Selling RV mkii for RV mkiii?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

C4th

Selling RV mkii for RV mkiii?

Post by C4th » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi guys,

I've got the chance to buy a RV 100 mk3, but will obviously have to sell my RV 50 mk2 to fund it.

Questions are - What are the differences between the two tone-wise? I love my RV 50 mk2 dirty channel but have never been so keen on the clean channel. Orange state they've made "improvements" to the clean channel of the mk3 (more chimey, more headroom), which personally would be an advantage, but have these improvements compromised the dirty channel at all?
Also, the mk3 100 can be powered down to 50 watts, so was just thinking whats the point of the 50 watt mk3? Or am I missing something?

Just hoping that with the 100 mk3, it'll be more versatile than my RV 50 mk2 and I'll therefore have more options with it's built in attenuator, ability to lower wattage etc.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Re: Selling RV mkii for RV mkiii?

Post by cddsix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:04 pm

I've owned two 50W MKII and two 50W MKIII, thats about all I've played for the last four years or more.
I play mostly the gain channel

For me the MKIII is:
- to my ears is bigger/tighter/More 3D/Note definition, circuit tweaks and bigger transformers etc made a difference
-The reverb to me is a lot better
-More clean headroom on both channels (Power)

After having played the MKIII and gotten used to it, it is really hard for me to enjoy playing the MKII any longer, I actually just sold my last remaining one.

I can't comment on the 100W vs 50W, the 50W is so heavy it is hard for me to imagine how heavy the 100W is with the larger transformers, would be too heavy to move around much

C4th

Post by C4th » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

That's good to hear about the improved, or should I say different character to the dirty channel.
Main reason I ask about the clean channel - the band I'm in at the moment I'm playing and singing, so certain tracks require just plain strumming. I've always found the the mkii clean to break up too early and sound very boomy. I have to make drastic on-board eq cuts to make it sound even remotely close to the dirty channel.

Thanks for your info though.

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:59 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about on the clean channel, I think you would find the MKIII clean better than the MKII in regards to boomy

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:42 pm

One thing I have experienced is that the 100 watt version of a head will typically have more bass response and a bit extra low end since it has the larger transformer. I have a 100 RV MK III and have really loved everything it does but I notice the clean channel needs to get pushed a bit before the high end catches up with the low end. At low volumes, it can sound pretty dull but at band volume it sounds fantastic.

The addition of the attenuator is more than enough justification in my book. I love having all that flexibility. With the attenuator, I notice myself using the RV for bedroom play more than my TH30 combo because it is easier to control the volume.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

C4th

Post by C4th » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 pm

That's interesting. The attenuator was part of the reason I'm interested in getting the mkiii. Do you ever power the amp down to 70, 50 watts etc, or do you just use the attenuator on the full 100 watts to get lower volume? Also, do you notices any tone difference when powered down, or using the attenuator?

Thanks.

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 pm

The attenuator is an interesting feature, I find it most useful for just fine tuning the volume levels, I never really thought of it as a useful tool to get a more 'driven' tone. I do find that it sounds a little more open and alive with the attenuator off.
Strange thing with the 50W MKIII, the half power switch really doesn't seem to change anything noticeably. In contrast to my TH30 head when you go to half power or down to 7 watts each setting has a very different sound and feel, this is not the case with my 50W MKIII.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:11 am

C4th wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 pm
That's interesting. The attenuator was part of the reason I'm interested in getting the mkiii. Do you ever power the amp down to 70, 50 watts etc, or do you just use the attenuator on the full 100 watts to get lower volume? Also, do you notices any tone difference when powered down, or using the attenuator?

Thanks.
Yes, I use the attenuator in a couple different ways.

1. For home use so I can fine tune my volume easier.

2. To drive the clean channel into a spankier tone (however, this doesn’t do anything to get the clean channel into the chimney territory, it seems only real volume does that)

3. Live I use it as a solo boost, I set the attenuator to about 8:30 and then get my amp to rhythm volume. When I want to do a solo, I kick off the attenuator with the footswitch and I have a nice volume boost.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard