Rocker 30C help please

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bfitz
Orange Expert

Re: Rocker 30C help please

Post by bfitz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:28 pm

My R30C was a bit flubby and noisey and such when i bought it second hand and similarly someone had made a hatchet job of the back panel

Anyway long story short spotted some redplating, got some valves from watford valves for both the power section and the pre-amp and its like a different amp

At home, i cant really get the thing turned up on the drive channel with the gain at noon the volume is sitting at around the second notch. The thing is an animal

Id suggest a full re-tube and you should be flying it

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Go for a full retube. I've been pleased with JJs pre and power amp valves in the past, they are meant to be quite robust too.

You should still change the preamp valves one at a time if you can. That way, you know which preamp valve is dodgy (throw them away straight away) and you can keep the ok one (s) as working spare.

I bet your seller will have stuffed a bunch of crappy valves in it to save a recent set for himself.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:00 pm

In the UK, hotrox.co.uk or Watford valves is the way to go.

I like hotrox, Watford valves keep adding the VAT after, so keep thinking the price looks good, and get disappointed once they add the VAT!!!! :lol:

Both well reknown supplier.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks to all,i ordered the JJ's from Watford Valve,this morning,yes adding the vat on checkout is err,dissapointing :) but never mind :) .
Just for the record I ordered 3 xJJ 83S & to 2 xJJ EL84(Jondog I meant EL34) :) Mk II(Both Tesla?).
Last edited by Gordy G on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Gordy G wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:18 pm
Thanks to all,i ordered the JJ's from Watford Valve,this morning,yes adding the vat on checkout is err,dissapointing :) but never mind :) .
Just for the record I ordered 3 xJJ 83S & to 2 xJJ EL84 Mk II(Both Tesla?).
You want EL34, not EL84

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:12 pm

oops,i meant EL34,another sign of old age

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Regardless of brand, Watford valves sell some good valves, I'm sure you will see a massive difference but let us know how you get on, cheers
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 am

Great - I'm looking forward to reading about your input once you've done that valve swap.

Hopefully some are still good, and you'll be able to isolate the dodgy ones and throw them away.
Ant

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 am

I will of course post the results of the Valve change(I never understand why members post with questions then don't follow up with the results).
I don't know when they'll ship,but we have a Gig on Tuesday,i don't expect them to arrive by then,but we'll see.
Thanks.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

Hi,valves delivered from Watford valves,fitted & had a quick plonk in the house,sounds better,but still not sure it's right,but i'll know better after gig on the 11th.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 30C help please(update after gig)

Post by Gordy G » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am

Gigged with the R30C last night,big improvement in the sound of the Amp after new valves,but sadly I think I might have caused a new problem :(
Because the 30C sounds so much better with my ext.cab I risked running the Amp with its 16ohm speaker & the cabs 8 ohm speaker from the 8 ohm taps & about 3/4 through the 2nd spot it suddenly lost its new found good sound(to be more accurate it was coming & going),so switched over to my JRT for the remainder of the set.
So I suppose the question is could using the 8 &16 ohm speaker together have damaged something? :(
Still when the Rocker was working correctly it sounded great,much better than before the valve change (way better than the JRT).
So the plan is to add a PPC112 to the Rocker,then if I've blown something get it fixed,now that I know what it's capable of. :D
As usual i'll report back.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 pm

You should never attempt to play a 16 and 8ohms cab at the same time with an orange amp.

Man...... :(

2 possibilities.

1) one of the new valves developped a fault (early death is common in electronics)
2) you damaged the transformers, one of the most expensive part in your amp.

Have you played it since? Is the volume still coming and going?

You could put the old valves back in - you know it won't sound great, but if the volume come and go with the new valves but is staying constant with the old crappy valves, you inow your issue is with the valves.
Ant

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30C help please(update after gig)

Post by a.hun » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Gordy G wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am
Gigged with the R30C last night,big improvement in the sound of the Amp after new valves,but sadly I think I might have caused a new problem :(
Because the 30C sounds so much better with my ext.cab I risked running the Amp with its 16ohm speaker & the cabs 8 ohm speaker from the 8 ohm taps & about 3/4 through the 2nd spot it suddenly lost its new found good sound(to be more accurate it was coming & going),so switched over to my JRT for the remainder of the set.
So I suppose the question is could using the 8 &16 ohm speaker together have damaged something? :(
Still when the Rocker was working correctly it sounded great,much better than before the valve change (way better than the JRT).
So the plan is to add a PPC112 to the Rocker,then if I've blown something get it fixed,now that I know what it's capable of. :D
As usual i'll report back.
If running both cabs from the 8 ohms tap you shouldn’t have done any damage. That is a 5.33 ohm load which is a safe enough low direction mis-match from an 8 ohm output. (As long as you didn’t use both the 8 and 16 ohm outputs at the same time I’d suspect something else...
Possibly one of the new valves starting to fail - from new is when weak ones tend to show up. Or a totally different problem maybe?

Amp seen a tech? I’d advise it...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks,again for replying.
LPL,yes it just goes to show the older you get the dafter you get :)
Andy,yes both 8 ohm taps used(not 16ohm)& no I didn't plug it back in @ the end of the gig.
I'll be dragging it into the house today to see how it sounds.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 30C help please Updated.

Post by Gordy G » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Follow up,i plugged into the Rocker & from switch on it sounds as it did before it started acting up at the gig :D
So i'm leaving it switched on in normal mode(not standby)for a couple of hours & see if it stays ok.
However,any comments on the following,i found that the mains cable(iec)connector although plugged in was loose in the socket & not pushed all the way home,it seems fairly loose to me & it only gets tight when fully pushed home(not noticed this before),could this have had an effect on the Amp acting up at the gig ?,just a thought,or maybe clutching at straws :) .