New Orange Pedal Day! Getaway Driver

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

New Orange Pedal Day! Getaway Driver

Post by DiabloS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Just got the Getaway Driver pedal today and I was grinning as soon as I started playing through it. Wow, it sounds great!!! It's maybe the first pedal that I've played that claims to sound like a cranked tube amp and actually does. It's fat, punchy, responsive and has a really sweet high end in its attack. I think that's where the magic lies to make it feel like a real cranked amp.

The range of gain is really nice too, even with the gain knob cranked it still comes through clear and is just a phenomenal classic rock sound. Perfect for ZZ top type riffing. Although it's not really a typical metal sound, palm mute chugging is possible with the gain cranked and sounds good for a more Mastodon-esque stoner rock/metal sound. It's really versatile!

The headphones output is ok, good enough to practice with or maybe record scratch tracks. I probably wouldn't record anything serious with it, but it would do in a pinch. My only other minor complaint is the sweep of the volume knob, if you want unity volume to use your clean channel with the pedal disengaged, the volume knob needs to be at around 8'oclock. But that's not a huge deal.

Orange got it right with this pedal, highly recommended!!!

DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

langmurf
Rocker

Re: New Orange Pedal Day! Getaway Driver

Post by langmurf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 am

Congrats!
Orange Rocker 15 Combo, Orange Two Stroke
2007 Gibson Melody Maker; Cort Steinberger

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 am

I'll have to try one of those one day.

What do you play it with?
Do you still have your DT? Does it stack nicely with the amps own dirt?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

thejay
Orange Expert

Post by thejay » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 am

Awesome congrats!
Oranges - R32, OR50, R30, RVMKIII, OR100, AD30, OB212, CB212 (2x)
Non Orange - Mesa, Friedman, Vox & Marshall
Former Oranges - TT, JRT, OR15, RVMKII
YouTube https://bit.ly/2pSp3sk
http://bigbattlebear.bandcamp.com

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 am
I'll have to try one of those one day.

What do you play it with?
Do you still have your DT? Does it stack nicely with the amps own dirt?
So far I've tried it with my Boss Katana 100 2X12 combo, Traynor YCS90 2X12 combo and Dual Terror with Orange PPC212OB. I've played with it for several hours now and it's ridiculous how good this pedal sounds. It's not just a honeymoon period either, I've been using the MI Audio Super Crunch Box (same thing as a JHS Angry Charlie) as my main dirt sound for a few years now, so I have a good basis for comparison. I've A/B'd them several times and there's just something really special going on with the Getaway Driver. The Getaway Driver definitely sounds fuller, responds a bit better to picking dynamics and has an incredible percussive quality to it when hitting muted strings that makes it inspiring to play.

It stacks really well with the amp's own dirt as a clean boost too. I've A/B'd it against my Zvex channel 2 (basically a SHO) and the Getaway Driver wins there too. It sounds so good as a clean boost I'd probably use it as an always on pedal if I were to use it that way. It's not as transparent, but that special thing going on is in there even as a clean boost and only enhances what's already coming out of the amp.

The only thing it didn't do well with the Dual Terror was using it with high gain with the Dual Terror as a clean platform. But that has everything to do with the amp, none of my dirt boxes have sounded that great through the Dual Terror set clean.

Btw, if you live in the UK, there's a contest through this guy's youtube channel to win this pedal. Only a little over 100 views on the video too, so odds are probably good if you enter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALxCML7bcc&t=20s
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror