Selling Ad30 for Rocker30??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

98muted

Selling Ad30 for Rocker30??

Post by 98muted » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm

I purchased my first orange last year....an Ad30htc head and got a PPC212OB to pair with it. I fell in love with the amp when I tried it and had to buy one, and to this day I still love the sounds I get out of it. Unfortunately, the band I play in plays surf punkish/rock covers of some beach boys, rolling stones, and also covers typical punk music. The last few shows I have had, I have opted for my blues deville and pedals over my ad30, as I just can't get that raw, punk sound out of it, I think it's just too compressed.

So, while I love the amp, and if I was playing in a different band, would probably keep it, I am leaning towards selling it and buying a rocker 30 head. Will I be dissapointed? or will I end up liking the rocker 30 better? I am looking for a more raw sound, with a little more gain that is very dynamic with picking.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Selling Ad30 for Rocker30??

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Sounds to me like the R.30 would suit you much better. I’ve compared the two here many times, but basically the AD30 is one of the most compressed 30 watters out there, the R.30 one of the least compressed with a massive (loud to soft) dynamic range. The gain range is massive compared to the AD30 and it does also have a much rawer more ‘punk’ attitude. I say go for it!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

The R30 will get you that, but whether that'll be more to your taste is hard to predict until you play it with your band.

Any chance you can score a R30 head, keep the others and wait a bit before you decide which one you keep?
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Tried the AD30 once it was okay. Tried it again and it was better but I didn't smile. I never smile, unless I'm playing my Rocker 30. Raw/Punky is what people tend to call it. If you need any edge of breakup tones you will have a bit of trouble through. Natural channel is glorious at stage volumes but doesn't stay clean. If you need crystal cleans you will probably want a clean boost to run on the natural channel, or to run a second amp all together.

HAVING FUN!

>:(

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Um, sell the Deville and get a Rocker!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 pm

I own both. Yes the R30 dirty channel will probably nail what your looking for but ....

Your saying you fell in love with the sd30htc and you still love the sounds ....any chance you can afford the R30 and still keep the ad30tc ? or save up until you can?....it sounds like you will miss It!!! ....and does anyone know how long any band or project will last.

Also the natural channel on the R30 is not everyone's taste has no eq and is much quieter than the dirty channel.

The ad30 has great tone imo , the valve sag sounds great and I think more versatile if you like a clean but slightly dirty tone the ad30 does that much better imo.
Last edited by Ronnie Robinson on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

98muted

Post by 98muted » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Ya, sounds like I made the wrong call which I hate admitting. The ad30 is an awesome amp, just isn’t practical for me. I have a Blues DeVille for cleans that I’ve had since 1995 and I really like. I’m really looking for something that just sounds raw and big which it sounds like the rocker 30 is. It should be pretty easy to buy/sell at a wash or even a slight profit as the ad30s I see are typically a little pricier. I could keep both but I just don’t see myself using the ad30 that much and the rocker 30 should scratch my orange itch. I’m thinking I’ll get the rocker 30, and wait to sell the ad30 until I make sure it’s what I’m looking for

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:05 pm

98muted wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:23 pm
Ya, sounds like I made the wrong call which I hate admitting. The ad30 is an awesome amp, just isn’t practical for me. I have a Blues DeVille for cleans that I’ve had since 1995 and I really like. I’m really looking for something that just sounds raw and big which it sounds like the rocker 30 is. It should be pretty easy to buy/sell at a wash or even a slight profit as the ad30s I see are typically a little pricier. I could keep both but I just don’t see myself using the ad30 that much and the rocker 30 should scratch my orange itch. I’m thinking I’ll get the rocker 30, and wait to sell the ad30 until I make sure it’s what I’m looking for

Sounds wise.
If you can hang on to the 3 of them for a while, you'll know exactly what you need.

I must say, I have both an AD15 and R30, and don't intend to let either go......
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 am

I'd consider looking outside of Orange if your main course is "surf, punk, beach boys rolling stones" type music, because personally I think people are overselling the difference between the AD30 and the R30. Yeah they're different but they both still sound "Orange" and neither has what i'd describe as that crisp punk sound, Orange will always be darker. The R30 is a great amp but it has basically one type of sound that it does really well, it's a "take it or leave it" amp, and the "natural" channel has no controls other than volume so again, you either like the clean sound or you don't, and if you don't, there's not much you can do about it. My opinion is outside the norm around here though so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally I think for what you're after, and espically since you like the Blues DeVille, i'd check out the sounds of a hard-driven Twin Reverb or an old JCM800 before you commit to anything.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 am

Gray wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 am
I'd consider looking outside of Orange if your main course is "surf, punk, beach boys rolling stones" type music, because personally I think people are overselling the difference between the AD30 and the R30. Yeah they're different but they both still sound "Orange" and neither has what i'd describe as that crisp punk sound, Orange will always be darker. The R30 is a great amp but it has basically one type of sound that it does really well, it's a "take it or leave it" amp, and the "natural" channel has no controls other than volume so again, you either like the clean sound or you don't, and if you don't, there's not much you can do about it. My opinion is outside the norm around here though so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally I think for what you're after, and espically since you like the Blues DeVille, i'd check out the sounds of a hard-driven Twin Reverb or an old JCM800 before you commit to anything.

HERETIC!!! BURN HIM! BUUUUUURRRRNNNN!!!! :lol:

Dunno, I've owned the AD30tc, I have an AD15 (same as channel A of AD30tc), and i have a R30.

Whilst they can be made to sound similar, their feel and response are very different. The R30 is raw, more aggressive and in your face.

It's fantastic for punk, it should work for the more classic rock songs, for the surf songs.... that's the tricky part.

I think the OP is trying to get it and keep his current amps, so he'll be able to make the right choice.
Ant

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:41 am

:lol:

I had an R30 for a week and currently own an AD30w/2x12. They're very different amps for sure, the AD30 is tube rectified, more compressed, and has more chime in the clean sound similar to a Vox. The R30 is all about the dirty channel and what it does it does well, nothing else Orange offers can really touch it in that regard. In fairness i'll point out some people love the natural channel too, but if it doesn't tickle your willy the way it's EQ'd from the factory (and it didn't for me) you can't really "fix" it. Personally i'm not sure the OP is going to be completely satisfied with an R30 if the AD30 isn't doing it for him, that's just me and my little opinion.

Just throwing out a reminder that there's a lot of fish in the sea, so to speak. :wink:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:56 am

Yeah, the R30 most certainly isn't the most polyvalent amp.

But that dirt....... I didn't mean to keep mine, I bought really cheap to flip it. Of course, i plugged in..... and..... kept it....!!!!

That dirt it offers really is quite something.
Ant

98muted

Post by 98muted » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Hmmm, this is making my decision tougher.....I'm not a big fan of the Marshall sound, it just doesn't do it for me. A cranked twin reverb would probably be a good option, but I would rather sell the deville and get one of those down the road.

When I played a rocker 30, it was at music shop volumes, but it had the rawness and punk sound I was looking for, does it hold up at gigging volumes and not get too loose? The problem I have is that all of our songs are "punky" covers of stuff like beach boys and jumpin jack flash (think Johnny winter version) and the AD30 sounds awesome on those but I feel I'm missing something when playing Bad Religion, Nofx, Descendents covers. I like the AD30 and wouldn't hesitate getting another one in the future, it just doesn't do everything I need it to. I don't need a great clean channel, something serviceable at light breakup is enough. I just need to hear the rocker 30, both channels at gigging volumes

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 pm

How about getting a Bax or something else to run with your AD? I had the Joyo Orange Juice for a few months and I will say it got freakishly close to my R30. Might be worth looking into if you want to keep the AD.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 pm

If you like the AD30 for most of what you do, but just need another sound out of it, you can get a pedal. This is what I do with mine, I just hit it with a pedal when I need meaner breakup out of it. Many people are very happy with the Rocker 30, and I'm sure you can't go wrong with either amp. But you may not need to buy an entirely new amp, and risk missing what the AD30 does that you like.

I'd settle on whatever does a tone that you'll use for the majority of the time. If you want a more raw sound of the the AD30, use channel 2, crank the mids, and turn the bass down slightly below 12:00. Turn the treble up to suit. If it's not mean enough, try a pedal that generates its own dirt. All you need is a slight amount of breakup to blend with the AD30's overdrive and it will sound more aggressive with the 2 clipping sources.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI