Two OR15s into one 2x12?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sootio
Rocker

Re: Two OR15s into one 2x12?

Post by Sootio » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:52 pm

I've got an OR15 and a TH30. Lately I've been playing through the OR15 and running a cable from my stereo reverb into the effects return of the TH30. That means the OR15 is the only preamp and controls everything, but I end up with stereo reverb and and more volume. Basically it's an OR30 If I so desire. I run the OR 15 with the gain at about 10:30 and it just wasn't quite loud enough. I can reverse that and use the TH30 as the preamp also and that sounds great. It's a lot of flexibility.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm
Doubling the power (two OR15's) will roughly give you an extra 3dB. Noticeable but not huge.
Isn't that exactly the same as a 30W amp?

To my mind, the OP has an entirely valid approach to getting the OR15 sound he likes at the louder volume he needs.

Ideally, two cabs could be used - but a 2x12 sounds a lot different to a 1x12. So to use two separate amps, each driving a single speaker in the 2x12 isn't too hard to rig up.

Doing it the way the OP would like also opens up the possibility of an interesting stereo or wet/dry rig at some future stage.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 pm

PBA wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 pm
Rlw59 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm
Doubling the power (two OR15's) will roughly give you an extra 3dB. Noticeable but not huge.
Isn't that exactly the same as a 30W amp?

To my mind, the OP has an entirely valid approach to getting the OR15 sound he likes at the louder volume he needs.

Ideally, two cabs could be used - but a 2x12 sounds a lot different to a 1x12. So to use two separate amps, each driving a single speaker in the 2x12 isn't too hard to rig up.

Doing it the way the OP would like also opens up the possibility of an interesting stereo or wet/dry rig at some future stage.
Yes, two 15 watt amps will be virtually the same as one 30 watt amp -- about 3dB louder than one 15 watt amp.

Yes, the OP's approach is a valid one, if he wants to rewire his cab or carry two cabs around. And it does offer stereo and wet/dry options.

Using the OR15's loop send into another amp's loop return is also a valid approach. Although the second amp won't get the sound of the OR15's power amp.

A Powerstation is another valid approach.

All of these are expensive solutions (unless he already has another amp that has an effects loop).

If he has an Orange cab with V30's, that's about as loud a cab as he can get. But there are lots of cabs that are way quieter than that. It's possible he could get more dB's with a speaker change than by adding a second OR15 with his existing cab. And significantly cheaper, without having to haul any extra stuff around.