Orange amps holding their value?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

Orange amps holding their value?

Post by afjungemann » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I have been reading more and more from this forum and others that Orange amps don't hold their value very well. Is this true?

My experience seems to be a bit unique because the area I live in loves orange amps so when one is available, people take notice and it usually gets snatched up pretty quickly. Marshalls and Mesas on the other hand are a dime a dozen and don't bring much.

Even in the cab world, most name brand cabs are about the same price new but used orange cabs have a higher price on them than any of the other used cabs. You can get a 1960 cab for pennies it seems.

I am curious if orange doesn't actually hold its value or if it is a case of moving high end gear is always a little tough because you have less of a market. The only amps I have seen that actually hold their value very well is Friedman.

I also rarely buy an orange amp that I don't intend to keep for a long time so maybe I have a very limited view on the matter.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Re: Orange amps holding their value?

Post by Dark Helmet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

HUGE variances between specific amps, there really are no hard and fast rules...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm

I don't agree with that buzz at all.

After seeing prices for used Mesa and UK built Marshall amps I think that Orange amps hold up at least as well as those.
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm

You usually can sell an Orange amp in good condition for 50% of its value.

That said..... and I think I can list those prices because they're all out of production....
I have acquired and AD30tc combo for £450.
2 AD15 for £275 each.
A tiny terror combo for £200.
Orange R30 head for £255.

I will admit it, I'm a bargain hunter, and have been happy to wait for the cheap bargain to come up.

Out of all the amps listed, I have kept 1 AD15 and the R30 head.

I've made good profits on the rest by selling it or trading it.

So I myself am mixed in views.... you can sell it for the right price, but if not in a hurry, you can score them super cheap.....

And for my wonderful RV50, which I bought new, i would hate to sell it now. I know I would take such a hit!!!!

Compared to fender Princeton reverb or deluxe reverb (Those really keep a good resale value) I would take a massive hit.
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:30 pm

No higher than 60% of retail is what I usually see around these parts (not uncommon to see something around 40% either). I see the non UK amps selling for closer to 70% retail as they were cheaper to buy in the first place (DT's, TT's, TH30's, CR120's selling by the boat load on Kijiji, where RV's, and OR's, are sitting for months). As I'm sure everyone knows I was about to lose a fortune on my RV100MK1 but stumbled across a lucky trade. I think we can talk prices since it's way out of production, but most offers I received were around $800-1000 CAD. I see more and more folks financing gear these days, heck I've even financed something I couldn't afford at the time, but just had to have :) There are so many 0% financing deals these days that a $5000 dream guitar/amp is totally within reach. Why would I spend $2500 used, when I can finance it for 3K @ 0% and have something brand new with a warranty? I'm not sure many humans who have a few grand burning a hole in their pockets for used gear. Heck I know musicians in local bands that have to save up for several months to get a single pedal.

I've grown up quite a bit since buying the RV100, and there is no way in h311 that I would spend that kind of money on an amp anymore (life has other priorities you know?). Although I usually buy with the intention of keeping something forever, I can't help but worry about re-sale value these days. Not to mention the job climate in Alberta right now. I'm damn lucky to still have a job at this point. I had never intended to sell the RV100, but after a few years my music style was changing and it just didn't cut it anymore. Although we don't like it, I think the shift to building things in the PRC/on a cheaper scale is good for both the used and new market. Although most people scoff at non UK/US construction, my OG TT was bought new around 12 years ago and I've never had an issue with it. I was also shocked at how great the CR60 sounded. On the other hand the tolex jobs from the PRC factory have always been questionable but it's goona get beat up anyway right?

:D

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Ok, maybe I have just been getting the wrong impression then because these numbers all sound like I would expect. I am also a deal hunter. I don't like paying list price with fear of needing to sell it so I usually wait until something comes up for cheaper.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm
Compared to fender Princeton reverb or deluxe reverb (Those really keep a good resale value) I would take a massive hit.
I have really noticed that too. I was interested in picking up a princeton and was blown away by used prices.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 am

I don't think used prices are any different to any other amp manufacturer and it's no different with guitars.

Yes you can certainly get a bargain ... because people have different reasons for selling ...I picked a R30 combo for £275, from a guy who did n't like the amp at all but around 50 -60 % of new price is frequently the norm from the amps I've bought 2nd hand. Alternatively there are always people who overprice there used amps.... hopefully these don't sell and the seller has to bring their prices down.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am

I have to say, they sure seem like they hold their value in the US. Ant's prices are amazing - but that's right place right time with cash in hand. You can't touch a used AD30TC combo for less than $1100 I've found.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 am

bclaire wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am
I have to say, they sure seem like they hold their value in the US. Ant's prices are amazing - but that's right place right time with cash in hand. You can't touch a used AD30TC combo for less than $1100 I've found.
Billy beat me to it, in a way. I was about to post up what I heard someone say recently. "If you want to buy an Orange amp, be prepared to pay a lot." It seems even "a lot" applies to used Orange gear too.

adkguy07

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:07 pm

bclaire wrote:
Interesting you say that, because I’ve had absolutely zero interest in mine with it listed at $1000. The amp has no notable flaws and no one is biting at that price. I see them selling on Reverb for less, or sitting for months.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:18 pm

bclaire wrote:
Ant's prices are amazing - but that's right place right time with cash in hand.
Totally.
As said, I bought them for that much, and traded or sold for much higher - not the AD15, I only sold that one for around £330 I think, I bought it for low but normal market value.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm

It's interesting - knowing what something is worth and being ready to buy right away. And it applies to things other than guitars and amps.... when I bought my car, the used car dealer had it for $5K below book value, which was a deal in and of itself, but when we talked, offered up another $500 off since they got into it for a good price. Didn't have to haggle or anything! Now I have 225K miles on it and it's probably the best car I've owned! (And it fits all of my gear)

Probably the smartest purchase was my 1966 Strat that I bought in 1973 for $130. That's worth a bit more now...!

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:28 pm

bclaire wrote:
I got my AD30 combo for $750....

I bought my AD30 head for $900 (incl shipping), sold that for $850...

My luck with guitars is less-awesome....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm
It's interesting - knowing what something is worth and being ready to buy right away. And it applies to things other than guitars and amps.... when I bought my car, the used car dealer had it for $5K below book value, which was a deal in and of itself, but when we talked, offered up another $500 off since they got into it for a good price. Didn't have to haggle or anything! Now I have 225K miles on it and it's probably the best car I've owned! (And it fits all of my gear)

Probably the smartest purchase was my 1966 Strat that I bought in 1973 for $130. That's worth a bit more now...!
A 66 strat for $130 is pretty hard to beat ... Was that a good price too back in 73?

I've had some good luck with guitars too, but I haven't seen a great deal for a while now.

And the last 2 great deals I've seen and bought...... I seem tonnage kept for myself. :mrgreen:

Great deal or not, when you keep it, it gets expensive!!!!!! :lol:

But I'd like to think I'm much richer for having a SG 70s Tribute and a G&L ASAT Special Tribute in my life than the cash in my pocket. :lol: I'm still trying to explain thay concept to my wife....... :lol: :roll: :lol:
Ant

cddsix
Tiny Terror

Post by cddsix » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:37 pm

I have flipped a lot of Orange and Marshall on craigslist. Unfortunately I find that Orange ads hardly ever get any responses. I have eventually sold some, and for decent return, but it's pretty rare to ever get a response, whereas with a brand like Marshall you get tons of responses.

I wish I saw more Oranges listed on craigslist, if they were good deals I'd be buying them up!