Stereo Cabinet OHM question?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Stereo Cabinet OHM question?

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 am

Hey Folks,

Rocking a port city OS212V cabinet with a set of 8 ohm Vintage 30's in it. Now I can set it in stereo for 8 ohm per side, or mono with either a 4 or 16 ohm load.

Now say I change both speakers to 16 ohms, would the following be correct?

Stereo: the originally labelled 8 ohm jacks would be come 16 ohms per side.
Mono: the originally labelled 4 ohm jack would become 8ohms, and the 16ohm jack would become 2 ohm load.

Thanks,

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Stereo Cabinet OHM question?

Post by afjungemann » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 am

I am not sure if you made a typo but the only thing that isn't correct is the new mono would be 8 ohms and 32 ohms. You may have just missed the 3 when typing but everything else is right.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 am

What would be your desire for switching to 16 ohm speakers? Having 2 8's means you can pretty much use it with most heads where as 2 16's will limit you more.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 am

Ah yes typo sorry. 32 ohms indeed. Wasn't sure if those stereo jack panels do something funky to the load or not. Thanks for the clarification.

Why the 16 ohm speakers? WELL!!! Um, Some long time drama with my rig and hopefully finding the amp of my dreams (on order) which just so happens to be 85 watts at 8 ohms. Too much power when running into one of the speakers. If I swap them for 16 ohm, then it will be 42.5 watts going into the 60 watt speaker and everything will be happy! Luckily I've been building a 212 cab for apparently two years now, and can use the 8 ohm beasts in there since I'm wanting a final load of 16.

YAY!

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 am

Oh I got ya. You could always go for higher power handling speakers. I am sure you have already considered that but just in case you haven't.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 am

Indeed I have, but I plan to go second hand for these and the V30 comes up pretty often for 50%+ off retail. Not to mention already being broken in.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm

You'll be losing 3dB cutting your power in half.

I know that part of your quest is to not have to haul more gear than you have to. But adding a 112 for your dirty amp and using the 212 for the clean amp would probably work better.

Besides giving you 85 watts from the clean amp, two speakers have a bigger, fuller, slightly louder sound than one speaker.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Do Orange amps not push rated power at both 16 and 8 ohms?

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Yes the Orange pushes full power either way. The Orange isn't the one you have headroom issues with.

I was talking about cutting your clean amp's power/headroom in half. Plus, running one speaker is a little quieter than running two.

So, a 112 for the dirty Orange, and the 212 for the clean. The Powerstage's 170 watts into 4ohms isn't too dangerous since you don't intend to crank the clean amp anywhere near distortion. And that should guarantee more than enough clean headroom.

The ISP's 60 watts into a single 12 was enough, but that doesn't mean 42.5 will be enough. Especially since the ISP was Class G/H and had a lot of instantaneous peak headroom. The Duncan might need more watts for the same performance.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Damn you following the story closer than I am haha.

I'm going to try running the pair of 8 ohm speakers for now. if I don't crank it the 85 watts should be fine into a single v30 at 8ohms. If I do start to detect something fishy, I'll swap in a set of 16ohm speakers.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm

I live for those moments when an idea turns my understanding of the world upside-down.

"Twin Reverb is too muddy and not clean enough" was one of those moments.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 pm

HAHAHAHAHAH.

Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about? I think it rips clean and "tubey" sounding with a single guitar track, but once you start pummelling it with loops the preamp really starts to warm/mud up. Also I think the latest models I tried out have been designed to breakup earlier. Who knows. What kind of guitar player is so focused on looping anyway? I should just hire a second human!!!

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:15 am

Oh, I realize the Twin isn't "hi-fi" clean. I was just surprised that any Orange player thought it wasn't "clean enough".

Nile Rodgers plugged Strats straight into studio mixing boards for his trademark super-clean tone that was featured on dozens of multimillion selling records.

Les Paul played super-clean on most of his records.

It's not that you're a total freak of nature or anything like that. Just uncommon in this day and age when most "cleans" have a lot of hair on them.