Crush 35RT Clean channel sounds distorted

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Lsdmt

Crush 35RT Clean channel sounds distorted

Post by Lsdmt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Hey guys so I'm wokndering if the 35rt is a solid state or tube amp?

Next I've had this amp for a few months now, bought it off some guy on CL. Perfect condition perfect sound. Took it thru a couple of band sessions [pushed it loud with the distortion channel) one day lithe clean channel started to sound real muddy and gross. This is strictly guitar to amp, no pedals or anything.

Also the gain isn't turned up it's strictly clean channel that sounds gross.
Also if I put the volume as low as it Can go it loses signal 1 second after the sound goes thru

Did I blow something? Is it repairable? Or is the amp trashed now?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Crush 35RT Clean channel sounds distorted

Post by bclaire » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm

Not tube...

You could bring it to an amp tech but be careful about how much you spend. I wonder if the speaker is blown...

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 pm

It's solid state, no tubes.

Often when an amp has problems, the symptoms give me an idea of what might be the cause. But I wouldn't even know where to start with the problems it has.

Just about anything is repairable. The question is whether the repair will cost more than the item is worth, and/or would you be better off spending the repair money on something else instead.

Most techs charge a base fee. Like an hour of labor just to look at it. If it takes 15 minutes to fix, you pay for the full hour. If it's quick and just needs a couple inexpensive parts, they may let the base fee cover the parts. Base fee is often in the $75~150 range.

If it takes 2 hours, you pay the base plus an hour, plus parts. (Again if it just needs a couple 10 cent resistors they may not charge separately for them.)

If the dirty channel still sounds good, I'd use the repair budget for a used Fender solid state amp and an a/b/y pedal. (Doesn't have to be a Fender, just that there are thousands of them and their small ss amps have decent cleans but poor dirty sounds.)

Another option would be to convert it to be an extension cab and look for a small used head.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:05 pm

I got the impression that the sound of the dirty channel didn't change. Both channels would sound bad with a blown speaker.

But going just by the description of the clean channel, yes the speaker could cause that.