Modern metal with OR15?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rock4blaqkhearts

Modern metal with OR15?

Post by rock4blaqkhearts » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm

I love the natural sound of the OR15. But because of the amp's vintage voicing, it's very difficult to get a modern metal tone (Revocation, Between the Buried and me, etc). On high gain settings, the amp sounds good but the bass end sounds very open and "loose". Will adding an OD pedal help "tighten up" the sound or is it better to look into a different amp?

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: Modern metal with OR15?

Post by mici88 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 pm

rock4blaqkhearts wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:06 pm
I love the natural sound of the OR15. But because of the amp's vintage voicing, it's very difficult to get a modern metal tone (Revocation, Between the Buried and me, etc). On high gain settings, the amp sounds good but the bass end sounds very open and "loose". Will adding an OD pedal help "tighten up" the sound or is it better to look into a different amp?
Try the following

1) lower the gain (between 1:00 - 2:00 will do)
2) do some eq'ing (I suggest bass 2:00, mid 9:00, treble 2:00)
3) put TS type pedal in front (TS-9, Boss SD-1 or any other similar with level at max, overdrive at around 9:00 and tone at noon)

That should do, at least for beginning. Other thing is your pickups and cab, but that's a different story.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm

mici88 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 pm
Try the following

1) lower the gain (between 1:00 - 2:00 will do)
2) do some eq'ing (I suggest bass 2:00, mid 9:00, treble 2:00)
3) put TS type pedal in front (TS-9, Boss SD-1 or any other similar with level at max, overdrive at around 9:00 and tone at noon)

That should do, at least for beginning. Other thing is your pickups and cab, but that's a different story.
Exactly as above.
I'd suggest you tweak the mids once you are close to the sound you want.
It might also be worth thinking about adding a noise gate set to clip the guitar quite harshly.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Looks like one of the BTBAM guys uses or used to use a TV200.

I do just fine getting tones for my melodic post rock/hardcore project from a TT (no boost). The R30 is my goto for recording, but the TT does all the loud stuff. Gain set lower is the secret I think. I have the TT set with Gain and tone set somewhere around 1330. I mostly use guitars with stock P90's, so nothing with crazy output. For the rocker 30, all of the EQ is set to 3 o-clock and the gain also around 1330. Really it's all about pick attack. One thing I will say is I sometimes miss that low end response of a higher wattage amp when I'm rehearsing alone. With a bass player it would be all good though.

Orange 15 watt amps all have a touch of the fizz which can make higher gain settings sound a bit less "modern". It can be tamed slightly with different tubes or keeping the gain a touch lower that usual.

GL!

I've done many a "hardcore" recording with my R30, and surprised quite a few people considering it's a classic rock amp heh.

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 pm

An EQ in the loop of my OR15 always made it as metal as the day is long

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:57 pm
Looks like one of the BTBAM guys uses or used to use a TV200.

I do just fine getting tones for my melodic post rock/hardcore project from a TT (no boost). The R30 is my goto for recording, but the TT does all the loud stuff. Gain set lower is the secret I think. I have the TT set with Gain and tone set somewhere around 1330. I mostly use guitars with stock P90's, so nothing with crazy output. For the rocker 30, all of the EQ is set to 3 o-clock and the gain also around 1330. Really it's all about pick attack. One thing I will say is I sometimes miss that low end response of a higher wattage amp when I'm rehearsing alone. With a bass player it would be all good though.

Orange 15 watt amps all have a touch of the fizz which can make higher gain settings sound a bit less "modern". It can be tamed slightly with different tubes or keeping the gain a touch lower that usual.

GL!

I've done many a "hardcore" recording with my R30, and surprised quite a few people considering it's a classic rock amp heh.
The R30 can sound so heavy!!!!!
It's a great low wattage stoner amp too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

rock4blaqkhearts

Post by rock4blaqkhearts » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:48 am

Thanks, everyone. I'll look into an OD and a compressor.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:01 pm

The amp is so small it would be easy to take to the store and try every pedal in their case to see which will give you the tone you seek. Or trade it in for a TH30.
Thunderverb 50