Rocker 15 issue/help

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ericpanetta

Rocker 15 issue/help

Post by ericpanetta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:13 pm

I notice as a turn the knobs I get this scratchy sound through the speakers? It's this normal? The amp is 4 months old. Really disappointing. I bought an extended warranty when I saw it was made in China as I was worried about quality control. Now I'm glad I did but I know this will be such a runaround. Anyone have any feedback or issues with theirs?

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Rocker 15 issue/help

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Most likely the pots just need to be cleaned and lubed. Unusual and unfortunate on a 4 month old amp, but bad luck does happen.

Less likely is a defective cap leaking DC into the circuit.

USA warranty service:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30548

First thing to do is contact Orange. They can direct you to a local service center, or arrange for you to ship the amp directly to them.

Sucks. But since you've got the warranty you might as well use it, and not risk voiding it by trying to fix it yourself.

ericpanetta

Post by ericpanetta » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 pm

I have service request in the works, now I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm hoping there is a local authorized repair tech. I would rather just drove it there then wait for shipping each wayway

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:41 am

Defintely use warranty

beninma

Post by beninma » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:16 pm

I have the same issue in my Rocker 15 but have been ignoring it for a while after talking to Orange.

I don't know if this is true in your case but in mine this is only on the natural channel, and if you turn the volume knob back and forth 2-3 times it goes away until the next time you touch the Half/Stby/Full switch.

According to Orange it's grid leakage on the preamp tube and should go away with a tube swap. A scratch pot would not have the interaction with the Half/Stby/Full Switch.

I have not changed the tube because as far as I can tell there is no change to the sound of the amp.