Any way I can run the dual terror into the power section of a peavey windsor 100watt head?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

GT57D

Any way I can run the dual terror into the power section of a peavey windsor 100watt head?

Post by GT57D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm

I was wondering if there was a way possible to run the dual terror in the power amp of my peavey windsor? If so, how?

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Any way I can run the dual terror into the power section of a peavey windsor 100watt head?

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 pm

A couple of ways. There are DI boxes that plug in between the amp and speaker and tap off a line-out between the DT and a speaker cab, with the line-out going to the Windsor's effects loop return jack.

(Caution: some DI's are designed to go between your instrument and the front of your amp, others go between the amp and speaker -- you need one that won't melt.)

Many attenuators have line-out jacks. Many Webers will absorb all of the DT's power if you turn the attenuator all the way down, and they say it's safe to not connect a speaker in that situation. So if you just want the DT through the Windsor without hearing the DT directly and don't want to lug 2 speaker cabs, you could do that.

You can also use an attenuator just as a DI by setting it for minimum attenuation or putting it in bypass. At minimum attenuation or bypass it shouldn't color the DT's output.

If you turn the attenuator all the way down so you don't hear the DT/don't need a cab connected to the DT, it'll most likely change the DT's tone somewhat.

Rlw59
Rocker

Re: Any way I can run the dual terror into the power section of a peavey windsor 100watt head?

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Presumably, you like the tone you get with the DT and its speaker, and just want it even louder?

If so, a DI is probably your best bet. You'll get the full DT+speaker goodness, then dial in more volume as needed with the the Windsor's master volume.

If the Windsor has different speakers than what you use with the DT the tone will be a bit different.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Most importantly - you have to keep a speaker connected to the Dual Terror - you cannot run it into another amp without some sort of interface AND keeping the amp connected to a cabinet.

The only other way I know of personally to do what you want would be a Marshall SE100 speaker emulator which would provide you a direct out to your Peavey or another power amp while allowing you to not have a speaker cab connected. Bad news: the SE100 was discontinued long ago but if you can find a used one....

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:36 pm

https://www.tedweber.com/load-dump

All the Weber attenuators can be set as dummy loads so you don't need a speaker connected.

If you get a little forgetful like I do, or if you're playing in a chaotic live situation, that's a little risky. Flip the wrong switch or turn the knob to the wrong position and then you absolutely do have to have a speaker connected.

If you don't want a speaker connected to the DT it would be a good idea to put tape over the bypass switch and the attenuation knob to make sure you don't move them.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Weber's 50 watt Load Dump might be marginal for a Dual Terror. Fully cranked the DT puts out more than 30 watts.

Weber has good customer service so check with them. If I was going to do this, I'd go with a 100W Mass Lite or one of their other higher wattage options.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am

There's a Marshall SE100 on ebay right now for $225. Great price.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

It would be great if GT57D would check back into his thread and give us more details about exactly what he wants to do. And his budget.

If he wants to run his DT & speaker and just add his Windsor as a slave amp, a $50 DI box is all he needs. (Like all guitar gear, you can spend a lot more on a DI if you want to.)

The Marshall SE100 is a super versatile box. Attenuator, load box, straight line-out, speaker emulated line-out. He could send the DT signal to the Windsor and the PA at the same (or use the speaker emulated line-out for recording).

Groove Tubes actually made the SE100 for Marshall, and also made their own version. GT's speaker emulation was more greenback-ish, the Marshall version was more G12T75-ish.

Palmer has a current-production speaker simulator. More expensive but comes with a warranty and no need to scour ebay, reverb, craigslist.

But GT57D may have no need for the speaker-emulation feature.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

For attenuators, I didn't mean to shill for Weber. I just knew off the top of my head that they specify all their models can be used as load boxes without speakers connected.

THD Hot Plates can be used that way.

Most attenuators have line-out jacks, but many don't specifically say they can be used as load boxes without speakers.

GT57D

Post by GT57D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone. Basically, what I'm trying to do is get the dual terror tone with a el34 power section.

GT57D

Post by GT57D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 pm

I have a 2x12 cab with V30s in it. I'm not so much interested in recording any of it, just wondering if it would be possible to play a gig with that combination. Again thanks to everyone and the info

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm still a little unclear. Do you just have one cab? So DT with no cab into the Windsor head with the Windsor driving the cab?

Then you need the Marshall SE100 or any attenuator with a line-out that can be used as a load box.

GT57D

Post by GT57D » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Awesome! Yes that is the setup. Dt into the Windsor and the windsor driving the cab. Thank you for your help brother! Really appreciate it

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm

If you run the DT without a cab into a load box, the DT's tone will almost certainly be changed.

There are a variety of Orange-flavored stomp boxes that are less expensive than attenuators/load boxes.

Might sound better, not require you to haul two heads, and present zero risk of blowing up the DT if a switch or knob gets bumped inadvertently.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Of course there's always the other hand...

You can use an attenuator with either amp at home or at smaller gigs if you want to get power tube distortion at less than room shaking volumes.

Good luck with whatever you try, and let us know how it turns out.