I have a TH30 crisis - advice needed!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mici88
Tiny Terror

I have a TH30 crisis - advice needed!

Post by mici88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am

So,

I've been playing my TH30 head for two years, mostly 80/90s hard rock, grunge and metal. In general, I like this amp - especially its cleans and crunch on 1st channel, power scaling and reasonable size and weight.

But.

Recently, I feel like I'm tired of its dirty channel. Seems to be limiting because of single-shape knob and specific gain, the only reasonable tone is

30W mode
volume at 10:30
shape at 10:00
gain at 1:00

If I increase volume or gain - things get too fizzy. If I lower them - then it misses bite and attack. Putting TS in front causes feedback and hum. What is even worse, dirty channel does not respond to volume knob as nice as clean does.

So, what is the remedy for me?

1) try to mess more with settings?
2) get a decent hi-gain pedal for clean channel?
3? sell it and get Rocker, Rockerverb or OR50?

Please, give your point of view.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: I have a TH30 crisis - advice neeeded!

Post by Jondog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:43 am

What you describe is what I don’t like about the amp. Nice clean channel, limited gain channel. It works for some people but the shape just does’nt do enough when your trying to dial in somethng specific. I don’t know what amp you’ll like more, all taste really. A Rockerverb is definitely a step up and thats where I went and was happy until I eventually settled on a Rocker 30 simply because I wanted simplicity and I really felt connected with it’s voice and character, you won’t get the same cleans from a Rocker, very different. Test out some amps, see if theres something that works better for you or even worth changing. Eq pedal might be enough.

thing62

Re: I have a TH30 crisis - advice needed!

Post by thing62 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 am

OK... I totally get it.

I too have owned a TH30 for a few years now. The amp itself is a wonderful thing with so many benefits. The FX loop, the 7/15/30 power shifting, the no bias tube setup, twin channels, it's just a very versatile amp all over. BUT I agree, the "shape" knob doesn't do it for me either.

I mainly use my clean channel now (which I've always liked on this amp) with my pedal board. I find I can get great tones out of my Les Paul with the dirty channel, but never switch it on anymore when I play a Strat or Tele through it. I just always use the clean channel and a BD2 or OCD.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 am

I keep my gain between 11:00 and noon, and the shape knob between 9:00 and noon, and run the volume at about 1:00 and have no issues. I run a BB Preamp and a Tone Reaper fuzz and it'll handle them at any volume. I do keep the gain low on the BB, and I don't crank the fuzz gain up all the way either. You're trying to balance tube gain and pedal gain to achieve what you want.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am

I wonder if your preamp tube is getting tired. Maybe a tube change will bring back what you liked about it in the first place...

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 am

bclaire wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 am
I wonder if you preamp tube is getting tired. Maybe a tube change will bring back what you liked about it in the first place...
That's another thing to check. Good point.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am

mici88 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 am
Recently, I feel like I'm tired of its dirty channel. Seems to be limiting because of single-shape knob.
Was there a point in the time that you've owned it that you have heard better from the dirty channel? If so, it might be time to check the tubes. Before springing for another amp, I'd try an e.q. pedal in the dirty channel to see how it may help. Lots of tone issues can be solved by employing an e.q. pedal.

The shape knob on some Orange amps seems to be a matter of opinion with some owners; judging by reviews that I read now and then. Some users saying that they do not miss the 3-band e.q. section. Still, a few others would at some point wish that the shape knob offered more. I have a Dark Terror and I like the simplicity of its shape knob......sort of reminds me of my very first amp back in the day with just one volume and one tone and no reverb. It was a Gibby Skylark 1959 IIRC!

Any shortcoming from the DT shape knob with respect to my own tone "sculpting", I got around by tweaking my Les Paul's pickup heights.

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Any and all concerns with the shape knob can be totally fixed with an EQ as the first pedal in the loop.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Mystic you are onto something!!!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Mystic38 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm
Any and all concerns with the shape knob can be totally fixed with an EQ as the first pedal in the loop.
I'd rather have the shape control bypassed in that case.

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:48 pm

I run a Orange Two Stroke EQ/Boost in the loop which gives all the EQ one could ask for. I have also used MXR 6band, but two stroke is approximately one billion times better for Orange tone

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:35 pm

If you run into the poweramp input on the effects loop then you can plug your EQ pedal/preamp pedal direct into that. You will be bypassing the preamp at that point. Clean channel will also be bypassed though.

Sounds like you just want a new amp and nothing wrong with that. Rockerverb 50 would be my recommendation if you still need a clean channel. You can find the MK1/MKII for pretty cheap on the used market these days. If you don't care about clean headroom look for a Rocker 30. If you don't need roaring gain from the amp, and don't mind hairy cleans at stage volumes, check out the AD30.

Another option which I recently just started to consider would be the CR120 head. The CR60 really impressed me. They are quite affordable, so might be worth a try if your budget is a bit lower and you don't want to wait around for something used.

***All of the above amps have "proper" 3 band EQ's.

streettriple95

Post by streettriple95 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 am

mici88 wrote:
So,

I've been playing my TH30 head for two years, mostly 80/90s hard rock, grunge and metal. In general, I like this amp - especially its cleans and crunch on 1st channel, power scaling and reasonable size and weight.

But.

Recently, I feel like I'm tired of its dirty channel. Seems to be limiting because of single-shape knob and specific gain, the only reasonable tone is

30W mode

If I increase volume or gain - things get too fizzy. If I lower them - then it misses bite and attack. Putting TS in front causes feedback and hum. What is even worse, dirty channel does not respond to volume knob as nice as clean does.

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you with my TH30 (head)
I bought it a few months ago and gigged it 10-12 times, but the dirty channel doesnt cut through the mix enough and when i turn the shape knob to much it sounds fizzy.
So, I sent the head back to Orange HQ (UK) and found nothing wrong with it and said it was just how it was made. My solution was a BOSS GE7 equalizer in the FX loop. with this i set the frequency levels i wanted, and whats more I sometimes use it as a volume boost along with a LPB1 Gain booster whihc seems to wokr very well.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:30 pm

streettriple95 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 am
mici88 wrote:
So,

But.

30W mode

I have EXACTLY the same problem as you with my TH30 (head)
I bought it a few months ago and gigged it 10-12 times, but the dirty channel doesnt cut through the mix enough and when i turn the shape knob to much it sounds fizzy.
So, I sent the head back to Orange HQ (UK) and found nothing wrong with it and said it was just how it was made. My solution was a BOSS GE7 equalizer in the FX loop. with this i set the frequency levels i wanted, and whats more I sometimes use it as a volume boost along with a LPB1 Gain booster whihc seems to wokr very well.
I'd be happy if you share your GE-7 settings!

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

A problem with adding an EQ is that the EQ settings that work with the dirty channel probably won't be what you want for the clean channel. So you'll have to stomp on two buttons when you switch channels. (You may also be stomping on delay, chorus, reverb, etc when switching channels.)

Some people tap dance better than other people and don't mind multi-stomping. And you can buy expensive loop pedals that let you switch multiple things by stepping on one button. But if you just want to switch from a great clean sound to a great dirty sound you may not want to deal with all that.