Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: R30 FX Loop

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 am

Jondog wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:45 pm
Heres an image of the board (pulled from my AD2 build). Been meaning to install this in my Rocker but haven't got around to it yet. I circled the pads in yellow that get jumpered together if you want to omit the boost function switch. You can also see I used a toggle switch for the bypass switch and used cliff jacks like Orange. If you plan to use this style jack I wouldn't drill for the supplied jacks because I think the hole diameter is bigger with the jacks they include.
You might also notice I have the power supply board separated from the loop board, not necessary but I was fitting this in a small chassis. On my first Rocker I had the switches and Jacks all wired off the board and had the board sitting perpendicular to the amps board in the 30mm gap between the amp pcb and at the back of the amp chassis. Found a good place for the jacks is in the square label on the back with the "Caution, Risk of Electric Shock" notice. I made a small plate painted white that perfectly covered this square and had the SEND and RETURN labels on it. I can't remember exactly, I'd have to get my meter on it but I tapped the power from the phase inverter section, and soldered into one of the test point vias. Maybe TP10 which is just above V2. I'm not certain though, you could check the voltage there. I sent you a PM Les Paul Lover, I don't know if it sent though??

Thanks a lot for that.

I've been reading the instructions and your schematic.

Looks like the capacitor just before the phase inverter is 47nf on both the R30 and AD15.

I looked at where it recommend to tap the power, just after the 1st RC filter in the power supply- so that wouod just after the 150o resistor you labelled choke, right?

Do you hear a difference between bypass and non bypass mode?

By the way, I didn't receive your PM I'm afraid. And my mail box isn't out of room.

You can also PM on Facebook if that's easier. :)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm

I never really heard much difference between bypass and non bypass which is why I like this loop, it's a very transparent loop. Have to consider that anytime you put something in the circuit, you're creating signal path circuitry so it may not sound exact, but of the loops I've used it's been my favorite in regards to transparency.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am

Jondog wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm
I never really heard much difference between bypass and non bypass which is why I like this loop, it's a very transparent loop. Have to consider that anytime you put something in the circuit, you're creating signal path circuitry so it may not sound exact, but of the loops I've used it's been my favorite in regards to transparency.

I opened up my R30 this weekend to make a preliminary inspection.

In the picture below, I've highlighted 2 possible locations for the FX loop, up top next to the power supply, or all the way to the left.

Right now, I think I'll fit it on the left. There's plenty space to fit it, and it leaves access to the rest of the circuit board for maintenance purposes. I'm hoping that longish runs of wires for the power supply and the audio signal path wouldn't introduce any unwanted noise.
By fitting in the left corner, and not fitting the send / Return jacks on the PCB, I can also fit the jacks in the top left corner just below the 8/16ohms taps. Plenty of room for the switches too.

Fitting it on the top next to the power supplies is much less practical. I'd have to bend some of the TX connectors to the amp PCB to allow room for the FX loop pcb. It would also mean that the fuses on that section of the amp board would be difficult to access for maintenance purposes. I don't really want to fit the send return jacks sockets in that area either.

The only positive would be the reduced wire runs.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:18 pm

That area was tempting for me. I choose where I put it because of the reduced wire runs, plus I wanted to put the jacks in the center, in line with the other jacks. I put the board on edge in that space which gave lots of room. All personal preference really. Just remember to use shielded wire for the signal wires. Can use a twisted pair as well, but the shielded is better. Ground wire only connected at one end.