Dual Terror question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gorillaguy

Dual Terror question

Post by gorillaguy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 am

Hey guys quick question for Dual Terror owners, how do you find the volume vs something like an ac30/hot rod deluxe? Is it a comparable volume to an ac30 through a 2x12 cab or is it significantly quieter? I've been wanting a dual terror for awhile now but my 100w 1x12 katana (solid state but supposed to be loud) needs to be maxed out to keep up with my drummer so i'm worried the terror might not have the power and it's tough saying if an amp is loud enough for someone elses situation on the internet so was wondering how it compared to some other amps I know have the power i'm after.
Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if it's an annoying question.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Dual Terror question

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:08 am

It will be loud enough!!

Ok I've not used the dual terror but own two 30 watt Orange amps and also a 15 watt TTHW ...all are loud enough to be used with a drummer in a live situation , the 30 watts are loud! especially if your using V30s in a 2x12 such as the Orange PPC 2x12.

There are plenty people here who use them live.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Dual Terror owner here! It will absolutely get loud enough for a drummer. For gigs, I've never taken it off 7 watt mode because we are mic'd up 100% of the time. When I rehearse with my band, I bump it up to 15 watts and I've never had a problem EVER. If I was still playing in my old punk band, I'd probably use the 30 watt mode, but I don't have a need for that much volume these days.

I have owned a Vox AC30 and much prefer the Dual Terror in every aspect. I'd say that have around the same volume using 2x12 speakers. The Orange has a better mid range, in my opinion, and has a better "edge of breakup" tone that Vox's are supposed to excel at. I don't know why, but I feel like the Dual Terror is sooooo underrated. Seems like they should sell a million of them. Perhaps people are turned off by lack of effects loop. But, it loves my Dispatch Master at low gain or high gain settings. Again, I've never had a problem! My favorite amp!!!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I have the Katana 100w and find it hard to believe it has to be max'd to be heard over the drummer. I'm scared to even put mine in 100w mode. At band rehearsal, I usually run it 50w with MV maxed but with channel vol only at 9:00. Granted my drummer is not heavy handed. But to run the CV any more is ear-splitting. I have only played a DT at a store and never cranked it, but my guess is the Katana is louder. I will say that in my short experience with the DT, my TH30 is def louder than the DT, no contest. So even though the DT is more than capable of handling gig volume, I just can't say that it would be louder than the Katana.

Gordy G
Tiny Terror

Post by Gordy G » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 pm

The problem is,there are drummers,there are loud drummers,then there are LOUD drummers. :(

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Give them smaller sticks (7A) and see how it goes. Funny how super loud drummers seem to always have two things in common. Thick/heavy sticks, and broken cymbals :)

And as a final threat, tell them if they can't learn to play the proper volume they have to play with hot rods. OH! I'm a gigging drummer so I understand the struggle. Something that really changed my drumming life while playing in lower volume situations were a pair of Regal Tip Plastic Rods. I was going through the wood hot rods nearly one set a practice (and at $20 a pair!!!). The Regal Tips have lasted me a solid 2 years, and I used to use them for every practice and most of our shows. A wrap of hockey tape about an inch from the end really helps with stick response!

ENJOY!

Sure a good drummer can be fast and technical, but an amazing drummer is quiet. It's quite an interesting exercise to attempt playing all of our material as quiet as possible. Really focuses on different muscle groups.

WOOHOO!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:27 pm

AH THEY ARE CALLED BLASTICKS!!!

gorillaguy

Post by gorillaguy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:44 pm

mj6thbuif wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm
I have the Katana 100w and find it hard to believe it has to be max'd to be heard over the drummer. I'm scared to even put mine in 100w mode. At band rehearsal, I usually run it 50w with MV maxed but with channel vol only at 9:00. Granted my drummer is not heavy handed. But to run the CV any more is ear-splitting. I have only played a DT at a store and never cranked it, but my guess is the Katana is louder. I will say that in my short experience with the DT, my TH30 is def louder than the DT, no contest. So even though the DT is more than capable of handling gig volume, I just can't say that it would be louder than the Katana.
At home i thought it would be loud enough easy but found it lacking, you could hear it but it was near maxed on 100 watt and it caused it to heat up quite a lot and begin to squeal at that level. Tone sounded great when played though which was really good for solid state just had no where left to go volume wise and the heat was starting to cause the speaker to smell a little. The katana would be enough for more rock type music but faster hardcore punk stuff gets noisey. Mic'd it would probably be passable in a pinch but unmic'd is doable but not ideal.

Thanks for everyone's replies here, with the drummer this is loud music most guys around here are playing 100 watt stacks in this genre so I don't think quieting the drummer is the answer in this case.

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get a DT and see how it goes, if it struggles it's an amp i've always wanted anyway and can just use around the house and pick up something more powerful to use with the cab. I hope it's enough though, I love the idea of having such a portable rig with a 2x12 and DT.

mj6thbuif
Tiny Terror

Post by mj6thbuif » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Good luck. Curious if you find the DT to be louder than the Katana.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Most people seem to think the days of dimed 100W stacks are long gone. But there are still genres and clubs where insanely loud is expected and required.

Gorillaguy, you said "most guys around here are playing 100 watt stacks in this genre so I don't think quieting the drummer is the answer in this case."

The Dual Terror is as loud or louder than other 30W tube amps. And 100W is only like 4dB louder than 30W (assuming speakers of equal sensitivity) . But a few dB can be the difference between keeping up or struggling.

You say your Katana 1x12 is close to loud enough. If you're happy with its tone, you might consider getting a Katana head and running it through a 2x12 or 4x12 with very efficient speakers.

Do the Katana combos have speaker output jacks? If so, try running your combo into a multi-speaker closed back cab and see if that gets you over the top.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm

100 watt stacks required? Perhaps if you are playing a stadium without PA support yea, but in that case you would have no kick drum or toms cutting through.

WHAT GENRE? TECH DEATH!!!???

I've been in my current band for about 4 years now and played out plenty. Guitar player uses a Blues Jr III and is frequently asked to turn down. Now if you are craving additional bass response then yes the higher wattage heads will help, but at the expensive of stage/band muddiness. Let the bass make the low notes! Now if we are talking about 100 SS watts, then it's a different story. Perhaps a CR120 would be more to your liking if you wanna stay SS and get move volume.

I would also think the DT will be louder than the Katana. I've tried a few of the newer modelling heads and 100 watts is usually an over-estimation. If you look at the power requirements on the back it will let you know if they are actually pumping out true power. The new Yamaha THR100 doesn't pull enough power from the wall to output 100 watts. The smart people think it's closer to a 60 watt output.

And yes, being a drummer myself asking them to shadup a little bit is perfectly acceptable. Especially if everyone is looking for louder gear because he is a jerk :) Hand him a set of 7A sticks and the volume will drop a few DB no question.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm

I certainly don't want to discourage you from replacing your ss modeler with an Orange.

But if your peers are using 100W stacks, it might be better/cheaper in the long run to skip the Dual Terror and go straight to a 100W Orange. They'll win any volume war and make your god of thunder drummer feel like a puny inadequate wimp. And with their excellent master volumes, switchable power levels, and/or built-in attenuators they'll do any volume level the Dual Terror can do.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm

On the Katana 100 back panel, max power consumption is listed as 77 watts. The laws of thermodynamics are pretty clear -- it might be able to put out short bursts of 100W but not continous RMS.

I swear on all that's holy that there are still 300-700 people clubs where bands dime Plexi's and Triple Recs, and the sound guys mike them, the drums, and DI the bass, and make them even louder through the PA.

Insane, and there are fewer and fewer clubs and bands doing that. But it's still a real thing.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:18 pm

yea I think a lot of these amps are going back to the golden days of car audio marketing. Sony was the worst. 5000WATT SUB AMP!!! check out the fine print... 300 watts RMS haha.

Perhaps do a shootout between the DT and the CR120H.

Rlw59
Rocker

Post by Rlw59 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Gorillaguy, aome questions so we have a better idea about your needs.

When you say most of the other guys are using 100W stacks, do you mean tube amps and two 4x12's? Or solid state half stacks?

Are they cranking them for power amp distortion? Or running the master volume low and using preamp distortion or pedals?

Quality cabs with efficient speakers? Or cheapass cabs with crappy speakers? (Efficient speakers can almost double the volume with the same amp wattage.)