Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Amp For My Godin A6 Ultra?

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello Everyone!

Let's not talk about headroom for a few moments okay :D

I'm looking for an amp for my newish A6 Ultra. I'm a heavy strummer and do a touch of fingerpicking. I want a bit of grit on my tone, and oddly enough no acoustic amps/preamps (that I've found) have overdrive. I don't want anything excessive, just a hint of hair to give my sound some character. I've been considering something like a Blues Jr, as they have a nice clean sound, are portable/light, and breakup at low-mid volumes. Since the blended pickup setting I use isn't all that hot, I'll need something that can breakup a bit earlier.

The only features I require are a 3 band EQ (at least), and REAL reverb. Of course if this is a dumb idea, please point me in other directions :) If there is one thing I dislike worse than a solo singer song writer, it's that piezo into a PA tone.

Thanks!

P.S. I don't think I'll have any issues with Feedback. My A4 Ultra behaves itself until I really crank up the gain on my dirt pedal. They are essentially the same construction AFAIK. Also amp will be miced up live, and rehearsed at standard no earplug required volumes. No drummer, so I don't need the headroom :D WOO!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Amp For My Godin A6 Ultra?

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Hmm... this is a mainly acoustic guitar, right?

What if you got an Xotic EP Boost which is basically the preamp circuit from an Echoplex? That might give you the bit you're looking for...

I use an Avalon U5 for acoustic and I adjust it for each guitar that I use. It's not adding dirt per se, but it might be something useful as well (but pricey) It tempers that piezo into PA and adds a real natural quality to the sound...

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm

The A6 produces an "acoustic-ish" sound. I do a 50% blend right down the middle of the piezo and neck humbucker. Yea I was thinking something like an EP booster, but direct into the PA would probably sound pretty bad without some serious tweaking on the board. Was thinking a small tube amp set to edge of breakup and miced would sound pretty nice. Orange amps however, don't sound great with acoustic :) Too dark.

I forgot to mention that I'm currently using a redstripe peavey bandit with a ET90 in it. Upgrading the speaker seemed to improve the acoustic guitar sound, but made the electric sound worse. It sounds pretty good on the clean side, but the dirt on that amp is garbage.

I've been planning to record an album for this project for the past few years now, so the amp will be used for that as well if I ever get around to it.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 am

I'd have to hear the guitar through something to actually make any real informed recommendations....

rukuus

Post by rukuus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm

I hated any acoustic (i have several of the Godin subsidiary acoustics) into a PA until i got a Boss AD-2. Its a great pedal that totally changes how a peizo sounds.

otherwise i have no other advice re: amp.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Oh yea that thing!

Edit: NVM have you seen the price? haha.