I love Orange 35RT - FYI

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kuba

I love Orange 35RT - FYI

Post by kuba » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:49 am

The background for title:
Just in case the info is helpful, the Orange Crush CR35RT appears to be indestructible.

I feel kind of bad. Although I've always praised this little amp, I do tend to emphasise how much more amp the CR60C is by comparison. I can't help it, it is a big step up in every way. But I'm a little ashamed. Let me tell you how the 35RT repaid my disloyalty.

Last Thursday I came out of rehearsal into rain. I was laden with guitar, FX bag and the 35RT.

I wasn't about to put any of the gear down in the dark, in puddles. The FX bag was slung over a shoulder, the guitar case was in my left hand and the 35RT in my right. My keys were in my right pocket. So, I hefted the amp and put it on the roof of my car (Nissan Micra - small, with a lowish roof). I opened the back of the car and stowed the axe and the FX. Aware that the 35RT was getting rained on, I hurriedly went to retrieve it from the roof of the car. In the low light I misjudged distance and, instead of grabbing the handle, I basically punched the amp by accident. It fell over, slid across the roof and off the other side falling into the road. Swearing even more than usual, I recovered its corpse and shoved it into the car.

When I got home I wiped the mud and oily water off the amp. I dried it off as much as I could then held it up and shook it while listening for the rattle of broken parts. Surprisingly it didn't rattle. I didn't know how much rain might have gone in the input and phones jack sockets so I didn't dare try turning it on. I propped it up against a radiator and left it there overnight and through the next day until I got home from work.

In the evening I plugged the Orange into the power. I connected the guitar and switched the amp01 on. It didn't go bang. I turned up the volume on the amp and the guitar and strummed. Nothing. I swore again. Last hope was that the guitar lead was a dud. I got another lead and swapped them over. Volume up, strum... Nothing. I swore again. I seemed to have a large orange-coloured paperweight.

As I reached to unplug the lead and put the stuff away I noticed the label over the jack socket I'd plugged the lead into: "PHONES". I yanked the plug out and stuck it into the socket at the other end of the panel. I strummed - and a loud, overdriven G major chord probably startled the neighbours.

The amp not only works but the tolex isn't even scuffed. I just ordered a cover for it and I may buy it some flowers too. I still love the 60w Orange, but I'm not taking the 35w model for granted any longer.
All of this, thanks for your reading :wink:
Last edited by kuba on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: I love Orange 35RT - FYI

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 am

That's some elaborate spamming.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kuba

Re: I love Orange 35RT - FYI

Post by kuba » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:43 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 am
That's some elaborate spamming.
Maybe you're right. :wink: