel like i could rein the sound in a tad. Have a more pleasant room tone in general, something that sounds good to both me and the audience, rather than just producing an exorbitant amount of treble and high mids so people get the general idea regardless of what level of half-deaf they are.

The PPC412 i think just isn't for me. Sound in general is magnificent but I can't turn the bass down any further than i already have.
As for alternatives I'm loathe to get myself another 1960 cab, as they - :!: in my experience :!: - suffer from a lack of low end definition. Gets a bit mushy. That's why I'm thinking I might eventually roll the dice on a standard-sized Zilla. Aaand that's why I'm entertaining the notion of trying an alternative to the trusty V30.

Beyond the V30 and G12T-75/G12H-30 i don't really have much first hand experience and there's a disturbing lack of gearheads in my immediate circle of acquaintances, so I'm just looking for input and personal experiences to fill in the blanks, pretty much.

PPC412 | Tokai Firebird

Fars

Post by Fars » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Hubaxe wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 pm
If we compare a V30 with a Governor, the sound of the V30 has more scoped mids, the governor is more tight and powerfull on bass, and accept more volume. Well that's my view.
You had me at ''more volume''. :D
Sounds like something i should check out for sure.

PPC412 | Tokai Firebird

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Fars wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm
The stack does just fine in a band context, could be it's the sheer volume (always... loud) but the v30's definitely cut through, that's for sure.
It's just that i feel like i could rein the sound in a tad. Have a more pleasant room tone in general, something that sounds good to both me and the audience, rather than just producing an exorbitant amount of treble and high mids so people get the general idea regardless of what level of half-deaf they are.

The PPC412 i think just isn't for me. Sound in general is magnificent but I can't turn the bass down any further than i already have.
As for alternatives I'm loathe to get myself another 1960 cab, as they - :!: in my experience :!: - suffer from a lack of low end definition. Gets a bit mushy. That's why I'm thinking I might eventually roll the dice on a standard-sized Zilla. Aaand that's why I'm entertaining the notion of trying an alternative to the trusty V30.

Beyond the V30 and G12T-75/G12H-30 i don't really have much first hand experience and there's a disturbing lack of gearheads in my immediate circle of acquaintances, so I'm just looking for input and personal experiences to fill in the blanks, pretty much.
I have pretty much the same experience speaker wise..... though really love the V30.

If the PPC412 exhibits too much low end, you want to find a cab with less depth.

I had a Laney Lionheart PPC212 with G12H30, and compared to my Orange PPC212 with V30, the difference was striking. A lot less low end, brighter and more open sound.

But I preferred the darker, thicker, moodier sound of the Orange PPC212 (to me). The narrower laney cab was really nice though.

Transformed my RV50 clean channel in a (almost) deluxe reverb. Massive difference.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 am

The issue with speakers is it's very expensive to experiment. If any test cost 400 £ $ eur, sure we can't do much.
The V30 is a standard, something that works, but like the OP I was not completely happy, I searched something slightly different, able to handle more power.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 am

It's personal choice.

I personally don't like eminence and much prefer Celestion and think V30 really suits Orange amps.

I'm using V30s mixed with Greenbacks at the minute although have also used V30s by themselves or with G12h which I also liked.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Fars

Post by Fars » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm
I have pretty much the same experience speaker wise..... though really love the V30.

If the PPC412 exhibits too much low end, you want to find a cab with less depth.

I had a Laney Lionheart PPC212 with G12H30, and compared to my Orange PPC212 with V30, the difference was striking. A lot less low end, brighter and more open sound.

But I preferred the darker, thicker, moodier sound of the Orange PPC212 (to me). The narrower laney cab was really nice though.

Transformed my RV50 clean channel in a (almost) deluxe reverb. Massive difference.
Yeah, if i were ever to downsize to exclusively a 2x12 the Orange and Ironheart would be among the first of my consideration. Suuper solid cabs.

PPC412 | Tokai Firebird

Fars

Post by Fars » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 am
It's personal choice.

I personally don't like eminence and much prefer Celestion and think V30 really suits Orange amps.

I'm using V30s mixed with Greenbacks at the minute although have also used V30s by themselves or with G12h which I also liked.
I think the V30's a great speaker, just doesn't help the 4/6k fizz-situation.
I also use fuzzboxes a lot so i'm not exactly making it any better.

PPC412 | Tokai Firebird

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 am
It's personal choice.
Sure, so much parameters in line. That's why I never write that my setup is "better", it just match my taste and gears.