Dark Terror Suddenly Stopped Working

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tie2Fly

Dark Terror Suddenly Stopped Working

Post by Tie2Fly » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am

Hello guys,

I have had a dark terror for around 2 months now with no issues, in fact it has worked very well up to this date. I am not quite sure where I went wrong but I happened to change it to standby mode while sound was coming through and when I turned the amp back on it does not play any sound anymore. I might have done something else too but I can't remember... There is still a hum from the amp, and the power light is on so I assume it is still getting power and the tubes are glowing (maybe a little faster warm up than usual but not sure at all). Anyway it stopped working all of a sudden and I hope I didn't ruin my amp!

Please help!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Dark Terror Suddenly Stopped Working

Post by Jondog » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:42 am

Check the HT fuse. If its OK it nay be a tube problem. If the fuse is bad, it also may be a tube problem.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 pm

In any case, jondog pointed you to the only 2 things a user can change themselves - fuse and valves.

If it's something else, there's nothing you can do - it's tech time.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Glowing tubes only indicate that the heaters are working.

Unless your house had a power surge, the fuse is probably blown from a bad tube. Tubes start to wear out as soon as they're put in and turned on...

I would replace the fuse and see if that's it. If it blows again, get new tubes - don't replace it more than once.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm

I have a new Dark Terror, not much older than yours. I do what its manual suggests to prolong tube life and let them warm up for at least the recommended 4 minutes....usually a bit longer. Before I switch to standby at the end of a session, I turn my guitar volumes all the way down. So far, so good, but in any case, if I experienced your problem, I'd seek out a tech. I have an Orange dealer in my area who I would check with.

adkguy07

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:15 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm
I have a new Dark Terror, not much older than yours. I do what its manual suggests to prolong tube life and let them warm up for at least the recommended 4 minutes....usually a bit longer. Before I switch to standby at the end of a session, I turn my guitar volumes all the way down. So far, so good, but in any case, if I experienced your problem, I'd seek out a tech. I have an Orange dealer in my area who I would check with.

adkguy07
The best thing you can do, is turn the volume on the amp all the way down, and turn the amp on without using the stand-by and let it warm up. I don't do this, I usually give it a minute, or turn it on and go get a drink or have a piss. :lol:

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm

You've had it for 2 months. If you bought it new from an authorized dealer it's under warranty. Tubes warranted for 90 days, the rest of it for 1 year (extendable to 2 years if you register it on Orange's website).

(Assuming you're in the USA; warranty coverage may differ in other countries.)

Flipping the standby switch while playing shouldn't have damaged anything.

(Flipping standby or power switch on off on off on off a bunch of times quickly can be hard on the transformers and capacitors, but flipping the switch while playing and then flipping it again a few moments later shouldn't be catastrophic.)