NAD - no more Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

skerwo
Tiny Terror

NAD - no more Orange

Post by skerwo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

Hi guys,

I received the message, that my new amp is ready to pick it up. It´s a clone of a 5F4 Tweed Super Amp with 2x10 speakers (Weber alnico and ceramic mix).

For years and years I had the imagination of a special amp sound in my head but I never thought that it`s the sound of a tweed style amp because tweed was Neil Young in my ears. But at my local dealer, Captain Amps, I played some tweed amps and found out the versatility and magic of these amps. My favourite was the Tweed Super with its 6L6 (5881) power section and about 30-35 watts.

So I ordered one, upgraded with Weber speakers and Mercury Magnetics transformers, a PPIMV and a rectifier switch to change between tube and diode rectifier.

In this link https://www.captain-koerg.de/captain-am ... per-fts59/ there´s shown exactly my amp. For this tone monster I sold my two Orange amps (Dual and Micro Terror). I compared the DT with the Tweed Super and the result was clearly. For my ears the Tweed had so much more of everything. Tone, dynamics, magic! But to be honest it´s about three times the price of a DT.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Captain Amp Tweed Super 2x10
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: NAD - no more Orange

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:26 pm

While I like Neil's rude crude nasty tone, he's modded his amps and runs pedals into them to mess up the tone. Not at all classic Tweed tone.

It's remarkable how much Leo Fender got right back in the '50s. Strat, Tele, Precision Bass, and Tweed amps. The first Marshalls were slightly tweaked Tweed Bassman circuits.

With a few refinements like yours, Tweeds are just as relevant today as they were in the '50s.

Congrats!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Looks like a sweet amp!!!!

Where will you get your crunh fix from these days then?
Run it hard and loud or pedals?
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:03 pm

With the added PPIMV he should be able to get low volume crunch. Maybe not heavy saturated high gain, but crunchy.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Rlw59 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:03 pm
With the added PPIMV he should be able to get low volume crunch. Maybe not heavy saturated high gain, but crunchy.
Oh yes. These things are handy, aren't They? :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:35 am

I'm not using that much gain at all, like classic rock stuff , Deep Purple for example. A lot of stuff I'm playing is only a little bit crunchy. So I'm using a T-Rex Soul Mate in front of the amp while the amp is running at the breakup level between clean and crunch.
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat

skerwo
Tiny Terror

Post by skerwo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 am

So here´s a little video with my new Tweed Super Amp. Nothing special but it shows some sounds of the amp with the T-Rex Soulmate in front of it.

https://youtu.be/RngsBNMsSfI
Amps:
no more Orange Amps
Blackstar Fly 3

Guitars:
Diego HSS strat