Dual Terror question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gorillaguy

Re: Dual Terror question

Post by gorillaguy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 am

Rlw59 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm
Gorillaguy, aome questions so we have a better idea about your needs.

When you say most of the other guys are using 100W stacks, do you mean tube amps and two 4x12's? Or solid state half stacks?

Are they cranking them for power amp distortion? Or running the master volume low and using preamp distortion or pedals?

Quality cabs with efficient speakers? Or cheapass cabs with crappy speakers? (Efficient speakers can almost double the volume with the same amp wattage.)
They'd usually use distortion pedals so not flat out maxing gear but the volume is there. I mean half stacks 1 4x12 with 100watt or there about tubes marshalls/peavy common. Lots of marshall cabs around butt i couldn't tell you the exact speakers and they get micd aswell. Very loud shows. Some genres and scenes are still like this and some genres are inherently louder than others. Not saying they NEED that kind of volume but just an example.

Its not a competetion either if the dual terror gets close to something like an ac30 or blues deluxe it should be fine for me for me and I'll be very happy.

On the katana im not replacing it, i was always planning on picking up something else to go with it once i was playing shows again (I'd taken a break and sold off gear plus used to be able to borrow from friends more back in the day) and have always wanted a tiny terror but have upped that to a dual figuring there's more use for me if im playing with others in bands again.

Anyway im getting a dual terror next week, if it doesn't cut it i still wanted it for around the house and other kinds of music and will just grab something else again for live stuff. Will let you guys know how it does when i get a chance to play with the group again.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Dual Terror question

Post by DiabloS » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am

I own a Boss Katana 100 2X12 combo and I still own and gigged with a Dual Terror in a loud hard rock band with a heavy handed drummer for years. I'm curious to know how you were running your Katana if it wasn't loud enough? Boss actually recommends running the master volume on full or close to it and then adjusting your channel volume accordingly. What channel do you use mostly? And what EQ settings roughly?

The Katana is extremely loud even for a 100W SS amp. The Dual Terror will have even less clean headroom and I'd guess they're both really close in overall maximum volume. These are both great amps, but very different depending on your needs. The Katana is extremely versatile with tons of different built-in tones and effects. The Dual Terror is fantastic but very limited in comparison. It's a no frills amp, if you only need one or two sounds and don't use a lot of effects, it's a great choice.

I think any improvements you'd get with the Dual Terror when it comes to volume would have more to do with the Cab then the head. You might just need a 2X12 cab, then either the Katana 100 head, 2X12 combo or Dual Terror paired with a 2X12 should be more than enough.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 am

What Genre/Scene? Emo? Post Hardcore? Grindcore? Deathcore? Crabcore? Swancore? um... Metalcore? Friendshipcore?

gorillaguy

Post by gorillaguy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:20 am

DiabloS wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 am
I own a Boss Katana 100 2X12 combo and I still own and gigged with a Dual Terror in a loud hard rock band with a heavy handed drummer for years. I'm curious to know how you were running your Katana if it wasn't loud enough? Boss actually recommends running the master volume on full or close to it and then adjusting your channel volume accordingly. What channel do you use mostly? And what EQ settings roughly?

The Katana is extremely loud even for a 100W SS amp. The Dual Terror will have even less clean headroom and I'd guess they're both really close in overall maximum volume. These are both great amps, but very different depending on your needs. The Katana is extremely versatile with tons of different built-in tones and effects. The Dual Terror is fantastic but very limited in comparison. It's a no frills amp, if you only need one or two sounds and don't use a lot of effects, it's a great choice.

I think any improvements you'd get with the Dual Terror when it comes to volume would have more to do with the Cab then the head. You might just need a 2X12 cab, then either the Katana 100 head, 2X12 combo or Dual Terror paired with a 2X12 should be more than enough.
The katana was loud enough but only just and it got very hot and noisy doing it but it cut through fine and had enough volume just had nowhere to go for more if needed. Used mainly the orange sneaky amp with both volumes 90% gain about 80% mids just over halfway treble about halfway bass lowish. Love the tone it gets. Im not getting the DT for a big boost in volume, i always wanted the dt aswell just using the katana as an example of the volume im hoping the dt can get and hoping it can push just alittle more so i dont have to run it totally dimed all the time.

gorillaguy

Post by gorillaguy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:21 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:26 am
What Genre/Scene? Emo? Post Hardcore? Grindcore? Deathcore? Crabcore? Swancore? um... Metalcore? Friendshipcore?
hardcore/grindish/d beatish/trash stuff