Noob

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bblooz

Noob

Post by bblooz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello all, new to this forum - just thought I'd introduce myself. I am still learning to play guitar (aren't we all!). I have some pretty cool gear (Gibson Le Pauls, Fender Stratocasters, Vintage Guild Archtops, Marshall 2245 amp, Orange Crush 35). I just ordered myself an early Christmas gift - a Orange Tiny Terror head. I heard they can get "fizzy", so also ordered the British Glory mod kit. I'll post pix and updates as the story progresses. I have a 1x12" Celestion cabinet to play around with, but also have an older Celestion-loaded Marshall 1936 2x12" to hook up to this little guy when it arrives. I am looking forward to learning/sharing with you guys.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Noob

Post by bclaire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I have one of those 1936 Marshall cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's and it's probably the best sounding cab I own!

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Very cool! Welcome aboard!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi welcome to the forum.

The tiny terror is a great sounding head through a good cab, does it get fizzy ? Not in my view ....have a open mind and dont necessarily believe what you hear on forums without experiencing it yourself!!

enjoy!!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:51 pm

When I had to downsize into an apartment, I found my Tiny Terror got fizzy with high gain and the master turned way way down.

The master works very well -- it doesn't have to be super loud to avoid fizziness. But trying to keep it down to TV volumes is asking a lot from any tube amp.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:12 pm

I think the British Glory mod is decent, less overall gain available, but I never use much anyways. It makes it a bit broader finding a crunch sound. Inthink a lot of the “fizzyness” comes from the phase inverter and this mod addresses that.

bblooz

Post by bblooz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Got the amp yesterday, plugged in for a short time into the 1x12" Celestion. Sounds good, but I was surprisingly underwhelmed with the difference between the 15 and 7 watt settings on the power output. I guess this is typical for these, so I'm going to play it for a while with different cab/spkr combinations before adding the British Glory mod to it. Looks like snow here in Michigan this weekend, so good time to stay inside and play!

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Half-power switches are widely misunderstood. It takes 10x the power to double the volume (or to cut the volume in half, you need 1/10th the power).

So in the 15 watt mode, 1.5 watts is half as loud as full volume.

Speaker efficiency/sensitivity is measured with 1 watt input. That's measured at 3 feet, but room gain in a normal sized room means that the volume doesn't drop off much as you move farther from the speaker.

You don't specify which Celestions you have, but one watt will give you 93~100dB.

The half-power switch lets you get power tube breakup at a slightly lower volume, but it doesn't make the amp a lot quieter.

It also changes the tone a bit. A little less lively, less dynamic.

It's not enough to make it apartment friendly when cranked, that's for sure.