OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Post Reply
Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

So I'm realativley new to Orange amps and love my OR15 and would like to pick up another Orange that sounds like it but with more power. Logic says the OR50 or 100 is the way to go but from what I have heard from them online, they don't seem to sound much like the 15 at all. Granted, online clips aren't the same as playing them yourself with your own guitar and settings. Do they share the same tone stack/circuit? The OR15 just has that awesome fuzzy and vintage sounding gain up around 3 o'clock. Sounds like a 70s kinda vibe to me, I just love it. The Rockerverb III and DT I played have a different gain sound. It sounds much more modern to me and has a Marshall kind sound to it I'm not really into. If anyone has played both the OR15 and the 50 or 100, do they sound similar in person?

JMac
New Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:39 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by JMac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 am

I own all three. The OR100 is my main amp, and is the sonic big brother to the OR15; the OR50 is a bit of a different beast.

I use the OR15 for practice at home, and have found that when twiddling the knobs on a new pedal, I can use the OR15 to get the settings close to what I'll like with the OR100.

So yeah, the tones are quite similar, but of course the OR15 lacks the massive low end thump you get with the OR100. I loved my first OR100 so much that when they stopped making them, I bought a second one! A little compulsive, that way... :roll:

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 am

JMac wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 am
I own all three. The OR100 is my main amp, and is the sonic big brother to the OR15; the OR50 is a bit of a different beast.

I use the OR15 for practice at home, and have found that when twiddling the knobs on a new pedal, I can use the OR15 to get the settings close to what I'll like with the OR100.

So yeah, the tones are quite similar, but of course the OR15 lacks the massive low end thump you get with the OR100. I loved my first OR100 so much that when they stopped making them, I bought a second one! A little compulsive, that way... :roll:
Thanks so much! Would you happen to have any sample clips between the two? I noticed the 50 sounded the least like the 15 as well. I wonder why the 50 doesn't sound similar to the 15 and 100. I guess it doesn't matter as the 100 can be run in 50 watts!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master
Posts: 2273
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:27 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Hey Hey Hey!

Back in the day when electricity was yet to be discovered I was the owner of a lonely Tiny Terror and PPC112. I asked the same question but with the TT as the main attraction instead. I was recommended the Rockerverb 100 which turned out to be a gigantic disappointment. Several years later I picked up a Rocker 30 and have had it ever since. The Rocker 30 is close enough to the TT, then again all Orange amps sounds extremely similar, or can be set to sound similar. What I would not do if I were you (unless you have a pile of cash burning a hole in the internet) is go out and get an OR100. I would suggest you check out a Dual Terror, Rocker 32, Thunder 30, or Rocker 30 if you can find one. To me the biggest difference between the lower wattage and higher wattage Orange amps is low/low mid response. To some this is good, to others like me this equals mud.

If you have a lovely PC and an audio interface you can download something called Amplitube Custom Shop. They have a bunch of Orange models on there and offer a free 24 hour trial for all amps. They are not 100% accurate but close enough to give you an idea of what line to look for. You could even mic up your OR15, run it into the DAW, and do a shootout.

Good luck!
TT | R30 | R30C | PPC212 | PPC412

PedalTrain2 | PedalPower4X4

ST-300 | GLXD16 | Decimator2 | FlashBackMini | ST1 | TimeLine | BlueSky | RangIII | DMC2 | EX-50

www.soundcloud.com/modestnews
www.scratchbuffalo.com

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm
Hey Hey Hey!

Back in the day when electricity was yet to be discovered I was the owner of a lonely Tiny Terror and PPC112. I asked the same question but with the TT as the main attraction instead. I was recommended the Rockerverb 100 which turned out to be a gigantic disappointment. Several years later I picked up a Rocker 30 and have had it ever since. The Rocker 30 is close enough to the TT, then again all Orange amps sounds extremely similar, or can be set to sound similar. What I would not do if I were you (unless you have a pile of cash burning a hole in the internet) is go out and get an OR100. I would suggest you check out a Dual Terror, Rocker 32, Thunder 30, or Rocker 30 if you can find one. To me the biggest difference between the lower wattage and higher wattage Orange amps is low/low mid response. To some this is good, to others like me this equals mud.

If you have a lovely PC and an audio interface you can download something called Amplitube Custom Shop. They have a bunch of Orange models on there and offer a free 24 hour trial for all amps. They are not 100% accurate but close enough to give you an idea of what line to look for. You could even mic up your OR15, run it into the DAW, and do a shootout.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I like my OR15 at 3 o'clock on the gain. My Micro Dark can't match the gain even all the way up. From what I have seen online, the DT doesn't seem t have enough gain on tap for my liking but the Rocker 30 might and someone is selling one local for $650. A local shop also has a TH30 for $650. So I guess I can go check out both and go from there.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 3:39 am
Location: In the beautyful North , UK
Contact:

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am

I'd certainly recommend checking out a Rocker 30 ...the dirty channel is a bit of a beast although still a little different to what your use to, it's a bit more punky sounding and very opensounding which really cuts through.......I think its likely what you might need , be prepared though for a rather bland natural channel (imo) and a none linear response on the volume knob on the dirty channel ie turn the knob a very little and it goes from quiet to extremely loud, enjoy.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Orange Tiny Terror Hard Wired Edition,
Gibson SG 61, Gibson SG STD, fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Tiny Terror, Rv50

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6046
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm

If the dual terror fully cranked hasn't got enough gain for you, I'm not sure the Rocker 30 will do - they are both 3 gain stages amps.

The TH30 has 4 gain stages, like your OR15, but sounds more modern.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, AD15, Tiny Terror, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Im going to check out the Rocker 30 today. I can get it for $25 more than I spent on the OR15 if I return it. I really like the OR15 though, so we will see.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6046
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

Dexter211275 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Im going to check out the Rocker 30 today. I can get it for $25 more than I spent on the OR15 if I return it. I really like the OR15 though, so we will see.

Good. Nothing quite like trying it out for yourself.

The R30 is a beast, I really love it.
Ronnie is right on every point in that post below:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am
I'd certainly recommend checking out a Rocker 30 ...the dirty channel is a bit of a beast although still a little different to what your use to, it's a bit more punky sounding and very opensounding which really cuts through.......I think its likely what you might need , be prepared though for a rather bland natural channel (imo) and a none linear response on the volume knob on the dirty channel ie turn the knob a very little and it goes from quiet to extremely loud, enjoy.
The clean channel with reverb is superb though. That's why I'm looking into missing mine for an fx loop!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, AD15, Tiny Terror, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6046
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:44 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am
Dexter211275 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Im going to check out the Rocker 30 today. I can get it for $25 more than I spent on the OR15 if I return it. I really like the OR15 though, so we will see.

Good. Nothing quite like trying it out for yourself.

The R30 is a beast, I really love it.
Ronnie is right on every point in that post below:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 am
I'd certainly recommend checking out a Rocker 30 ...the dirty channel is a bit of a beast although still a little different to what your use to, it's a bit more punky sounding and very opensounding which really cuts through.......I think its likely what you might need , be prepared though for a rather bland natural channel (imo) and a none linear response on the volume knob on the dirty channel ie turn the knob a very little and it goes from quiet to extremely loud, enjoy.
The clean channel with reverb is superb though. That's why I'm looking into modifying mine for an fx loop!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, AD15, Tiny Terror, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Played the Rocker 30 today. Brought my OR15 so I could A/B them back to back. I got the OR15 NEW for $499 because the local GC put the last two they had on clearance. So i got the OR15 and 2 years coverage for $623. The pawn shop wants $650 for the R30 which is a pretty good price. So I figured I would return the 15, get the R30 and it would pretty much be a wash. I was surprised how similar they sounded but the gain needed to be full up on the R30 to match the OR15's gain at 3 o'clock. I like having that extra gain stage. I was also surprised at how the 15 pretty much kept up with the 30 in volume. 10 o'clock on the R30 was like between 10 and 11 o'clock on the OR, it wasn't even a full notch difference. As you can see in the pic, my 15 is only slightly up on the volume knob compared to the 30 and they were pretty much at the same volume at that point. The 30 did sound a bit more full obviously as it has bigger tubes, but it wasn't hugely noticeable. I doubt it would be noticeable at all once in a mix with a full band at volume.

After evaluating everything, the only pros for getting the R30 was slightly more volume. The biggest cons were losing the extra gain stage and losing a two year coverage that covers anything that goes wrong with the amp for an amp I have no idea how well it was cared for and what condition the tubes are in. Part of the plastic on the gain knob on the 30 was also broken off and it had some slight wear. I think I might see if I can talk them down to $550, he did say its been sitting there for a long time. I probably wouldnt be able to pass it up at that price because I did really like it and I would keep both the 30 and 15. On a side note, Im glad I got to play thru that EVH cabinet too. I had been considering one as they are only $499. However, They lack bottom end and punch IMO. Nowhere close to my Orange 2x12, but I guess thats why they are $250 cheaper!

Image

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6046
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 am

Yeah, that R30 has its own thing going.
I really like mine, but it isn't a Jack of all trades.

However, I find it very inspiring. Since it sounds like nothing else I own (or have ever owned or tried), whenever I plug in, it steers me in directions my AD15 and RV50 don't. (My RV50 and AD15 have their own directions too)

I love that. :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, AD15, Tiny Terror, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:13 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 am
Yeah, that R30 has its own thing going.
I really like mine, but it isn't a Jack of all trades.

However, I find it very inspiring. Since it sounds like nothing else I own (or have ever owned or tried), whenever I plug in, it steers me in directions my AD15 and RV50 don't. (My RV50 and AD15 have their own directions too)

I love that. :mrgreen:
Agreed. I dont know why I thought the R30 was going to have way more power and volume. I guess because I figured EL34s vs EL84s was a bigger difference. To me, it sounded like flipping one of the 30 watts to 15 watts ( or 15 to 7) The volume drops slightly and you lose a little fullness, but other than that it pretty much sounded the same. I did like the R30 though, Im going to see if I can get them down on the price and grab it.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master
Posts: 2273
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:27 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Had to have the gain maxed? WOW! I play progressive metal and have the gain at 2 o'clock. Nice shop letting you crank them both to 10.

And the R30 should have been WAY louder. The dirty channel is pure pain at higher volumes. I'm only comparing it to my TT though, so that extra gain stage must produce a pretty hefty volume boost as well. Then again doubling the wattage doesn't double the volume. Technically the R30 should be a touch louder (3db i think right?) but your ears were probably at the point of no return by that time haha.

After your recent adventure I would change my vote to a Rockerverb 50, MK 1 or 2.
TT | R30 | R30C | PPC212 | PPC412

PedalTrain2 | PedalPower4X4

ST-300 | GLXD16 | Decimator2 | FlashBackMini | ST1 | TimeLine | BlueSky | RangIII | DMC2 | EX-50

www.soundcloud.com/modestnews
www.scratchbuffalo.com

Dexter211275
Tiny Terror
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:19 am

Re: OR15 sound in a bigger amp?

Post by Dexter211275 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm
Had to have the gain maxed? WOW! I play progressive metal and have the gain at 2 o'clock. Nice shop letting you crank them both to 10.

And the R30 should have been WAY louder. The dirty channel is pure pain at higher volumes. I'm only comparing it to my TT though, so that extra gain stage must produce a pretty hefty volume boost as well. Then again doubling the wattage doesn't double the volume. Technically the R30 should be a touch louder (3db i think right?) but your ears were probably at the point of no return by that time haha.

After your recent adventure I would change my vote to a Rockerverb 50, MK 1 or 2.
Thanks. I didn't get them anywhere close to 10 haha. Around 11 o'clock was the highest I got with the volumes and that was very briefly. I like dirty, fuzzy, crunchy drop tuning power chords (stoner rock style) so yes, gain was maxed on the Rocker to match my OR15 at 3 o'clock. I have an SG with '57 classics, so not very hot pickups either. I didn't like the RV 100 MKIII I played. Does the MK I or II sound less modern and less fizzy?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests