Clean Boost vs. E.Q Pedal?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Clean Boost vs. E.Q Pedal?

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm

How do you Orange amp user augment the sound of your amp, given that you like your amp's gain and just want to tweak it without messing wth the gain circuit?

I have a newish (to me) Dark Terror. It's shape control is well designed and I really don't miss the traditional 3-band e.q. control. There are moments when I would like to slightly boost this amp's volume and still keep that volume at relatively lower levels, i.e. loud TV levels, and keep my amp's tone.

I've have a "Fish n' Chips" e.q. pedal. Would I be better off using something like an Xotic EP booster, or TC Spark boost: either their mini or the full size model? Which would you pick for the purpose?

adkguy07

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Clean Boost vs. E.Q Pedal?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 pm

For me it's a boost pedal and the xotic EP booster is my go to boost pedal , I 've used it with a number of different Orange amps and it's worked well with them all.

Dont expect a lot of volume boost though if your already playing loud with loads of gain....but at those volumes you mention it will work great.

It also works well to liven up the tone of a valve amp played at low levels.

I've tried an eq pedal ...did n't like it.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:51 pm

If you just want volume, Micro Amp or Spark Boost seem to be popular around here. EP will give you a touch of color/grit.

C4th

Post by C4th » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:18 pm

I use a Carl Martin Hydra Boost. Works great with my RV mkii. It's a very clean volume boost and adds a tiny bit of top end, which works great with orange amps.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 am

I use a SHO clone which is pretty much a clean boost. It does make the sound a bit brighter but its pretty cool and can be an always on type pedal too

I like the EQ pedal for cutting thru the mix in a band setup especially if there's a lot going on. Dropping off the bass and boosting mids and a little volume can

be really effective in that situation.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:29 pm
For me it's a boost pedal and the xotic EP booster is my go to boost pedal , I 've used it with a number of different Orange amps and it's worked well with them all.

Dont expect a lot of volume boost though if your already playing loud with loads of gain....but at those volumes you mention it will work great.

It also works well to liven up the tone of a valve amp played at low levels.

I've tried an eq pedal ...did n't like it.
When you write "liven up", how are you defining this? I've heard a couple of online demos off the Xotic and both demos seemed to add some edge to the sound.

I can find some useful cleaner tones with the Dark Terror (who would have thought so?) and don't want to interefere and perhaps lose that tone by moving my amp or guitar knobs; and would just like that exact tone, but louder. Seems like the TC Spark mini would be good for that....that's one I've been thinking of.

adkguy07

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 am

adkguy07 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am
...I can find some useful cleaner tones with the Dark Terror (who would have thought so?) and don't want to interefere and perhaps lose that tone by moving my amp or guitar knobs; and would just like that exact tone, but louder. Seems like the TC Spark mini would be good for that....that's one I've been thinking of.

adkguy07
Counter intuitively, it sounds like the EQ pedal may be closer to what you want. A boost typically is used to push the front end of an amp and by doing so, there is a change in amp response. Normally, this is a boost in mid frequencies and a reduction in bass. If you want to keep the same sound only louder you probably have to boost the signal AND change the EQ. You will probably want to cut some of the mid frequencies but which ones and by how much - you would need to figure out.
Unless you are running at very low volume, Orange amps tend to have fairly limited headroom and distort in both pre amp and power amp, so there will always be the danger that all you do with either pedal type is increase distortion. Whichever pedal you go for, better results might be had by putting it in the effects loop where it would only effect the power amp section.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm

PBA wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 am
adkguy07 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am
...I can find some useful cleaner tones with the Dark Terror (who would have thought so?) and don't want to interefere and perhaps lose that tone by moving my amp or guitar knobs; and would just like that exact tone, but louder. Seems like the TC Spark mini would be good for that....that's one I've been thinking of.

adkguy07
Unless you are running at very low volume, Orange amps tend to have fairly limited headroom and distort in both pre amp and power amp, so there will always be the danger that all you do with either pedal type is increase distortion. Whichever pedal you go for, better results might be had by putting it in the effects loop where it would only effect the power amp section.
Good point(s). I am running at running at a pretty much low home volume. My Dark Terror has its volume @ 6.5 and my gain just over 3 (9 o'clock). If I were to put my Fish n’ Chips e.q. in the loop, would I have to figure out beforehand what frequencies I'll have to cut? I think I will experiment with the F&C first and just set it flat with a slight volume boost; this first before I choose whether to buy a boost pedal.

My other question: given the volume and gain settings I wrote above, am I already distorting the power section? It doesn't sound like it is to me. I know the gain setting is getting close to distorting. I can hear it trying to do so.

adkguy07

Aj_TinyTerror

Post by Aj_TinyTerror » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm

I went through the same thing with my TT. I got the Boss EQ pedal and it works GREAT! So cool, so versatile. As long as your gain is less than around 4 o'clock... hit the EQ pedal (that you would lower the output level/volume) and nice and clean!!
Good luck

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 am

I had and used both.
Now only an MXR microamp remains.
The graphic eq is great to carve the sound, but added too much hush in my humble opinion.
I now prefer the simple approach of the clean booster.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I've tried lots of boost/eq pedals and the only one that's left is Boss GE-7. I like its versatility - you can use it as a clean boost (for solos, maintaining your amp's natural tone), as a traditional eq to fine-tune certains freqs or eventually do both - boost + push some freqs.

I have mine in my TH30's fx loop and turn it only for solos: just a slight volume boost (no more than 5 db) and a little mid hump with 400-800-1,6k sliders. Cuts perfectly through mix.

Some say that GE-7 can be noisy, but mine is dead quiet with mentioned settings.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:30 pm

mici88 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm
I've tried lots of boost/eq pedals and the only one that's left is Boss GE-7. I like its versatility - you can use it as a clean boost (for solos, maintaining your amp's natural tone), as a traditional eq to fine-tune certains freqs or eventually do both - boost + push some freqs.

I have mine in my TH30's fx loop and turn it only for solos: just a slight volume boost (no more than 5 db) and a little mid hump with 400-800-1,6k sliders. Cuts perfectly through mix.

Some say that GE-7 can be noisy, but mine is dead quiet with mentioned settings.
I haven't had the time recently, to sit down with my JoyYo "Fish n' Chips" e.q. I am thinking that based upon comments here, that I will experiment with it before springing for a boost Pedal.

adkguy07

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:41 am

mici88 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm
I've given mine because of that. Really too noisy. Maybe some mod with low noise op amp would fix that.