Orange ppc 112 speaker swap for G12H-150 Redback

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Orange ppc 112 speaker swap for G12H-150 Redback

Post by Rozz » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi All,
I am awaiting delivery of a Celestion G12H-150 Redback so I can fit it to one of my Orange PPC112 cabs, it should fit ok. Reason being so I can use my CR120H with just one speaker cab and know it can handle the power. I also want to see if it will deliver slightly cleaner cleans perhaps similar to the G12H Anniversary that is in my TH30 combo. I have seen a few youtube videos and it seems to be ok in comparisons, but has anybody had any experience with this speaker? I know fiveightandten suggested it for a project wrath was doing back in September. It should come tomorrow (Sat) and I hope to fit it Sunday with a rehearsal on Tuesday, so I will let people know how I get on with it, it won’t have broken in by then of course. Cheers. Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Re: Orange ppc 112 speaker swap for G12H-150 Redback

Post by Mystic38 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 pm

If there is a family resemblance to the G12H30 then that G12H may well have more pronounced/extended low end..?..

If you discover this, then mebbe making a new back panel to make the cab open back may help..not least of which would help that speaker breathe in that small box...tis a small CB cab for that power.

just a thought
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Rozz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm
Hi All,
I am awaiting delivery of a Celestion G12H-150 Redback so I can fit it to one of my Orange PPC112 cabs, it should fit ok. Reason being so I can use my CR120H with just one speaker cab and know it can handle the power. I also want to see if it will deliver slightly cleaner cleans perhaps similar to the G12H Anniversary that is in my TH30 combo. I have seen a few youtube videos and it seems to be ok in comparisons, but has anybody had any experience with this speaker? I know fiveightandten suggested it for a project wrath was doing back in September. It should come tomorrow (Sat) and I hope to fit it Sunday with a rehearsal on Tuesday, so I will let people know how I get on with it, it won’t have broken in by then of course. Cheers. Phil

No idea how it will turn oit, but looking forward to reading about your input.

Do you have a V30 at the moment?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks Ian / Ant,

Yes I did/am wondering about the size of the cab, a good point about making it open back. Yes, both my PPC 112's have V30's at the moment. My TH30 combo has a G12H30 and I really like the cleans on that. I am looking forward to experimenting a bit.
Cheers
Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Speakers make a huge difference.

The G12H30s pretty much made my RV50 clean channel sound like a deluxe reverb type clean. Huge difference. I still prefer the V30 overall, but if I could own another cab....... ;)

Again, looking forward to your input.
Speakers make such a big difference, people often overlook that.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 am

Just a quick update, with a more comprehensive evaluation/write up to come.
I was very impressed with this speaker, it does to me sound a lot like the G12H30 in my TH30 Combo and it works very well in conjunction with that combo as well. With the CR120 Head, it sounded really good on its own and I seem to be getting a cleaner clean, which is what I wanted. To be honest, I was a bit scared to take it to full power, but was close to my normal gigging levels so all seemed good. I will be rehearsing this weekend so I will give it a few more hours on the speaker and maybe push the volume a bit more. But, at the moment for me, I think it is a keeper. I had a bit of trouble taking the back panel off my PPC112 as it was stuck and needed gentle forcing open, but I managed it without damaging anything. I haven't used it in conjunction with my 2nd PPC112 with V30 as I don't want to introduce too many variables yet. At quietish home volumes, it can be quite chimey on the clean and I have to dial in a little more gain for dirt, but that is probably to be expected. (I do not use huge amounts of gain, just crunch and classic rock tones) I have to mention that I don't really have experience with any other speakers as since I have been playing again, I have only known the V30 and G12H30, so my comparisons will be limited.

Phil