Micro Terror VS Micro Dark

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

b80
Tiny Terror

Micro Terror VS Micro Dark

Post by b80 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Fellow Orange users, I come to thee seeking answers!!

I am looking to purchase either a Micro Terror or Micro Dark. I would mainly use these for Direct In recording (late at night when my kid is asleep). Which has the better "edge of breakup" tone? Which has the better direct in tone? I've only played the Micro Dark in person but I really loved the sound through a 2x12. Before I make the jump, I figured I'd ask for opinions. Thanks to all for your help!!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: Micro Terror VS Micro Dark

Post by mici88 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 pm

I had them two. Now the one that's left is the Micro Dark, not because MD is better than MT, but it just fits my needs more.

Micro Terror is rather vintage-voiced whilst Micro Dark is dedicated to modern hi-gain-a-like stuff. Micro Terror does not have a fx loop which was a huge drawback to me since I am a heavy delay user. Plus Micro Dark has a CabSim headphone output.

All in all they are both great tiny beasts, can't really go wrong with them :)

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:30 pm

I actually think the Micro Dark is better for slight breakup, you can get a slight scoop and a bit more bass if you turn the tone knob a bit to the left, which I thought kind of sounds like 1940s jazz or1950s blues if you don't turn the gain up high.

Plus supposedly the headphone jack has more emulation than the Micro Terror.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 pm

MD for sure, just based on the cab sim alone.

That said the real answer is to get a used TT :)

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Cool, thanks for the suggestions! I will pursue the Micro Dark for late night Direct In situations. My plan is to own ALL of the Terror series amps. One at a time, though.
My band The Start Up
Spotify

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Well, brought home a Micro Dark and couldn't be happier! Sounds huge though my 2x12. Sounds great utilizing the cab sim! It's a winner!

My band The Start Up
Spotify

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:16 pm

b80 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 pm
Well, brought home a Micro Dark and couldn't be happier! Sounds huge though my 2x12. Sounds great utilizing the cab sim! It's a winner!

Great!!!

I know people weren't entirely happy with the headphone out from the micro terror, so great to know the cab son on the dark terror is good.

Enjoy!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 am

Good choice. I have a Micro Dark and Micro Terror only because they are relatively cheap. They are both awesome but the Dark has the edge because to my ear the cleans sound a bit better and the effects loop is a no brainer. The Terror is awesome for old school crunch and it sounds fantastic with distortion pedals. I play both through a 16 Ohm V30 equipped Hughes and Kettner TM 112 cab and couldn't be happier with the tones I get.

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:10 pm

OrangeBoy wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:34 am
Good choice. I have a Micro Dark and Micro Terror only because they are relatively cheap. They are both awesome but the Dark has the edge because to my ear the cleans sound a bit better and the effects loop is a no brainer. The Terror is awesome for old school crunch and it sounds fantastic with distortion pedals. I play both through a 16 Ohm V30 equipped Hughes and Kettner TM 112 cab and couldn't be happier with the tones I get.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:16 pm
b80 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Great!!!

I know people weren't entirely happy with the headphone out from the micro terror, so great to know the cab son on the dark terror is good.

Enjoy!!!!
Thanks guys! This is the perfect "at home" amp for me. I can jam through my cab during daytime hours and plug in some headphones/play through my mixer when the kid is asleep.
It plays nice with my Klon and Dispatch Master! I just love it!!!
My band The Start Up
Spotify