Differences between OR15 and TH30 - volume, headroom and so on

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mici88
Tiny Terror

Differences between OR15 and TH30 - volume, headroom and so on

Post by mici88 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Here is the issue. I'm pretty much decided to let go my TH30 for few reasons (limited EQ, quite fizzy gain and a bit heavy to lug around).

What I'm looking for now is:

-Orange amp
-Lightweight, lunchbox format
-fx loop
-full EQ

How I would describe myself as a player:

-rather rhytm than lead
-rock, hardrock, grunge, sometimes oldschool 80s metal
-overdriven/distorted tones for 90%, so cleans are pure optional, not a must
-I play mostly in a rehearsal rooms, optional small, non-PA'ed venues

Looks that the only thing I can get is OR15. How loud is it / how much headroom when compared to TH30? Will it cut through on PPC212 with V30?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Differences between OR15 and TH30 - volume, headroom and so on

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I fear what you want may not exist in Orange land. The OR15 will cut for sure, but won't have the headroom that the 30 had. Do you need crystal cleans at all? The TH30 is regarded to have one of the better clean channels in Orange land. I have noticed IME, that most if not all of the lower wattage Orange amps have the "fizz" you are talking about. It just seems to be part of the Orange low watt tone. I've not had luck taming it completely on my TT until I ran through a cab with super dark speakers. Tube swap, and running the gain lower than normal did help though.

If you absolutely need lunchbox factor, I'll have to suggest the Mesa Mini Recto. They have a killer gain channel, and have way more features than you will ever need.

Back to Orange land :D

What I would recommend is either snagging a used Rockerverb 50 head (they can be had pretty cheap MK1/MK2), or the R32 Combo. Can take the combo to smaller gigs, then pair it with the 212 for larger stuff. I think it would fit the bill perfectly. I'm still not convinced it sounds as good as the OG, but it has an EL if you absolutely need one.

My last recommendation after playing a CR60C and loving it, is to check out the CR120 head. I was very surprised with this thing. Great tones, great sounding reverb, and even more versatile than the ones mentioned above. I just needed to ditch my tube snobbishness for a few moments to realise it is a great offering. They can be had for pennies compared to the comparable tube offerings. Might be worth checking one out, even just to use in the meantime till you find the tube head of your dreams.

Good luck!

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I've got both and I would never get rid of my TH30.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:07 pm

For your needs I'll second checking out the CR120H.

I know it's not toobz. But Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dimebag, Sevendust -- transistors have their place in rock history.

Dave64

Post by Dave64 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Not posing as an expert here, but would pedals, such as an EQ help?
Cheers,
Dave